Thread: your table saw motor ???

your table saw motor ???

I am getting ready to order a new motor for a Unisaw that I am reconditioning, plus I thought it would be interesting. So I am doing a survey of what is the manufacture, what HP, and what do you think of your motor in your table saw. Thanks for the help.

I never think about my tablesaw motor except for once a year I blow out the fan with compressed air and do a visual inspection.

The motor is a 3 HP Baldor high efficiency motor on a General 650........Rod.

My late 70's Unisaw has the Baldor motor. Very pleased with it!
    Since I bought the saw used, I really don't know how many hours are on it other than the arbor had been rebuilt at least once before I did it again. From what I can tell by looking at the motor, it's never been apart, none of the fasteners look like they have ever had a wrench on them.

Ed

I just put a 3hp Baldor in my 1970 Uni restore. I got a pretty good price. I also considered a Marathon from Woodworker's Supply and a Leeson from several other sources. Both say they are made in the USA if that is a concern for you. The 3hp is pleanty of power for me and I haven't had any issues with the Baldor.

You will find lots of responses for Baldor and it is always a good choice.

If I was purchasing new it would be on my very short list. I have two or three things with Baldor motors and they all seem to be really good. My experience isn't statitically valid because even my cheap motors have been fine.

Go as big as you can. Once you have a 30amp 220 circuit you should be good up to 5HP.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I suggest you check out WEG brand motors. They have an 18 month warranty as opposed to Baldor's one year. WEG motors are every bit as good, and they cost less. As far as HP, I would go with a 3hp. I am not sure why you would need 5hp on a table saw. I am sure there are some people out there that need that much power, but for most people, 3hp is plenty.

I guess I have to ask why are you replacing the motor? Is it because it doesn't work, or is it missing?
    If it's something like bad bearings, brushes, or the windings are bad you can have the motor rebuilt a lot cheaper than buying a new 3hp motor.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

I believe my Unisaw has a Marathon Motor and I have never had one issue with it.

I bought the saw with out a motor and motor cover because I new I was upgrade the saw anyway. I tore the saw down cleaned and primed it. I am putting it back together primed to make sure all is correct since it is also going in a different cabinet. I am looking at a couple of motor options and wanted to see what other people like and dislike.

Unisaw motor

I have a 3hp, 3 phase and need to switch to 230 v. Am looking for sources for a motor, sell my old one, or trade. Or has anyone had experience with static phase converters.

Any help would be appreciated.