Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entertainement Armoire ..too much for a novice??

Entertainement Armoire ..too much for a novice??

Hi All
    New to the site. Quickly saw the invaluable knowledge base and made my donation.

I unfortuanely don't get to spend much time at WW with job and little ones. I want to make an entertainment armoire and was thinking of trying this one........... http://www.popularwoodworking.com/pr.../?planid=11100. But wanted some advice.

I do not have a planer or joiner so was toying with the idea of making it with dimensional poplar from a box store. Priced it out and can do it relatively cheap. From reading here and elsewhere, one concern would be finishing it, and the variations in the green poplar. I definatley want a dark finish so it won't be too bad. I was thinking of staining it a dark walnut....thoughts? How would you finish it?

Can a somewhat novice do this project? Would you use plywood for the sides instead of solid wood?

Any other suggestions, advice, and question would be appreciated.

Welcome to SMC!

The particular project you cite is pretty straight-forward. If you take your time, you should be able to build it successfully even as a relatively new woodworker. But be sure you have the space to work on it...it's physically large.

Keep in mind that the poplar from the box store is often not flat or straight...you'll be better served by purchasing surfaced poplar from a lumber supplier.

The green heartwood in poplar will turn brown with exposure to UV and normal oxidation. You can successfully color poplar using a water soluble dye...do not use pigment stain...followed by a sealer of de-waxed shellac. In this way, poplar can easily mimic a variety of other hardwoods. You do want to avoid poplar stock with mineral staining when you select your material, however. That is not easily covered up. Fine for secondary wood, but not for the "show" pieces...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the reply Jim. Seen your picture alot scanning the forums.
    So you would recommend buying s3s from a lumber store? Is that what you mean.
    Also, not sure what "You do want to avoid poplar stock with mineral staining when you select your material, however" means.

Thanks.

Welcome to SMC, Matt!!

Like Jim said, it is a big piece, so be sure you have room for it.
    Sure, you can use plywood for the sides - Birch plywood looks similar to maple plywood, but costs less. You'd want to do some test staining on scrap, though. I honestly don't know how close it would look to poplar when stained.

I've had some success with plywood from a big box store, but others loathe the quality there and strongly recommend you try getting plywood from a lumber supplier for better quality.

All that aside... I would also suggest taking a step back and looking at the big picture. Are you SURE you want to build this project? I ask this, because in my opinion, with todays flat screen TVs that are everywhere, I no longer see any point to these huge entertainment armoires that everyone used to build.

What are you going to do with 20" of depth, when your TV is only 5" deep ? Most armoires were designed for these big 32" tv's with huge deep tubes in them. At the very least, I would design an armoire to be only deep enough for the components. But really, I'd more likely build a low cabinet for the DVD/VCR components and just put the flat screen on top of it, or put the TV in a shallower wall-mounted cabinet.

...art
    "It's Not About You."

Blog Entries

...not much info to go on

Hello Matt, ...and welcome to the Creek!
    Hats off to our newest contributor! Good to have you on the team.

I am afraid I have two answers for you:
    The enthusiastic ww in me wants to tell you to just go for it, and solve
    any problems (which we will call challenges) along the way.
    After all, that is the only sure way I know how to not be a newby anymore.
    All lessons in life cost... safety first please!

A more practical approach would be to build smaller projects first, which
    offer many lessons. Going through the building process will point out
    where you need to spend time, money and effort to make your shopspace
    and skillset more functional.
    You do not mention what tools are available to you.
    A jointer and planer work together to dress solid stock, without them you
    will have to be plenty creative.
    Sheetgoods are a good choice for a carcase. Flat, stable and not subject
    to seasonal wood movement, which can be a handful for a newby.

There are unlimited ways to build boxes, even an armoire. For a rookie,
    I could see using light colour plywood core hardwood veenered from a bigbox store.
    Snug dado joints for top and bottom cut with a homemade router guide,
    which would be useful for other things. Probably at least one full width
    shelf dadoed between the sides as well, to firm up the box.
    Maybe 1/4" sheetgood back, dadoed in with either tablesaw or homemade
    router table, to lock out sway.
    Facings of solid wood, nailed and filled, or screwed and plugged, or even biscuited.
    Raised panel doors would be a real trick. Maybe see what you can buy,
    and dimension your cabinet to fit them? Or build simple 5pc 1/4" flat planel
    doors with stub tenons on the t-saw.
    There is no end to the options, just a matter of how you are set up. (?)
    Good luck,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Thanks Art. I feel at home already!!!!!!!

You make good points and I will need to find a local lumber supplier.

I do have a CRT 35" I wanted the Armoire for. Also, the room it is in has 18ft ceilings so the size of the piece will actually help the room.

