Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had $2000 for a Table Saw??

Question If you had $2000 for a Table Saw??

If you had up to $2000 to spend for a Table Saw with 30" extension, which one would you choose. I know this will provoke lots of aligned comments but I need to replace my old Craftsman contractors saw and this is all I have to spend. I would love to have the features of a Saw Stop but cannot see spending that kind of money.

I can't speak for direct experience with some brands of table saws, but i have been very pleased with grizzly tools in general, and would give them heavy consideration along with jet and a delta.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

If you have to spend all 2K on the table saw, then I'm sure there are many here who can make suggestions, but if I were in your shoes, I would opt to spend less on the TS and the rest on either other tools I don't have or perhaps supplies for future projects.

As a for instance, I just finished putting my 53 unisaw back together. bought it for 200, got a used biesemeyer and bought a few parts, 500 dollars in, and I am very satisfied.

Now, depending on what else you have, maybe go another way...
    this is coming from a guy with a TS and router... and thats it...
    either way, good luck with you purchase
    ~Andrew

I would get a used cabinet or hybrid saw for under a grand and start saving for a sawstop cabinet saw. Then sell your used cabinet saw for the same or more money than you paid for it. That is what I did. I am Very happy with that approach.

I'll go with others, used Unisaw for a grand give or take, and then $1,000 for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Warren View Post
    If you had up to $2000 to spend for a Table Saw with 30" extension, which one would you choose. I know this will provoke lots of aligned comments but I need to replace my old Craftsman contractors saw and this is all I have to spend. I would love to have the features of a Saw Stop but cannot see spending that kind of money.
    One thing I would for sure do is get a tablesaw with a left tilt. I have a unisaw with right tilt and have been very happy with it except for the right tilt.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mason View Post
    If you have to spend all 2K on the table saw, then I'm sure there are many here who can make suggestions, but if I were in your shoes, I would opt to spend less on the TS and the rest on either other tools I don't have or perhaps supplies for future projects.

As a for instance, I just finished putting my 53 unisaw back together. bought it for 200, got a used biesemeyer and bought a few parts, 500 dollars in, and I am very satisfied.
    You have some valid points Andrew, but depending on where you live the chances of running into a $200 Unisaw are slim to none. Thats one heck of a deal you got in my opinion. Nice gloat, and with a pic too. But if I didn't want to fuss with used issues and I had $2000, I'd look to see if I could get a American made Unisaw new. If not see if any of the Powermatics or jets are made in America.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-17-2008 at 3:07 PM.

If you have to buy right away.. These are the models that I would look at (in no specific order)
    Grizzly 1023z
    Jet Deluxe XACTA (deluxe!!!! - it has the riving knife)
    Left tilt unisaw. I see these on sale all the time for under 2k.

If time is on your side, the used market is probably a much better deal. If you are really patient, you can probably find a sweet deal on an old uni. Less patience will get you a uni or pm66 for 800 - 1200 bucks. You can use the extra 1000 bucks to deck it out with incra stuff, jigs, a dovetailer, woodrat, etc, or heaven forbid - buy wood. If you go the used route, I would suggest an RSS reader that can alert you when a saw is posted on CL because good saws can go in a matter of hours.

Gary,

I just purchased the new Jet Deluxe Xacta. I will be picking it up on Saturday. I felt that "bank-for-buck" it offered the best quality and features. Including a very important feature: a riving knife. Give it a good look.

I also looked at the used saw market for quite a while and found that most of the unisaws that I found needed alot of work to make them what they needed to be. The ones that were in really good shape, didn't substantiate the savings of buying new. People want alot of money for quality Unisaws. I simply decided that I wanted to spend my first few weekends with my saw working with wood and not a machine. Also, I expect to keep this saw forever. That was woth the extra $$ to me.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    You have some valid points Andrew, but depending on where you live the chances of running into a $200 Unisaw are slim to none. Thats one heck of a deal you got in my opinion. Nice gloat, and with a pic too. For $2000 I'd make sure it was made in the US, if that's possible anymore.
    busted...

Yeah, I got lucky, but to echo others, plenty of good condition, American made table saws out there to be had.

I'd go for the left tilt Delta Unisaw. I have owned a right tilt Unisaw for sixteen years now and have never had a single problem with it. But if I were to do it again I would get a left tilt saw. If you can find a used one (right or left tilt) for $1,000 then you should grab it. Unless someone has really abused it then it should still work as well as when it was brand new. Mine does!

I only have one Grizzly tool (G0586 jointer) and love it so a Grizzly tablesaw might be worthwhile and would probably save you some money.

In the current market, I'd give serious consideration to the new Jet "Deluxe" LT product with the riving knife. The Jet LT cabinet saw I ran before I moved to my slider was an excellent machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't know if the Steel City with the granite top can be had for under 2k, but if not, it's close. I would give it a look.

WOW that seems like an easy one, I am surprised no-one has mentioned the PM2000. If you shop around you should be able to get it under 2K shipped. That's what I did last year and have been very happy with it. Barring that I would go with the new JET with the riving knife like Jim said.

Personally, I'd go for the Grizzly for half your budget, and put the rest toward something else. Then, I hardly ever use a table saw. If I used one more, (Mine sits in a corner. Only stationary tool I have on a mobile base. Haven't used it in months.), I might look at putting more into one. Maybe one with a riving knife. Still would probably go with the new Grizzly offering and save a few bucks though.