Thread: Delta Unisaw problem

Delta Unisaw problem

I have Uni with what I hope is a minor maintenance issue. When I raise the blade to the highest point in order to change the blade the blade binds and can not be turned. This may be helpful when trying to remove the blade but I don't think it is the way it was designed to operate. In the first place if I tried to raise the blade for a plunge cut through a 4x4 it could be dangerous. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had an answer to this issue.

Rick, I have a Uni and do not have that problem. I'm thinking that you might have some excess metal flashing from the casting process sticking down and lodging up against the pulley or there may be some hardened sawdust stuck up there doing the same thing. How old is the saw?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Uni limit bolt

Also check that there isn't a missing limit bolt. There are adjustable limit bolts to zero the trunion travel for 0 and 45 degrees. I'll bet there is one to limit the amt the blade can be raised.
    Ageing is a gradual process in which we become increasing irrelevant.

It is a new Delta X5 that I've had for just about a year. I can't see a limit bolt but that doesn't mean there isn't one. When I raise the blade it appears that all three belts touch the bottom of the table equally. I'm perplexed! I will be calling Delta on Monday.

Rick, my Unisaw is about 20 years old and I have the same problem, I will be interested to see what the problem is.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Jim,

I guess it's good and bad to know I'm not the only one with the problem. I just hope there is a solution. Hopefully Delta will have an answer.

Did you put link belts in it? That will cause this problem because the link belt sits taller than the OEM belt.

Pete

No link belts. The saw is in stock condition, just as it came from the factory.

Problem solved!

The Delta technician, a contractor named Ernest Prando who works for TJ Hardware in Albuquerque spotted the problem immediately. He notice that there was some unusual grinding marks on the gear that raises and lowers the blade and that at the end of the gear an ear had broken off that limits the travel. He is contacting Delta for a replacement part and will return to install it as soon as it arrives. See the photo below.

Attached Images Attached Images

Glad it worked out for you, now you'll have a better idea of what to look for next time.

I thought it was perhaps Delta's answer to the Saw Stop!

Broken gear aside, you can have this problem on a PM66 if the arbor isn't in correct horizontal position or the sheave is too far out on the arbor shaft. Not sure on a Delta saw.