Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PM66 vs General 650

PM66 vs General 650

I'm in the market for a new table saw. Ideally, I'd like a left tilt saw, as it's what I'm used to using. I'd strongly prefer a North American made saw and motor. I'm coming from a Craftsman contractors saw, and want something on the opposite end of the spectrum. Smooth, quiet, and accurate. Thus, I've tentatively narrowed my search to the PM66 and the General 650.

I did almost purchase a SawStop, but decided against it at the last moment due to a variety of reasons. I would prefer a saw with a riving knife, but there are none that I'm aware of that meet my above criteria.

Does anyone have direct experience with both the PM66 and the 350/650-T50? Unfortunately, I do not have a dealer close that has both available to look at.

I'm sure either saw would be adequate for my needs, but I'd like to know if there are any reasons that I should go with one over the other. The prices seem to be very close these days. I'm interested in things such as slop/lash in the adjustment wheels, ease of adjustment, miter slot slop, overall sturdiness, etc.

I've heard Powermatic may have better parts availability than General, especially since i'm in Florida. However, that could be changing, considering Powermatic is now WMH and who knows how much longer they'll even be building the PM66.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome to SMC!

The PM66 is a venerable stand-out and the General machines are also well-thought of. I don't think you could go wrong with either machine. But you might want to consider one of the newer models on the market that support a riving knife such as the PM2000. (General may also have a candidate...I don't know) That may compromise your desire to buy something "made in NA", but considering you are buying a machine that you likely intend to use for a very long time, it would a nice idea to take advantage of new safety features, etc. The PM2K also has built-in mobility.

There are more PM dealers that for General, but I suspect that parts availability may be similar for both brands, generally speaking. (no pun intended) PM has been part of WMH for quite some time now...it's not a new arrangement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the welcome... I'm usually just a lurker.

I should clarify my concerns with overseas machines.

I question the product life span for many of these new saws. I wonder what parts will be available for a PM2000 10 years from now.

There seems to be much less quality control on foreign made saws (conjecture based upon random forum posts here and elsewhere).

Raw materials quality is questionable. Every Chinese made tool that I've used seems to have substantially lower quality steel than the domestic made version. How do I know the cast iron top will not become warped 5 years from now? How do I know a trunion will not develop a crack due to improper treatment during manufacturing?

I seriously doubt the longevity of the motors. I know what Baldor motors are like and how well they're made.

I have an attraction to heavy, quality products. I love my 1972 Parks planer, and my 1950's Craftsman/King Seely drill press.

This probably won't be the last saw I buy, but I want to buy it like it is going to be.

Just remember that just because the "machine" is manufactured in one place doesn't mean the components that went into it were also sourced locally. That's the reality of the manufacturing world today. I do have respect for what you desire...however, even when the tag says, 'Made in the USA' or 'Made in Canada', you'll need to have some flexibility for what you are really getting. I remember something about a Delta product awhile back that had a 'Made in USA' sticker on the base. The base was made in USA... ...it's common for cast iron to be sourced from Asia these days by nearly everyone simply because that's where it's available.

The major machine manufacturers who contract with factories in Asia and elsewhere generally have their own people in place for things like design engineering and quality control. The Deltas, PMs, Jets, Grizzlys, etc., can't afford to do it any other way as poor products and warranty issues are very costly. It's only when you get into third-tier vendors that things get more generic.

I believe that the General does have almost everything from NA, but can't confirm that...I just don't know.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-15-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"Raw materials quality is questionable. Every Chinese made tool that I've used seems to have substantially lower quality steel than the domestic made version. How do I know the cast iron top will not become warped 5 years from now? How do I know a trunion will not develop a crack due to improper treatment during manufacturing"?.. Zach

How do you know that a NA made saw made with cast iron won't do the same thing?... The process that is used to make cast iron even when quality controlled is no guarantee that it will not stress down the road and crack. If the carbon does not throughly mix evenly in cast iron (and that can happen even under the closest scrutiny), you will have some degress of stress in a batch. So...

The General is an extremely well made saw and parts should be no problem. Redmond and Son Machinery here in Atlanta is a General dealer and have no problems getting parts. Call them and discuss that if you wish. Google for Redmond and Son Machinery to get the number.

The older PM 66's are a bit better made than the PM 2000 IMO, but when I say older which were made in the U.S., you should be aware that the newer batch of 66's weren't. The parts were made over there and assembled in Tennessee on the newer-older. ha.. ha...

Steel City is made over there, but I can assure you the quality is there. And say you did get a PM that the cast iron cracked 3 years down the road.. PM is warranty is 2 years I believe? SC is 5 Years and I am not sure of General. This is something to consider..

Wonderful buying North Amercan.. but IMO that does not automatically mean that something is better. I have been over all of them and I can tell you your immediate needs can be filled with General.. PM.. Steel City.. and older Uni-saw.. etc.

