Thread: Festool domino vs. Leigh M&T Jig

Festool domino vs. Leigh M&T Jig

I just wanted to get some opinions. If you had a choice which would you choose. They seem to be about the same price.

Also, can a loose tenon be as strong as a regular M&T?

They're both fine tools, I have both of them. I almost exclusively use the Domino these days, but I won't part with the Leigh M&T jig either. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Domino because it's so darn fast and easy. If you're a purist then maybe loose tenons may not cut it for you.

Like Bob, I have both and won't part with either. The Domino is much faster than the FMT but the FMT gives a lot of size options that don't exist with the Domino. The best choice is really what satisfies your needs the best.

I believe a loose tenon is as strong as an integral tenon if it is properly fitted. If I had any complaint about the Domino, it is the tenons fit too tight. You need a pair of pliers to pull them out (and with great effort)even with no glue. This makes dry fitup a real PITA.
    Steve

Steve, you mentioned that the domino’s tendons fit really tight, do they swell up like in say a biscuit would with moisture from the air or is it just a tight tolerance? Or both?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Steve, you mentioned that the domino’s tendons fit really tight, do they swell up like in say a biscuit would with moisture from the air or is it just a tight tolerance? Or both?
    I believe it is just tight tolerance. Right out of the bag, you can slip them part way in but you really need to hammer them home (or use clamps). This leads me to believe that it is not moisture from the air. Biscuits are compressed beech and are designed to swell with moisture in the glue. Dominos are also beech but I don't believe they are compressed beyond what is necessary to make indentations for glue. I may resort to making my own loose tenons just for dry fits.

I own a Domino, but will own an FMT someday.

The Domino is faster, the FMT gives you a few more size options.

I think they are two completely different tools. Yes, they can duplicate several procedures, but each can do many individual things the other one can't. I purchased my domino to "augment" my joinery options, not to replace any other tool, jig or method.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture