Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PVC Piping for DC - prices VERY high

PVC Piping for DC - prices VERY high

I am looking to pipe my new (to me) cyclone with 6" PVC sewer-pipe as has been recommended here and elsewhere. However, I did some calling around this morning and was SHOCKED at the prices that I am seeing. Not the pipe per-se but the fittings. Pipe is about $2.00 / ft which, while a lot of money, does not seem out of scale. However, what does seem out of scale are the fittings.

Average price for;

"Y", $~35.00
    Coupler, $~12.00
    45, $~18.00

I am asking about non-coregated PVC sewer-pipe (specifically specifying "the thin stuff, not schedule-40").

Do these prices seem reasonable? If not, am I asking for the wrong stuff or does anyone know a place in the Philly metro where I can score some at a reasonable level?

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

Larry

Larry- I just bought 6" SDR35 from Modern Precast in Ottsville, PA (just north of Doylestown 610-847-5112). They have a huge selection.

The standard 6" sewer and drain fittings will work with the sdr35 and are a bit less expensive.

6" pipe was $31.95 for 1 14' section
    Y $16.54
    45 $8.86
    6" to 4" bushing $7.46

Quote Originally Posted by chris weir View Post
    Larry- I just bought 6" SDR35 from Modern Precast in Ottsville, PA (just north of Doylestown 610-847-5112). They have a huge selection.

The standard 6" sewer and drain fittings will work with the sdr35 and are a bit less expensive.

6" pipe was $31.95 for 1 14' section
    Y $16.54
    45 $8.86
    6" to 4" bushing $7.46

Chris - now this seems more reasonable and in-line with my expectations. Thanks for the information.

Try www.mcmaster.com and do a search on "PVC Sewer Pipe Fitting" and see how their prices compare. I use two 45 degree fittings to make a long radius 90 degree since the long radius 90 degree is quite spendy.

Fittings are just pricey at the 6" level.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris' prices were more what I've seen at Lowes. Make sure you look at the SD fittings, not the regular Sched 40.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I use two 45 degree fittings to make a long radius 90 degree since the long radius 90 degree is quite spendy.
    Thanks Chris - that is my plan exactly. I inquired about a long-radius 90 this morning and the guy said that he didn't have one and that I would NOT like the price (enough information for me).

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter View Post
    Chris' prices were more what I've seen at Lowes. Make sure you look at the SD fittings, not the regular Sched 40.
    Jay - thans for the tip, I didn't even know Lowes sold it. As I was reading your post I was on the phone getting another price, this one set a record at $4.95 / foot.

I got my 6-6-6 wyes and 45 els from McMaster Carr. Prices have gone up some since I purchased mine. Some Lowes were closing their stock out of these fittings for a very attractive price. Shame I couldn't get in on that. Lowes is about the only place I've seen the 6-6-4 wyes, and they were about 20.00 with tax.
    At MC now, 6-6-6 wyes are 15.40 and 45 els are 11.29 each. Their web site does not give you shipping prices, nor can you get them to tell you what it will be, which is a little disconcerning, but I've found their prices are always more than fair. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Keep in mind that plastics are made from petroleum...there is bound to be some cost escalation...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you are gettig prices for sched 40 fittings because thats what they want to sell you. I would keep looking.

Huh?

I thought PVC for DC was a no-no. Why the change?

Matt

What is wrong with PVC for a DC, Matt?

Larry
    What are you using the couplers for? I only ask because by the time I'd made a 3rd trip for more pipe/fittings I eventually returned all the couplers bought on the first trip.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Larry
    What are you using the couplers for? I only ask because by the time I'd made a 3rd trip for more pipe/fittings I eventually returned all the couplers bought on the first trip.
    Maybe he has some REALLY EXTRY long runs? I, too, bought 1 or 2 couplers and ended up not using them but since mine was mail order, I decided to get a little bit of everything. Also, the S&D pipe I bought came with a "coupler" built right into the 10' pipe. Sometimes that was nice, sometimes it was a waste of 4-5" of pipe. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    ... Also, the S&D pipe I came with a "coupler" built right into the 10' pipe. ...
    Mine too and none of the bell ends on mine got used either. Cant recall now why I thought I needed them. Maybe Larry will jog my memory.
    Use the fence Luke