Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with Table saw decision....

Struggling with Table saw decision....

Recently, I received a very attractive offer to sell my Delta Hybrid table saw. I sold it. As a result, I am in the market for a cabinet saw that will suit my need for a long, long time. My budget for a new saw is right around $2K. I have looked diligently at the used market somewhat determined that I would rather buy a saw that is "ready-to-go" as opposed to buying a used saw and working on it to bring it back to tip top shape. I understand that with a little TLC, an older Unisaw can be bought for a great price. Quite frankly, I would rather be working with wood than a machine needing parts and refurbishing.

I have determined two saws that sell for right around $1,900.
    Delta Unisaw X5 - 3HP, Single phase
    Jet Deluxe Xacta - 5HP, Single Phase
    (The 3HP model sells for $1,700)

The Powermatic 66, General, and Saw Stop are out of my budget range.

Two main concerns:

Motor performance - I have been told that the Delta motor exceeds the quality and overall size of the Taiwanese versions from Jet. (The Delta motor is manufactured in Brazil.) This is why I am leaning towards a 5Hp Jet for an extra $200 to make up the difference in performance.

Quality - There is no real "un-biased" reviews on the Jet yet. It has only been on the market for a few short months. It includes a very similar riving knife, dust shroud and arbor lock similar to the Powermatic. I love the safety features that are included with this saw, particularly the riving knife. The Guard is hands down a better system than what is included with the Delta. My Hybrid's guard was the same as what is included on the Unisaw and I hated the thing. I never used it. The Jet is finished nicer with larger chrome plate hand wheels, larger table top, and functional drawer (actually pretty handy to have). I have heard that Jet table saws are continuing to grow in quality, but still not quite equal the "longevity" as the Delta or other “high-end” table saws. The Delta has been made the same way for the last 60 years (a great number of them still as accurate as they were new). If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Do you feel that these power and quality issues are true? Can I expect to get the same life from a Jet as I would with a Delta?

Also, am I over thinking this? I sure think that I am, particularly because of the big investment. I DO NOT want to be disappointed once I purchase this saw and I am looking for a virtual lifetime with this important tool.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks for reading,

Brian

Hi Brian - The Uni used to be made just about entirely in the US, but AFAIK many parts come from overseas now. The motor comes from Brazil, and I understand much of the cast iron comes from China. This is not necessarily inferior to the Jet or any other, but it does make me wonder how similar it is to a "Yester" Uni.

That said, I'd be plenty happy with either. At this level, there's really no wrong answer, so get the one that makes you happiest.

Have you looked at the Steel City line, Grizzly, or Shop Fox?
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-15-2008 at 8:00 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I think your on the right track Brian, all good saws that I know of. I don't know if the new Deltas are just as good as the old ones. JET I think makes a pretty good saw too. I'd take a good look at the Steel City also. If Delta is haveing quality issues since the B&D buyout, Steel City may be doing a better job, they are ex Delta employees that own the company and are trying to get a name. I haven't heard anything bad about them. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I'll also throw in the suggestion for Steel City with all the good press their machines are getting in the price range you mention.

Also, has anyone REALLY gone wrong buying a G1023? Seems like a very solid contender as well. Very high quality machine. And we KNOW that we can't beat the personal customer service that we get here, from Mr. Balolia himself no less.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Was shopping

HI,

I was also shopping in Dec. I picked up the last of the closeout deals on the PM 66 on Amazon. I was also very frustrated with the availability and pricing of used products. In that search, I narrowed my choices down to the PM 2000 and a Grizzley with 50" fence system.

I could find the PM for under $2,200 delivered and the Grizz for under $1,300 delivered.

There's a great write up on the comparison of the Griz to the PM 66 by someone who has both at: http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/g1023s.htm.

So, with after Christmas closeouts, etc. that particular PM may fall into your budget.

Good luck.
    Daryl

Ashtabula, Ohio in the Snowbelt

Brian, A couple years ago, one of the big magazines did a side by side comparison of all the major TS manufacturers ( except for Sawstop because they weren't in business yet) and General came out on top. Obviously no company gets everything right, but General got more than the rest. If I would have seen the review, I would have bought the General instead of the Unisaw.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I agree Michael, I do own a General 650 and find it to be the best out of the cabinet saws. (Sawstop was not available when I purchased the General.