I left the Saw-stop out intentionally, but will say it is an extremely well built saw. But.. I have no intention of paying an extra $2k for the additional safety feature. I don't need a $4K saw period to work as a non professional. If I were a professional, I would purchase the Euro slider as the alternative to a SS as a slider is more versatile with sheet goods and just as safe on shorter solids with your hands coming no where near the blade.

Just my opinion of course...

Sarge..

Zach,

I dont have direct experience with the 66 but I looked at both saws and went with the General 650. Both saws are awesome and I dont think you could go wrong with either choice. I went with the General because I could never find a negative review or a user with a problem. I also wanted a biesemeyer style fence. I have a local dealer that sells both and the saws were side by side for comparison. I dont remember a negative about the 66 and that was my dream saw for years but my gut said get the General so I did. That was two years ago and I'm glad I went with the General.

If I was in the market today. I would wait a couple of months and see if the rumors about a General 350/650 with a riving knife are true. Otherwise I would get the SawStop. The PM2000 is another option but I've read about to many problems.

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 01-15-2008 at 12:06 PM.

One point to keep in mind is that some of these saws that have been the same practically forever...the 66 and Unisaw will soon have to change their designs due to new safety requirements. Their being the same basic machine for 50 plus years has been a large factor in parts availability. I believe that all saws built after 2014 will require a riving knife and all new designs will require one this year. That will mean a redesign of these venerable machines which could cause OEM parts to dry up.
    I would personally look for a best of breed saw with a riving knife. Those will be most likely to retain the same design for a longer period of time thus making parts more available. That may mean waiting if you want an American built machine.

I had no idea General was looking at retrofitting a riving knife to the 350/650. (Just did a little Google research and found more speculation on that).

If that's the case then it's a done deal, as all of my criteria would be met.

That lone may be worth me putting off my purchase for a bit so I can wait and see.

9. When I was in the market for a cabinet saw 2 years ago, I was also deciding between the General 650 and the venerable PM66, leaning towards the 66 since most of my professional woodworking friends had them.

I ended up with the 650 for a number of reasons. I purchased it at a woodworking show which was really the only opportunity I had to check them both out side-by-side. I looked at the PM66 first and asked the PM rep a lot of questions and told him I was also looking at a General. Once he found out I was looking at a General, he basically proceeded to criticize everything about the General--except the saw itself or its features. He went on and on about how it's Canadian and how parts are hard to get and how they don't manufacture things as well as "we do in the States..." blah blah blah.

I went to the General booth and asked about the 650 and told the rep I was looking at the PM66. He said, "that's a great saw...here's where we've done things differently." He proceeded to go through features and focused on differences between the saws. I bought the General on the spot. So sales reps out there take note--there's a difference between knowing your competition and bashing your competition. The former informs your buyer; the latter makes you look like an idiot. The difference was worth a couple of grand that day.

I have other PM equipment--a jointer and a bandsaw--and I'm happy with those and with the customer service I've had on them. In the end it probably won't matter too much which saw you end up with. They're both great saws.

I vote for the NA made machines I never have used a twainese made cabinet saw that wasn't a POS. (Sawstop,grizzly,jet)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    I vote for the NA made machines I never have used a twainese made cabinet saw that wasn't a POS. (Sawstop,grizzly,jet)
    Tell us how you really feel Simon.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I've got a 650 in the basement. Was also thinking of PM 66 vs mine, was leaning towards the 650 already and then the place where I bought it had a sale. You'll be happy with either.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Saw stop- 1 at work -had to replace trunnion, motor, both belts, dust defector and bearings.

jet-1 at cab school- blade drops as your using it (& it's set-up as the dado saw)
    grizzly-1 at work-worst cabinet saw I have ever used it would vibrate so much you couldn't set anything down on it & the switch would shut off while making a cut.
    The 3 Unisaws I've used never had a problem.

14. RE: I'm in the market for a new table saw

I bought a General 650 two years ago and have never regretted it. Built solid, runs smooth and don't forget the castings are done with a special process to eliminate any warping over the years.
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    Saw stop- 1 at work -had to replace trunnion, motor, both belts, dust defector and bearings.

jet-1 at cab school- blade drops as your using it (& it's set-up as the dado saw)
    grizzly-1 at work-worst cabinet saw I have ever used it would vibrate so much you couldn't set anything down on it & the switch would shut off while making a cut.
    The 3 Unisaws I've used never had a problem.
    I once considered an import vs domestic. I climbed into the cabinets at woodworker supply one by one and examined the bolts threads of each. i ran my finger along every gear in each one. i examined for sae gradeings.I examined the cut of the gears.The salesguy thought i was some kind of nut,when i told him I dont care if the top is shiney or if the paint is glossy...i want to see what it will be like in 10 or 15 years.Whats going to rust? Whats going to wear out?I did the same thing recently at Wood Craft. I made the same decision as I did the first time. Everyone really should do that for themself.NOTHING has changed in that respect.The tops have simply gotten shiney-er.The internal machineing is still the same. Some good...many CRAP!
    Some countries I would be comfortable buying from...some NOT.

I did see a titanium coated saw top recently....now that just strikes me as RETARDED!