Thread: Stains that are food safe?

Stains that are food safe?

I had a friend ask me today about food safe finishes. I've read Bob Flexner's book, Understanding Wood Finish, and he talks about 'finish' being food safe after it's completely cured. But I can't find where he talks about stains (pigment or dye) as being food safe or not.

Doesn't any one have an answer to this?

BTW, he's wanting this for a butcher block, so the top finish won't protect it completely from knives and such, so the stain probably will come into contact with food. His wife wants it dark, so the natural look is out.

Thanks in advance.

Craig Stevens

Same applies to stains...once cured, they are also "safe". This is assuming they are oil-based stains that cure. Dyes and stains that are water or alcohol soluble could potentially bleed as they will re-dissolve when they come in contact with their reducer.

IMHO, your friend's wife should reconsider her request. Things like butcher blocks which are meant to be used shouldn't be "artificially" colored, if simply because the colorant doesn't penetrate very far into the wood. Therefore, every cut and scratch will be accentuated. If dark is the desire, use a darker species of wood. That and some mineral oil will provide a reasonably dark look as well as one that can be rejuvenated quickly and effectively.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Same applies to stains...once cured, they are also "safe". This is assuming they are oil-based stains that cure. Dyes and stains that are water or alcohol soluble could potentially bleed as they will re-dissolve when they come in contact with their reducer.

Agreed.

I have some old wood sawhorses that I have set a project on and went about applying a water based dye to. Only later to use them in a project or two later and get water on the horses and it ends up on my hands or clothes or the new project. Even after a few months. DAMHIKT.

HTH

Thanks Jim...That was my gut feeling, but I wanted to hear it from someone else. I agree with the dark stain issue, and told him about it, but, as in most cases, the wife is going to win this one.

Life lessons are sometimes the most valuable.

Craig Stevens

Sometimes I guy has to go get his testicles out of the missus' purse and make a decision. Unless he just wants to say "I told you so" when the butcher block looks like crap after a dozen uses.

Rob