Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project time vs. Shop Upgrade time

It's not a bad thing

I'm about 90/10 too. But boy is that 90% fun. Making things for 'shop export' is not nearly as fun as trying out new techniques and making jigs and figuring out how to make scraps of wood into something useful.

My basement shop is truly my sanctuary. It challenges and centers my mind. I feel most at home and certain of who I am in my shop. Other people have wine or cigars or sports. This is my vice, and I'm proud of it.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I do enjoy it to. I had to make frames for the new windows, well I decide to have fun and take a little extra time and make the frames with half blind dt. Only have 6 more to assembly and it will be doneAtleast they wont fall apart anytime soon. I will try to get some pics. Now I need to find someone that likes standing, anyone willing?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Al Killian View Post
    Now I need to find someone that likes standing, anyone willing?
    Al, I love standing, and since you're not far away ( I live in Toronto) I'd be pleased to come down and stand in your shop.

I'll even bring you some dark Canadian beer so we can stand around and do the creeker bonding thing.

P.S. If you meant sanding, forget it, I've got enough of my own to do...........Rod.

4. I can't tell you how much time I have spent on my shop. It was mostly all shop for a long time. Blowing out the basement wall, expanding the old woodworking shop of my Dad's, into the big room, and took out the storage closet too. All shop now. No big deal but sufficient space at about 24 x 30. It takes up half the basement. I rewired like crazy, all dedicated lines to the box, installed quad flourescent lighting fixtures from Home Depus, the 4' times 4 bulb models, with pull strings in 6 double sections, built router tables, table saw extension table. Everything is a permanent station, although some things are on mobile bases so I can angle to accomodate clearances for extra long runs.
    Now most of my time, when I use the shop is spent using it for projects. My biggest problem is that when I get into the thick of a project, I start piling waste scrap up alongside the miter saw, and table saw, and after a while, I have to watch where I am working. Any suggestions as to what to do with the scrap as it develops without interrupting work flow would be appreciated. With my system, after a while the whole shop needs a cleaning, and that becomes work.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Ummm.

1% working ON shop

80% working IN shop

19% screwing off IN shop [Like now ]

I'm probably 50-50 for the last month or so, before that 100% shop since I just set up shop back in May, and had to build a workbench, tool cabinet and router cabinet, mount several tools on bases, and refurb (and now make) some planes. But I did build a little girl a doll cradle and my daughter a cabinet for her PC (not quite finished).

The important thing though is that I enjoyed it, and the LOML recognizes how much less tense I am. After a heart attack a decade ago, its good lose some of that stress.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Rod, I forgot the part about standing on the ladder polishing all the T&G pine boards that cover the entire interior of the building. The second floor alone is 30' wide x 70' long x 12' high. Don't worry I have plenty of wax.