Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The air challenge/saga continues: Respirators?

You gotta just get used to wearing one, whether its a cheap disposable or a nice one - it'll really save you in the long run. I'm borderline multiple chemical sensitivity from my usmc experience(oil fires in the gulf) and blowing off protection in a production millwork environment. I can tell you this, once its gone, its gone, as far as your tolerance goes. JMHO, and I don't believe the dust settles any faster than 8 hours even with a scrubber and fans - you've got to assume its there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    I'm not sure what "cheater" safety glasses are, but I can wear these glasses with my AO Safety respirator.
    They have a "bifocal" type setup as I need reading lenses for close work. I have several different types. Most of the off-the-shelf versions have a close work area that is too small for my preferences. The one pair I have that I do like will not work with the respirator due to the nose pads...they are not one-piece specs like those in your link. The ones I use with the respirator are single vision and "similar" to those in your link.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

> You gotta just get used to wearing one, whether its a cheap disposable or a nice one - it'll really save you in the long run. I'm borderline multiple chemical sensitivity from my usmc experience(oil fires in the gulf) and blowing off protection in a production millwork environment.

Todd, what were you exposed to in the production millwork environment?

> I can tell you this, once its gone, its gone, as far as your tolerance goes.

gosh, do i agree with this.... I do suffer from multiple chemical sensitivities, and am ultra careful with everything I handle. Somehow the wood dust issue evaded me for some time, hence the value of these forums. Modern science has not even scratched the surface on the effects environmental pollutants have on our neurological system. A case in point is many of the "first responders" at Ground Zero, (911) now suffering terribly from multiple chemical sensitivities. Some are completely disabled by their condition, while others suffer daily, unfortunately, some have died. When you are young and healthy, one can't fathom life with all these daily problems brought on by MCS. Thank you Todd for your service to our country.

FYI

The source for smoke testing tubes for respirators is:

RAE
    Irritant smoke
    888 723-8823
    3775 N. First st.
    San Jose, CA 95134-1708
    Tel: 408 952-8200
    Fax 408 952-8480

We use them for respirators and shop air flow.

I use the 3M 7500 and it is very comfortable and not very expensive. I bought the mask for $16 online and the cartridages were $4.25 for the better ones.

Here’s a system I’ve used once when spray painting indoors without being able to properly vent the area. (garage-sale find)
    Hobbyair 1:
    https://secure.foxvalley.net/axispro...uctNumber=HB01

I used the Air Supplied Painting Hood to keep the paint off my head, face, and glasses. It also comes with a half facemask that will be useful for exposure to airborne particulates that won’t adhere.

Air Supplied Pros & Cons

Cons:

· The Air Supply intake must be located in an uncontaminated area. This requires a hose running from a blower unit and the air supply should be heated air in the winter.

· The hose is cumbersome if you’re not stationary and could easily (and will) become entangled with anything you’re moving around.

· Would definitely not use around machinery with moving parts that could come in contact with the hose.

· The blower is noisy

· Expensive—but far less than a pair of lungs if you’re exposed to contaminates frequently

Pros:

· Air as fresh as you can supply

· Moving air supply eliminates eyeglass fogging and moisture dripping from mask onto fresh paint or work piece

· No dust or paint boogers

· If you’re wearing the hood, the airflow keeps your head cool

They say, “What happens in Vegas; stays in Vegas.” Unfortunately, a lot of the harmful stuff you breathe stays in your lungs. The most harmful particulates are the ones too small to see. They infiltrate the deepest.
    Last edited by Harry Hagan; 01-17-2008 at 1:35 PM. Reason: Message composed in MS Word, formatting didn't carry over.