Thread: Q for those w/ "left-handed" benches.

Q for those w/ "left-handed" benches.

My basic question is, "Would you do it again?"

I'm a leftie, and I see distinct advantages to having the front vise on the right side and the tail vise on the left end, esp. if I get more Neander as I progress in the craft. But every time I envision a bench, my mind automatically goes to what I know - the left-front / right-end combo. And I think part of it is that the way my shop is laid out - there's a support post just off the left end of my bench area, which might interfere with tail vise operations sometimes - maybe. But then again, the tool cabinet on the right end is definitely in the way frequently.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    My basic question is, "Would you do it again?"

I'm a leftie, and I see distinct advantages to having the front vise on the right side and the tail vise on the left end, esp. if I get more Neander as I progress in the craft. But every time I envision a bench, my mind automatically goes to what I know - the left-front / right-end combo. And I think part of it is that the way my shop is laid out - there's a support post just off the left end of my bench area, which might interfere with tail vise operations sometimes - maybe. But then again, the tool cabinet on the right end is definitely in the way frequently.

Left and right is relative to how you are viewing your workbench. Unless your bench is against a wall, move your face vice to the opposite side of your bench and it becomes a "lefty bench". Or better still just add another face vice to the other side of your bench and is becomes ambidextrous. ;-)

Cheers

Brian

I built my bench as a left handed design, and yes I would absolutely do it again. My bench has a face vise on the right (as you face the bench) and a tail vise on the left end. This means that while using the tail vice you are exerting force, planing into the heavy bench rather than into the vice hardware.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hallamje...25516633567122

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hallam View Post
    I built my bench as a left handed design, and yes I would absolutely do it again. My bench has a face vise on the right (as you face the bench) and a tail vise on the left end. This means that while using the tail vice you are exerting force, planing into the heavy bench rather than into the vice hardware.

I noticed that you have levelers attached to the sled feet. Does that work pretty well? Does the bench ever move when you don't want it to?
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Rob Will Guest
    I'm a lefty and my bench will have a front vise on both ends.
    I can see those two vises working together to hold a long board.

Rob

I am left handed and the first bench I built was right handed because when I thought "bench" that is what I saw in my mind. It was usable left handed but not really convenient. I have since built a left handed bench and like it much better. I pretty much do everything left handed so it made a big difference to me.

I'm a lefty that grew up in a righthanded world. Never gave any thought to a lefthanded workbench, but will give it a look - Man I love this place!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hallam View Post

Most folks use bench dogs. Is the cat a lefty thing too?
    Use the fence Luke

Charles

Another lefty here. For a long time I never had a "proper' work bench and any time I took a course I always had to use a bench built for right handers. Always wanted a bench that was made for a lefty but never took the time to build one for myself. I bit the bullet a bunch of months ago and ordered one.
    Took delivery a little over a month ago and I love it having everything reversed. It feel much more comfortable working on it.
    If you are going to make one make sure you figure out what is a comfortable height for you. (I like 37").

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Most folks use bench dogs. Is the cat a lefty thing too?
    I'm a lefty, and I like cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz View Post
    I'm a lefty, and I like cats!
    Righty & I have 2 myself, but they better stay the heck off my bench once I get it finished. Not too keen on getting cat hair on my work.
    Use the fence Luke

Hi Charles,

The levelers work great. I put a piece of high friction tape on the bottom of them to help prevent any movement, but truth be told the bench is heavy and all that weight on four small points makes for plenty of friction force.

My main reason for using the levelers is because the sloped floor in my shop (towards a central drain) makes everything wobble without them.

The cat ("Smokey") is truly more of a hindrance than a helper, but I appreciate the company nonetheless