Brian, the General is more money, and you stated it is out of your price range. There is a special promotion on now for 650 or the right tilt version in the US.

The General is made in North America, something the others cannot claim.

That said, I'd go for the Jet out of the machines you short listed if the General is outside of your budget........Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-15-2008 at 8:08 AM.

Lots of good stuff out there today

Jet equipment years ago was a lesser clone of the old Rockwell (pre-Delta) equipment. Today, Jet has established themselves as a leader and now offer their own designs on many new tools. Same said for Grizzly.

It is interesting how the importers have increased the quality and designs of their equipment, and Delta and Powermatic have stalled or reversed as they shift to Asian based manufacturing. Delta's Unisaw was considered 'high end' for the hobbyist at one time, with the Powermatic 66 being the apex.

I would still seriously look at the Unisaw today but I would also look for modern features...mainly a riving knife vs a splitter, and decent above and below dust collection capability.

Long story short, I think you won't go wrong with either General, Steel City, Grizzly, Jet or Delta. The woodworking market is saturated with offerings, and the competition is great. And, understanding the power of internet research, any crummy equipment offering would simply not survive very long unless it is offered suspiciously dirt cheap.

Happy shopping!

-Jeff

There is a review on the 3hp version of the Jet Deluxe saw. http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jxactasawrvu.html

I just ordered that saw myself from Amazon. 1699 with free shipping, plus Jet has a $100 rebate on that saw that is not showing up on Amazon. I think it will also ship with two 31in parallel clamps.

I was set on the PM2000 for the longest time until I saw this Jet which is quite similiar and $600 cheaper. I wanted one of these two saws because of the riving knife. I already was victim on a kickback accident, no fingers lost but I had a nice bruise on my stomach for awhile. Yes, it was completely my fault and I was not using a guard. But with my saw, taking the guard on and off is a PITA. The newer saws have quick release guards now.

The new Grizzly G0652 looks tempting, but I could not find any reviews or much of anything for this saw due to its recent introduction.

I have a 1949 Unisaw but today

I have an older unisaw . If I were buying a tablesaw today and wanted something new it would be a Grizzly. They have the overseas manufacturing down to a science and youl get more saw for your buck with them IMHO. Very very few complaints with them over the years from any cabinet saw buyers. When you call them someone answers the phone. You wont get better service from the other manufacturers

A Vote for Steel City

I just received my SC 35640 from Woodworkers Supply last Fri and am pleased with it. 3hp, 50" fence, LT and Ti top. I particularly like the fence; it is extremely easy to move. The only problem I've had is matching the actual fence distance from the blade to the tape readout, but think that can be solved by a phone call and relocating the tape on the rail. It is apparently well built as the shipper had trashed the packaging by the time I got it, and there was no damage to the saw. Got lucky on the price as I was given the Xmas special seven days after Xmas...$1313 shipped. The 35640 is now $1950 and backordered. They have the RT model with free shipping direct from manufacturer for $1200.

The new Grizz with the riving knife looks mighty nice

Bob

How about the Grizzly 0652? 5 Hp, 52" fence, outfeed table, digital tilt gauge, riving knife delivered for $1832 (3 Hp is same price). If I were shopping in your price range, I think I would choose the Jet or the Grizzly over the unisaw.

I think both the Brazilian and Taiwanese motors will be running longer then you will be...
    Last edited by Tim Marks; 01-15-2008 at 10:11 AM.

My brother in-law just got the G0651 10" Heavy-Duty Cabinet Table Saw With Riving Knife and I was very impressed. If I was in the market, I would give this one a long hard look!
    "In a World of Compromise, some Don't!"

Though a 3Hp suits most woodworking shops, do you guys feel that a 5hp makes sence for an additional $200 bucks??

IS there a real significant increase between the two?? Power, motor size, etc... Does anyone have specific information around this??