Thread: Retaining wood color

Question Retaining wood color

Hello,
    I have a question regarding preserving purplehearts wood color. I have a bundle of purpleheart and won't use it for a while. Is there a protector of some type that could be used so that the purple color is retained now and even after I use this type of wood. I've been told this wood will turn brown if not "protected"

Thanks!

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

With purpleheart, it seems to be a combination of UV exposure and oxidation that darkens/browns the wood. If the wood is kept away from sunlight, however, it will stay purple for quite a long time but that purple will slowly become less bright and vibrant.

If you have unfinished pieces you are storing, just keep them out of direct sunlight. Whether due to UV or air exposure, any color change that occurs doesn't go very deep into the wood, so you could always just remove a little from the surfaces when the time comes to work the lumber. If you have finished products in purpleheart, you need to experiment with different finishes that will give you the color you want. From my experience, (which isn't a ton with purpleheart) there aren't an awful lot of products that don't darken the color noticeably and even brown-shift it when applied. If you're looking to keep the wood as brightly-purple as possible, I'd suggest looking into water-based sealers and finishes. Look for a topcoat with UV protection, like perhaps General Finishes' High Performance Poly.

I agree with Raul. Also, everything I've read indicates essentially the same thing.

The best solution I've seen mentioned is purple stain.

Thanks all. I appreciate the information!

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!