Thread: Unisaw Gloat!

Talking Unisaw Gloat!

Well, I took advantage of the Woodworker's Supply deal on the Unisaws. $1349.10 for a Delta Unisaw with 50" Biesemeyer fence and mobile base delivered to my garage (and I got a cheesey WW Supply measuring tape for free too!). I just couldn't resist. My plan was to get a cabinet saw sometime later this year, but this deal got me to pull the trigger early.

This particular Unisaw is right-tilt and has a 3 HP Marathon Motor. The mobile base is the Delta version. The Biesemeyer is the Commercial Fence. Unfortunately, it only came with one extension wing. I spent the weekend putting it together in between family events, and I've attached a few pics of the process.

1. The Unisaw still on it's pallet ready to be slid onto the mobile base. I laid a 1x4 across the back of the mobile base so I wouldn't scratch it as I slid the saw onto it.
    2. No scratches on the base, and my helper was there to make sure.
    3. I've read lots of comments on flatness issues with the unisaw. Front to back, my top is very flat, with only this .002 drop off at the very rear. This pic is at the very back of the saw top, behind the throat plate.
    4. From left to right, the top was again very flat. There was .0015 dip between the line of the blade and the left miter slot.
    5. The extension wing, mounted on the left, has a .0015 dish right in the center when checking left to right.

All in all, the saw was not too difficult to assemble. I had to shim between the top and the extension wing below the bolts to bring the wing up to the plane of the top (I used paper shims, a FWW subscription card to be exact). The top/wing combo is very flat as far as I'm concerned. I checked with feeler gauges all over the top to be sure. Didn't find a spot worse than .002 anywhere I tried. The table board was a different story. Placing a straight edge front to back on the table board revealed a dish right in the middle that pretty much ran the length of the table. It was worst right in the center, about 1/16 down. I don't think that will really affect anything though. Where the Biesemeyer's pads ride, the table board is level with the top. when sliding the fence, you can't even tell when you've moved from the table board to the cast iron top. So I'm not too concerned about it.

The saw is smooth and passes the nickel test no problem. The blade guard/splitter assembly is awful however. I've ordered the Delta splitter assembly from the uniguard for $31.70 direct from Delta. It's backordered until March 11 though. I've also ordered the PSI overarm guard and a Woodworker II. They should be here soon.

Woodworker's Supply was great to work with and so was the freight company (ABF).

Now to cut some wood!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Bourbois; 03-02-2004 at 1:02 AM.

Here's a pic of the completed Unisaw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe,

You are gonna love the saw and the Biesemeyer fence is in my opinion the best I have ever used. I purchased the 50" Biesemeyer for my Grizzly 1023 several years ago and it is still dead accurate without any adjustment since it was installed.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Let the chips fly Joe. Congrats.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Welcome to the club!

Joe,
    This is great news! I'm sure and your Unisaw will have many happy hours together.

I remember when I finally got my restored Unisaw up and running. I remember cutting up some 2" thick red oak without a hic-cup! Couldn't do that on my old Craftsman!

Good move on ordering the Delta Splitter. I have a Biesmeyer Splitter on mine and find it easy to use. Until the splitter arrives, you might want to use some fingerboards (or "feather-boards" as they are also called)

So you ordered the PSI Overarm Blade Guard? I have a used Excalibur OABG (which looks a lot like the PSI) that I purchased from Bill Grumbine. So far it has come in useful. I imagine that it will work much better when it gets hooked in my yet to be built central DC system.

Remember to apply some type of rust protection to the cast iron top! For the past 4 years, I've used Boeshield's T-9 and have not had a problem.

And for lubing the blade tilt and raising mechanisms, I recommend Dow Corning Dry Film Lubricant 557 Silicone (McMaster Carr P/N:1254K12, $11.75). Since this is a dry film lubricant, it does not attract sawdust. I give my Unisaw a shot once a year (or when needed).
    Dominic Greco

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Thumbs up

Congratulations Joe! I bought pretty much the same saw setup from Woodworker's Supply 5 years ago and I still smile when I fire it up. On the down side, I paid a bit more than $1350 for mine. I agree with you on the guard/splitter POC. I have not used mine since I added the Delta drop-in splitter. You will also like the WWII – good choice.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Its a beauty! Use it well!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Congrats, Joe! Looks like a winner to me. Now, go make some sawdust!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Congratulation Joe! I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it. Mine is the left-tilt model but other than that identical. Have fun.

I almost cried that's what I was going to get for christmas and then my finacial advisor (guess who) said we really couldn't afford that much. I found a used one (1983) with the old pipe type fence and only 1 1/2 horses. But I LOVE it! and for only $500.

hehe, that's my gloat.

Thanks for the kudos guys. My Woodworker II got here today, but they sent a thin-kerf by mistake! Doh!