Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HF Digital Angle Gauge. Anyone used one?

Greg and Glenn,

The resolution of the Beale is greater than that of the Wixey. However, the accuracy is not. There is a big difference in those two terms. With either box, the uncertainty of the measurement is 0.1 degree. The extra number displayed on the Beale doesn't tell you anything. It just seems like it does.

While we are talking about accuracy, I will say that the cumulative effect of cutting all the angles in an octagon @ 0.1 degree error will certainly be noticeable, but only if you glue one piece at a time. If I were going to fabricate an octagon, I would glue it up all at once so that the errors are divided among all the joints rather than being stacked up so that one joint has all the error. In that case, the 0.1 degree error would not be visible.

Art

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I think Greg means That 1/100th * and I don't think that is too picky. If I want a half a 45* the Wixey will tell me 22.5* but if I want half of that, it will not tell me 11.25* where the Beall would.

Don't get me wrong, the Wixey is great and they are great to deal with. Just every now and then when I want to split hairs . . . .

Thanks for having my back Glenn, I did mean 1/100th*... I needed one more 000000000000000000000000... uh oh, key problemssssssss...ooooopppppppsssssss...ccccccrrrr rraaaaapppppp...

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Blog Entries
    Art,
    You may be correct, after all, I am an accountant and statistician, not an engineer. In statistics, though, if there is a probability of accuracy given, it refers to the guarantee that the accuracy is off by 'no more than' .1%. In other words, it could be off .1 or it could be off by much less in any given operation. It will not be off by that same .1 in every operation.

I have a belief that I want to be as precise as humanly and mechanically possible if the lack of precision may be noticeable at all.

Of course, nothing I make is really that good... which could probably be said of any accountant.

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Greg,

I am an engineer -- and nothing I make is that good either. I try to substitute good equipment for skill.

There have been many discussions about the accuracy of the Wixey and the Beale box on this board and Woodnet. There are always those people who will claim that neither of these devices is accurate enough for what they do. In response, I have posted examples of demanding applications where the best possible accuracy is in order. Using basic trigonometry, it is easy to show that there are many other factors that are far more significant than an angular inaccuracy of +/- 0.1 degree, not the least of which is the nature of the material itself. The exception to this observation is assemblies where the accuracy of a joint depends entirely on the accuracy of all previous ones. Your octagon was such an example.

The other point that I like to make in these discussions is that no technique or instrument will guarantee that an angle is set precisely. There are just too many sources of human and machine error in the process. Trial cuts on scrap material are always in order when accuracy really matters.

Art

I was reading the Harbor Freight unit takes 3 button batteries. At around $3 the going rate it would cost you $9.00 to replace the batteries. I have the Wixy and got a 2 pack of batteries for $2.99. The wixy only takes one battery.

Where to get Beall tilt meter

I got mine through Lee Valley.

I will admit I am partially biased having almost been killed when I bought cheap spring compressor's to change the strut's on my car from HF.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I think Greg means That 1/100th * and I don't think that is too picky. If I want a half a 45* the Wixey will tell me 22.5* but if I want half of that, it will not tell me 11.25* where the Beall would.

Don't get me wrong, the Wixey is great and they are great to deal with. Just every now and then when I want to split hairs . . . .
    Just remember both devices have a +/- 0.1 degree accuracy.

I got one on Friday. It's going back for a refund on Monday. Problems are as follows:

The magnets (three on the base) are recessed and it won't stick to a table saw blade without sliding down.

Since the magnets are recessed, the box sits on it's plastic bottom. It rocks a little bit. Not a good thing.

It has four buttons- two too many. ON/OFF, "0%" button which compares two readings, CALIBRATE and HOLD.

It didn't always return to zero. I zeroed it on my table saw table, checked the blade angle then put it back on the saw table. It usually showed a difference of .1 to .3 degrees from the original zero.

I'm probably going to get a Beall.

Someone mentioned that the Harbor Freight caliper is as accurate as a Starett and is about one tenth the price. I use a Starett for reloading and a HF in the woodshop and have compared them many times, they have always given the same measurement. Of course this may not apply to the angle gauge

I realize the start of this thread was quite a while back but just wanted to post a heads up for anyone contemplating the HF angle gauge versus either the Wixey or the Beall...Rockler has the Wixey angle gauge on sale for $29.99 right now. That is the same price as the HF gauge that was asked about.

I can vouch for the fact that an HF 6" caliper that had remained accurate to 0.001" for several years does not remain so accurate after being dropped on the floor. It is definitely not as painful as dropping a Starrett would be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Harbor freight is a great cheap tool store and you get exactly what you pay for. I have no problem buying non precision tools from harbor freight. An accurate angle gauge is not something I would ever purchase from harbor freight.
    I'm with Keith. I do have a couple of their digital calipers but I took my good one along and found 2 out of 6 of theirs that were good. They were on sale for $6 so it was worth the effort, I guess. I still find myself double checking them and so have avoided HF for anything precision since. I just can't feel confident with them. For lots of other stuff, they're fine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Some people on here have pointed out that the claimed degree of accuracy of the Wixey and Beall is +-.1 degree. That doesn't mean that they are definitely going to be off by +- .1 degree. It just means that they are guaranteeing that they will be at least that accurate. I have owned both units. I have checked both against a known-to-be-accurate 90 degree square. They are both accurate and repeatable.

When I've put both gauges on the saw blade at the same time and slowly cranked over the blade both gauges changed in .1 degree increments at the same time. But the Beall also changed in .05 degree increments half way between each .1 degree increment. So, I established that the gauges are at least as accurate as the dead-on square I have. I've established that the .05 degree increment is indeed useful when adjusting a saw blade. As I stated in my review on this forum comparing the Wixey to the Beall, both are very good gauges. But the Beall will do everything the Wixey will do and more.

By the way, I know my squares are accurate because I checked a few of them against a reference square at the machine/fab shop where I used to work. And to top that off, I bought the squares from Harbor Freight! So, to all of you who are so prejudiced towards HF stuff, well, there ya go. I only paid a few bucks a piece for them too.

All of that being said, I would buy the Beall before the HF or Wixey mostly because I like the features. But also because J.R. Beall invented his gauge and he's willing to talk to me on the phone about it. Wixey didn't invent his gauge and, at least at the time, he didn't even offer a phone number. He did answer emails promptly though. HF didn't invent their gauge either but they do at least have a phone number.

Bruce

HF is fine for most things...even precision stuff. The issue is that you aren't necessarily going to get that one HF square that your Starrett says is dead nuts on. It is luck of the draw.

It is like going to the borg with your Starrett straight-edge to find the flattest aluminum level so you can use it instead of your expensive Starrett to do things around the shop. How many levels in the bin did you go through? Same thing with HF only you have play UPS man....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.