Thread: My New Glue Spreader

My New Glue Spreader

This is my new high tech glue spreader. Yes, its an ordinary cheap hair comb.

Just put a line of glue down and place the comb behind the glue with the top of the comb tilted toward you and pressing down slightly just drag it toward you to spread it, any excess glue will stay on the comb. The top is what it looks for a heavy application with the coarse teeth, and the bottom is what it looks like for a conservative application using the fine teeth.

The glue will not adhere to the plastic comb and after it dries just run your thumbnail acrost the ends of the teet and most of the dried glue just pops off, I use a file comb to clean any residue that is left.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Excellent idea! I've been using old foam brushes (with the foam removed). Saw it in an old FWW magazine. Works ok but I will try your idea tonight for sure.

Good Idea

Hadn't thought of that one. I do, however, save all those fake credit and membership cards that I get in the junk mail and use those to spread glue. I feel that is is somehow appropriate to cover that junk with glue.

HB

An additional step to make it more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Beck View Post
    Hadn't thought of that one. I do, however, save all those fake credit and membership cards that I get in the junk mail and use those to spread glue. I feel that is is somehow appropriate to cover that junk with glue.

HB
    I use the fake cards too. One extra thing I do to them is use a pair of scallop edge craft shears on two edges. This helps to evenly distribute the glue and remove excess leaving just enough to give a littel squeeze out and not starve the joint.
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kilpatrick View Post
    I use the fake cards too. One extra thing I do to them is use a pair of scallop edge craft shears on two edges. This helps to evenly distribute the glue and remove excess leaving just enough to give a littel squeeze out and not starve the joint.
    Yes, I borrow my wife's spendy German "pinking shears" to cut a "zig-zag" edge into cc stock. Shhhh...don't tell her....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I just use my finger. Am I missing something here?
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I just don't like washing my hands...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    I just use my finger. Am I missing something here?
    Where do I come up with these titles?!? No Bob, I just get tired of wiping glue off of my fingers when I could've avoided getting it on them in the first place. Although I've always thought that the fingerprints you get when peeling dried glue off of fingertips are really fascinating... I guess I'm easily amused.
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

I generally have to handle parts when gluing up and I get gluey fingerprints on them if I use my hands.