Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Woodmaster 712

Thumbs up New Woodmaster 712

Last thursday I took delivery of a new Woodmaster 712.
    I ordered the barebones machine, as I will use it for moldings only.
    tn_712 001.jpg

I am replacing my old 912 Belsaw.
    tn_712 002.jpg

I started putting things together last friday morning and had ran 60' of 3 1/4" crown molding by noon.
    tn_712 003.jpgtn_712 004.jpg
    This unit has the 5hp motor, with variable speed.
    I get much better results by being able to slow the feed speed down making larger molding.

All in all I'm happy with the machine. It had a couple of items that I was a little put out by, but got everything together.

The mounting holes for the on/off switch and variable switch boxes were way to low on the machine to satisfy me. So I did some revamping and moved both boxes up, and side by side.
    The height indicator for depth of cut, the slots for the mounting screws were too narrow. How in the world can they produce a part and not know that it doesn't fit. Had a few other things that I had to work around, but did get it up and running.

Woodmaster 712

Steve,

Congrats on your purchase. I also have a 712 that I use only to make
    millwork. I bought the unit used and it has performed beautifully. My
    machine is appoximately 12 years old. I too am a custom cabinetmaker
    and this machine paid for itself very quickly. I now have a nice collection
    of different knife profiles. I bought all of my knives from woodmaster and I
    found their customer service to be friendly, well informed, and responsive.
    Best of luck.

Terry Johnson

Fleming Island Finish Carpentry, Inc.

Very nice, Steve!

I'm curious...was the Williams and Hussy molder in the running for this purchase, and if so, what made you choose the Woodmaster? Any others you considered? (Really...just curious)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very nice, Steve!

I'm curious...was the Williams and Hussy molder in the running for this purchase, and if so, what made you choose the Woodmaster? Any others you considered? (Really...just curious)
    I considered the W&H Jim, even got the info pack.
    But never got to the pricing on it.

Steve,
    I have a 712 also and I think one of the best "accessories" you can use is the gang saw. I sure like to be able to run all the material through and have every piece exactly the same width. I know it can be done on a table saw, but it is so much easier running 16' pieces of material through with the power feed.
    Another thing I made for mine is 8' long in/out feed tables that make life a lot easier when running moldings.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by James Suzda View Post
    Steve,
    I have a 712 also and I think one of the best "accessories" you can use is the gang saw. I sure like to be able to run all the material through and have every piece exactly the same width. I know it can be done on a table saw, but it is so much easier running 16' pieces of material through with the power feed.
    Another thing I made for mine is 8' long in/out feed tables that make life a lot easier when running moldings.

Outfeed table is on the roundtoit list.

With the old belsaw, I have a table on rollers that worked somewhat.
    But I think I need something that adjusts for height, or maybe a table that has a higher top on the end than from the front.
    That way some of the molding wouldn't hit the front of the outfeed table as the molding droops down.

Quote Originally Posted by terry johnson View Post
    Steve,

Congrats on your purchase. I also have a 712 that I use only to make
    millwork. I bought the unit used and it has performed beautifully. My
    machine is appoximately 12 years old. I too am a custom cabinetmaker
    and this machine paid for itself very quickly. I now have a nice collection
    of different knife profiles. I bought all of my knives from woodmaster and I
    found their customer service to be friendly, well informed, and responsive.
    Best of luck.

Terry Johnson

Fleming Island Finish Carpentry, Inc.

Yes. I have a few cutters from Woodmaster, but most I have gotten them from Ballew Saw and Tool. Custom ground.

This variable speed sure is nice!

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I have the 26" model and love it. They do pay for themselves very quickly. Before I bought mine(used) I looked at the W&H, but it was very costley and seemed to be alot more work for setting up,plus with the W&H you have to buy the stand,motor as a extra. I believe it was close to 2k with stand and motor, which is the the same cost as the woodmaster.

Congrats

I have had a Woodmaster 718 for several months and have planned, ripped, and created moulding's (t&g) on it with great success (hobby use).

Never stand behind the boards you are putting in ... it will kick back .. measured about 30' in the air ... especially if you are sending in more that 1 board at a time.

My 718 has a dust/chip collection problem. I have it hooked up via a 10' long 4" hose to a 1600 cfm machine only getting about 80% of the chips (we are working outside so not sure about dust) .. going to try a 5' long 5" hose next week with a reducer on the machine.

If you do tongue and grove .. then expect to damage the feed rollers .

Rob

yo

you get all the neat toys
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Hey you have some neat ones also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pope View Post
    My 718 has a dust/chip collection problem. I have it hooked up via a 10' long 4" hose to a 1600 cfm machine only getting about 80% of the chips (we are working outside so not sure about dust) .. going to try a 5' long 5" hose next week with a reducer on the machine.

Rob
    The 5" hose won't help if you put a reducer on it. It will just be like a funnel; the bigger hose won't make any more air go through the smaller hole.

Here is what I did to dramatically help with dust collection. It is used as a gang rip, with most of the dust being made on the one side. If I were using the full width on a regular basis, I would add a third port on the other side.

Last edited by David Freed; 01-17-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Congrats Steve!
    You must make a lot of molding.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice, Steve!

james hit the nail on the head. the saw blade shaft for the woodmaster gives you the means of making 16 foot blanks. without it there'd be no way to do so in most small shops who are without a gang rip saw.

Very nice, Steve!

james hit the nail on the head. the saw blade shaft for the woodmaster gives you the means of making 16 foot blanks from rough lumber. without it there'd be no way to do so in most small shops without a gang rip saw.