Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The air challenge/saga continues: Respirators?

The air challenge/saga continues: Respirators?

Although uncomfortable and annoying (not just flimzy dust masks--I mean real deal respiratiors), respirators seem to be a clear advantage during the machining process; no?! As I got caught up in the "data" of the Dylos debate, it seems to me that if we had a way to protect ourselves during peak "cutting" times that would deter health issues, while "air-scrubbers" worked on the nonpeak times (and dust collection being a no-brainer). Any suggestions on resipirators? Forced or non-forced? 3M or other brands? Is the comfort worth the risk of health?

Tim Allaire

I've got the Quicklatch Pro made by AO Safety. It's $30 on Amazon, comes with P100 cartridges, and I've worn it for up to 3 hours without problems. It's very comfortable and very adjustable.

Yep, you should have a respirator around the shop. I have a 3M 1/2 mask (7000 model IIRC) that is comfortable, seals my face, and has a fair number of options for filtration (P100 filters, organic vapor, etc). I use mine when applying pesticides, finishing (lacquer, shellac especially), and anytime that I'm creating dust that can't be collected properly (using a router handheld). I also have an older 3M full face shield with nusance dust filtration that I use while turning. I'll probably ugrade that to a Trend Airshield sometime

Frankly, I only use my respirator when spraying shellac and water borne finishes. I'll sometimes use a Dust-B-Gone mask when machining something "in my face" and I also have a Trend Airshield for use at the lathe. But I'll certainly agree with Steven that you should have something to take care of these needs...and it's likely that there isn't just "one" solution for every need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim, I share your thoughts.... this Dyson thread really helped us understand when the serious dust occurs, and how fast it settles. So at a bear min. we should wear a respirator while making dust and shortly thereafter. Then, as you mention, we let the scrubbers, open doors, exhaust fans, or whatever clear the rest out, or allow the heavy stuff to settle. Overall, its a strategy I can live with - and based on what we learned, it seems sensible.

Although, I would like to know how people wear safety glasses with these respirators? The 7500 respirator comes up so high on the nose, no place for the safety glasses to sit on my upper nose?

Will, I don't have any problem wearing my safety glasses with the 3M 1/2 respirator. Just spend some time and select one that fits. As for the full face, powered respirators like the Trend, they're just a nice to have item, not really necessary. Having a decent respirator like an AOSafety or 3M is a necessity. They aren't that expensive and are useful for things other than making dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Although, I would like to know how people wear safety glasses with these respirators? The 7500 respirator comes up so high on the nose, no place for the safety glasses to sit on my upper nose?
    Will,
    I wear both prescription glasses and the wide over the glasses type safety glasses (I'm in the process of getting real prescription safety glasses). I have the older 3M 6000 series respirator that uses the same P100 & organic vapor filters that the 7500 respirator uses. I'm not familiar with the fit of the 7500 but I've never noticed the 6000 giving me any issues with 2 sets of glasses.

-Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    When I wear my AO Safety respirator when spraying, I cannot wear my normal "cheater" safety glasses due to the nose piece, but another pair of plain clear ones I keep in the shop for guests will work with it. If I were forced to choose...the glasses would get first billing every time...
    --

Tim - I worked for years in a job where I had to wear a respirator many long hours at a time. You get used to it. I used the 3M (forget the model number - probably the same everyone else uses).

Yeah I sure do think the comfort (or lack of) is worth while compared to health risks. That said I was in a place with fumes and particles floating around far worse than wood. But the principle is still the same.

A lot of people leave respirators laying around or hanging on walls. That is wrong, they need to be stored in an airtight container when not in use. Usually they come in bags that reseal for this reason. Keep them clean and change the filters once in a while. ANd understand there are some fumes that respirators will not protect you from - I don't think this applies much in a wood shop - but you should read the specs anyway. Only then would forced air make sense IMO.

> I cannot wear my normal "cheater" safety glasses due to the nose piece,

ahhhh, I use these Cheater safety glasses most often, maybe that is my problem. I need to experiment with a few different kinds of non-cheaters, so they can ride the big hump on the 3m 7503 nose bridge, and still be somewhat concentric with my eyes. Thanks guys.

Will, the "cheap" cheaters I have will actually work with the mask, but I hate them with a passion...the "cheater" part is too small and doesn't cover the whole bottom of the lens. The ones I normally use are wire-frame and have those little "things" (adjustable pads) that sit on your nose. Those are not compatible with my respirator. Fortunately, for spraying finishes, I don't need to read measurements even once, let alone twice! The basic safety glasses I use with the respirator came with one or more of my Accuset pneumatic guns, but I've seen the same ones with a variety of logos on them.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    When I wear my AO Safety respirator when spraying, I cannot wear my normal "cheater" safety glasses due to the nose piece, but another pair of plain clear ones I keep in the shop for guests will work with it. If I were forced to choose...the glasses would get first billing every time...
    I'm not sure what "cheater" safety glasses are, but I can wear these glasses with my AO Safety respirator.

Blog Entries
    I wear an AO Safety single cartridge. Sorry I don't recall the number just now but Mark Singer put me onto it. There only about $14, are OK with glasses and muffs. I use it when routing MDF or any other particularly nasty chore.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

AO Safety "pig snout" mask. They never fog my prescription glasses or the safety glasses I wear over them.

I too use the 3M respirator when needed. Unfortunately, I don't always think about putting it on unless I can smell something, so I end up using it primarily for fumes and fine aerosols caused by spraying and finishing or when I am putting out A LOT of dust. That being said, I probably should use it more than I do.

3M used to offer several mask sizes when I used to buy them from a paint supply store but I don't recall seeing the sizing option in the BORG. It may be there but I don't know, 3M might not even offer the option anymore. I liked the fit of the small mask which works well with any glasses I have worn (both prescription and safety). The rubber seems a little thinner and more flexible giving me a more comfortable fit and feels a little less bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mutus View Post
    A lot of people leave respirators laying around or hanging on walls. That is wrong, they need to be stored in an airtight container when not in use. Usually they come in bags that reseal for this reason.
    As for storage, Matt is right in that the ability for the filter to remove or reduce fumes is related to how long it is exposed to air (or fumes). If you just leave the respirator out it will loose the ability to reduce fumes but it should still work just fine for dust (anyone, please correct me if I am wrong here). I usually use my new respirators for painting and finishing and I store them in an airtight bag or container. When I am no longer confident they are still good I retire them to the dusty work. If I replace the cartridge I treat it as new again.

As for cheap dust masks, I don't even bother. IMO they don't create a good enough seal to be effective. If it is worth putting on a dust mask it should be worth putting on a respirator.