I have been meaning to post these for a little while now. I designed and made this for my wife for XMAS to match the bed I made for her last XMAS (each year I make a new piece of the bedroom set till completed). The box is made of hard maple and Mahogany. The top center is a raised veneer panel of birdseye and mahogany with a Mahogany frame. The veneered section was planned to be all birdseye maple but when I resawed the piece of birdeye I bought it had a large defect on it, so I changed the design, cut out the defect and added the mahogany stripe, but I think I would have preferred the solid birdseye (however the wife is pleased so I think I'm OK). I lined the inside with cedar (man that stuff is hard on the blades).

Thanks to John Fry for his help on my veneering questions I had on this, and for his finish schedule which I've used on this piece and the bed. I am generally happy with the execution but if I were to do it again I would change my design to have a different edge profile on the lid.

Excuse the mess in the room, as we are getting ready to redo the rest of the room (paint, curtains etc.) and with a new puppy in the teething stage debris seems to be everywhere.