Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on my coffee table project

Need some advice on my coffee table project

Hey Guys,

So I have started the coffee table project to match the end table I built a while back. I have got my 3 walnut boards glued up, the pictures are straight out of the clamps. I have a couple of bad looking knots in the middle board and was wondering what to do. I have seen David Marks inlay other knots on them, good looking ones, which is an option. Or I could just try to fill them and see how they come out (leaining towards this) Or last I was thinking of an inlay. Basically the one picture shows how I am thinking of doing it, just inlay a big rectangle piece of tiger stripe maple or something that would look really eye catching. Only problem is I will be covering up so much solid, and beautiful black walnut. Anyway was wondering what you guys thought would be the best avenue to take on this top going forward. Thanks for any help, and I attached a couple of pics of my latest to projects to see what you all thought. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Scott; 01-18-2008 at 1:59 PM.

2 more pic to include, this was an endgrain cutting board that the man Marc Spagnolo taught me how to build.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Scott; 01-18-2008 at 2:01 PM.

you can fill it with a burn in stick or epoxy/sawdust mix and it will look fine, if you like the look of the knot.
    if you don't, you can "bowtie" it with walnut or another wood if you want a contrast.
    both design decisions on your part.

my 2 cents - it would be a shame to cover up so much walnut with a large inlay.

Jason - I agree with Julie - it would be a shame to cover up that much walnut. IMHO the knots give it great character. I personally would fill the holes with un-thickened epoxy to keep it clear. Apply tape to the backside of the board to prevent it from drooling out the back of the slab. I have built cedar strip boats and have found that the epoxy thickened with sanding flour/dust is always much darker than the "natural" wood color. I have seen David Marks just fill the holes with straight epoxy as well.

Great looking cutting boards. Mark S. has some great little tips and projects!

Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I agree with Julie and Rob. Keep the top walnut and fill as they've indicated. Nothing wrong with showing walnut with knots. I think it adds to the beauty.

Could go with a smaller round or oval center inlay.

My first choice would be filling it with dark brown or even black epoxy and leave the knots showing. Second choice since this looks roughly centered on the top anyway is to do a much smaller decorative inlay - just big enough to cover the knots. Maybe a diamond shape or something?
    Use the fence Luke

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I would just fill them with clear epoxy. Let it dry and scrap smooth.

Looking at both those pieces of furniture, I wonder if the problem might be solved (next time) by paying closer attention to stock selection and layout.

The small table looks well made, but the dramatic change in colour on the top ruins the piece.

Same for the larger table - the knots right in the middle are going to detract from your appearance. Was the other side of the board as bad? Was there another board you could have used?

Thanks for your replies, I will go the fill route and see how that goes.

Ron, in response to your "it ruins the piece", I think that is a bit harsh, and really one sided, but I did ask for it, so

Walnut is beautiful wood. I'd leave as is. This gives a more natural look. Go with your regular finishing schedule IMHO
    Jerry

12. Jason,
    Although this does not answer your question directly... Then end table is a wonderful blend of color. It makes me yearn for balance, either a mate to it done the exact same way, or in the original, the light shaded piece of wood could have been cut in two, and placed on the ends, with the dark piece in the middle, then the symnmetry with the lower rim of the same ligher shade would be brought out like you have it now, and yet with more balance in the upper piece. There is a certain freedom in what you have done. Instead of being afraid of stepping outside of the box, you have danced around convention, and expressed something unique.
    If you were Andy Warhol, or a few of the other famous artists, they may have done it your way, just to catch your attention.
    The other thing I want to note is that it is funny, but where the knots in life appear, the defects so to speak is also the place where the most incredible amounts of beauty arrive as well. I would try to maintain as much of the original piece as others have said, but treating just the knot without destroying the beauty that surrounds it.
    What does Frank Klaus say about his creations, the imperfections is what gives it it's character. Beautiful work.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 01-18-2008 at 9:37 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Hello there,

I have filled knots like that with epoxy. I mixed some black pigment powder in with it and once sanded flush and finished it does not look like a fix.

Take care,

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    Jason,
    Although this does not answer your question directly... Then end table is a wonderful blend of color. It makes me yearn for balance, either a mate to it done the exact same way, or in the original, the light shaded piece of wood could have been cut in two, and placed on the ends, with the dark piece in the middle, then the symnmetry with the lower rim of the same ligher shade would be brought out like you have it now, and yet with more balance in the upper piece. There is a certain freedom in what you have done. Instead of being afraid of stepping outside of the box, you have danced around convention, and expressed something unique.
    If you were Andy Warhol, or a few of the other famous artists, they may have done it your way, just to catch your attention.
    The other thing I want to note is that it is funny, but where the knots in life appear, the defects so to speak is also the place where the most incredible amounts of beauty arrive as well. I would try to maintain as much of the original piece as others have said, but treating just the knot without destroying the beauty that surrounds it.
    What does Frank Klaus say about his creations, the imperfections is what gives it it's character. Beautiful work.
    Bob,

Thanks for your post, I must admit now that I look at it I think I understand what was being said, I just did not like the "you ruined it" part, but I guess to some people I did. You are correct about the freedom thing, when I was constructing it, I actually thought "hey that will look cool", but I completely see your point about balance. On this coffee table actually which was what the post was mainly for, I am striving for that. All 3 of the boards used were from the same tree, and close to the same color and grain pattern. I removed all the sapwood edges before gluing, which in the small table some of the lower rails have sapwood in them. This is only my 3rd project since I came back into woodworking from a kid and maybe I am taking it all too serious.

In Ron's reply although I appreciated that he said it looked well constructed, I guess it is the first time I heard someone say basically, "Man you f'ed that part up" and I guess it just stings a bit. I could always pull the top off and put a new, "balanced" one on, but I'm not sure that would be the right thing to do, b/c I have learned a lesson on this table, then again maybe I should, guess I'll think about it, thanks guys.

Jason

You're right, Jason ... sorry that my comment was so harsh. I'm really talking about the difference between Good and Very Good, not Very Good and Very Bad.