ANother unspoken reason for wanting to makie it is that , my wife, does not like many of the plans I beleive I can pull off. Finallly, I found one she approves of. But we'll see what she thinks of the finished piece!!!!LOL.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a delta 650 TS with dado blades, Plunge router, am in process of adding a router wing to my TS, mitre saw. I will have a biscuit joiner soon.

I have made several smaller projects such as large toy boxes, book cases and also built a window seat/bookcase for my kids room. All came out okay, but I fully understand what you mean by the learning process. CErtainly were many changes and mistakes no amount of pre-thought coud have avoided. Expereince is king.

Thanks for your feedback.

One of my early projects was a TV armiore with cabinets on either side for electronics and storage. It was a major job but it turned out great and has held up very well over the past 7 years. Unfortunately it will probably reach the end of its life in our living room later this year as we plan to get a 42" widescreen that won't fit. When we do I plan to build one of the newer console-type entertainment centers.

When I built it and flat, widescreen TV's were 5 figures, I said someday maybe it could become a clothes armiore for our bedroom without the side cabinets, but then we moved and we don't really need the storage and don't have the wall space in our bedroom anyway. It will probably end up in the basement.

Large cabinets are actually fairly straight forward to build because they are mostly just big plywood boxes.

Thumbs up

Hi Matt - You can do it! You've got enough experience, and it sounds like you've got the desire and the brain to figure out how to do it with what you've got. Plywood carcass with a hardwood face frame isn't overly difficult...just big! I surprised myself by doing a similar project my 2nd "rookie" season. I actually found the armiore easier to do than my wife's jewelry box later the same year. Think it through, double check your dimensions, and don't fret mistakes...it's just wood, and it does grow on trees!

The choice of woods is ultimately yours, but I doubt I'd choose poplar unless you plan to paint it....and if you plan to paint it, well.....

Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

http://www.woodworkinghistory.com/

this is the william and mary armoire that i constructed out of old growth douglas fir. when i made it about 30 years ago, i had a unisaw and a 6" jointer and (just for the project, a 6" portable makita power planer), so -- with the last two tools, i had a little advantage

however, i also had to make do, just as your acknowledging, and for me, that attitude is the most important component.

the william and mary style calls for raised panels. i cut the raised panels with my unisaw, and suggest that maybe this is a direction for you to consider.

i don't have 18' ceilings, only 8', and thus had to scale down the william and mary style. for your 18' ceilings, scaling down isn't a problem.

the molding at the top, and between the top and bottom i bought at the lumber yard, i think, but could have made it, too, because the top molding consists of a half round and a cove molding combined, and the middle molding simply a half round

i hope that this helps

Matt,

Just remember when you look at a big project like this that it is only a series of (relatively) easy steps. Just take it one step at a time and you can do just about anything. However, it may be more economical and satisfying to start with a few smaller projects to gain confidence and skills before devoting to such a large scale project.

Where are you located? I bet you can find someone in your area that might be willing to help you dimension some rough lumber for your project for a beer or two. For the same price you can get S4S popular at a big box store you could build the same piece out of cherry or maple (not that there is anything wrong with poplar if that is your preference). Not only will you same money but you will be learning a few things as well.

You may also look at community and recreation centers in your area. Some offer classes and open shop time where you can meet other people, learn a few things, and have access the equipment that is not available to you now.

To give you a little encouragement, I present this...

This is my first piece of "furniture" and was made of solid cherry for the case and veneered bees wing Makore doors. It took a long time for me as I made a bunch of mistakes along the way, mostly because I did not plan enough up front, didn't take my time with measurements, thought I could do more than I really knew how and so on.

I could have easily used pywood for the slabs but I have a jointer and planner and wanted something out of solid wood. If I can do this, you can too. Take your time, plan everything out and go over the details again and again. My wife did the finish work as I don't have the patience for it and I will eventually take a finished shot. This is by far my proudest moment in wood working and taught me a lot about being able to accomplish more than you think you can. Jump in, the worst that can happen is that you'll learn some stuff along the way.

glen huey makes some GORGEOUS reproduction furniture but i'm not sure that i would try running the bottom of that MASSIVE three paneled door over a jointer the way he does!

Quote Originally Posted by matt pickston View Post
    Also, not sure what "You do want to avoid poplar stock with mineral staining when you select your material, however" means.
    Poplar occasionally has some dark purple staining that is from mineral content in the soil. Avoid boards with that unless it's a paint-only project.

And yes, buy your material from a real lumber supplier rather than the 'borg. Better quality; lower cost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have one that's doing a great job of hiding a 36" diag. Sony XBR CRT. The television is very heavy so I installed six inch casters under the cabinets skirt. But just yesterday my wife seems to have plans for eliminating the CRT and Armoire in favor of an articulating wall mounted flat screen setup.

You might want to look into an elevating flat screen cabinet were the screen pops up and still have storage for the electronics.

Vic