Thread: Carving advice needed

Carving advice needed

OK, I guess all you carvers out there didn't see this in an earlier thread. I made a new handle for a D-12 panel saw. The original handles were chip carved with a wheat pattern, I'd like to try this myself, and my efforts so far have produced OK results, but I'm hoping that someone out there will have some good advice to impart.

Here's the original handle

Here's the new handle

And finally here's my best effort to date. I'm just using a Flexcut mini Chip Knife.

Are there other knives/tools that I should be using rather than the Chip Knife?

Thanks.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Don't know about "should," but it probably would go a bit faster with a small V chisel.

Pam

I would use something like these scorps or a small round, cranked or curved gauge for the leaves and this for the stems (not sure about the size numbers, but this general shape). The straight blade can be used for the stems, but I think you have more control with a gouge.

Hey Don, looking at you practice piece, your on the right track. Your cuts are too deep and your angle of approach is too steep. Take your time and do some free hand cuts. It takes practice and a sharp knife. You don't have to make the entire cut in one pass. Try to follow grain where you can keep that knife sharp cause as soon as it dulls it will cut you. Have fun. Tape on your thumb helps too.
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

I agree that you are on the right track with your chip carving knife. A V-tool might look like a good solution, but you will, in most situations, be cutting against the grain on one side of the tool and with it on the other. Also, you will not get a clean bottom line like the original; it will be slightly rounded. Try it if you have one, but I wouldn't buy one for this project.

It takes lots of practice to get it right, especially the long curving cuts of the stems. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I'ld use a v-tool (or knife held at an angle) for the veins and a #11-3mm or #11-2mm for the petals.