Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Suggestion for my new shop

Any Suggestion for my new shop

Hello,

I just moved into a new house and lucky for me I have a large basement which I can use for my shop. In the past I primarily turned wood, but now I want to get into other areas of woodworking. While the space is large, it does have some areas that make placing of equipment more of a challenge. Attached is a scaled drawing of my planned shop. There is a load bearing wall on the between the TS and Planner. Item in read are future purchases. I would really like you comments regarding:

1) The placement of equipment - especially the bandsaw, jointer and planner.

2) Placement of Shop Air Filtration System.

I read some discussions here on using half plywood instead of drywall for the walls and ceiling. What is the cost premium for plywood over drywall. Is the benefits really worth the additional expense.

Also, does anyone know a good source for 4 and 8 foot fluorescent fixtures - with a good electronic ballast and T-8?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Douglas Snyder; 01-19-2008 at 9:43 AM.

Shop Layout

Doug,
    I think you'll find that with the layout shown, your planer will be in the way when cutting sheet goods on the TS. My suggestion would be to move the jointer alongside the far right end of the TS. It's out of the way of the saw, but very convenient for moving back and forth from the saw to the jointer. Then, put the planer where the jointer is, on a mobile base, and the planer can be pulled out for use, or parked against the wall, out of the way. Hope this helps!
    Kurt Bird

If you are going to do more woodworking you may want to change the lathe room into a finish room. If there was one thing I wish it would be to have a always clean environment to finish in.

Keith's idea is a great one. Looks like you have plenty of room in the main shop for a lathe.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

few thoughts.

- It looks like you have a good spot to wall off the DC/compressor. Do it right and it will save you a lot of noise while in the shop.

- air filtration I would just hang from the ceiling in a central location, like above the TS.

- as mentioned, move planer away from table saw.

- I wouldn't have the RAS so close to the edge of that long bench. with that much space I would like to have like 6 if not 8 feet on both sides.

Looks like you have a great space there I am jealous. Good luck!

My thoughts while looking at your floor plan was a combination of Keith's and Kurt's!
    In addition, I'm guessing that the double door in the now lathe room is your ground level entrance to the shop? If so, move one of your lumber storage racks to where the counter is there in the "hallway" and put your lathes along the wall where the electrical panel shows. That should give you good room, mobility, and use the now lathe room as your assembly and finishing room. Close to the double doors for delivering the final product.
    Great space, by the way!! I'm envious!! Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Possible move your table saw and planer at an angel for easier use of long boards and put your lathes on the wall that says electrical panel and use the lathe room for finishing as Keith stated. Also as far as the finishing room it does not have to be that big so you could build a temporary wall out of 2 x 4s and just screw it in place and put plastic on it that way you can still use some of the room for your sharpening stations and such and still have a finishing room and if you don’t like it, it did not cost much to do and you can just take it down and you can re-use the 2xs. Plus I would make sure you put lots of electrical in 110 and 220 due to the fact (as I have found in the past buy my own experience) that you get new tools and or change the lay out as you start to work in a new area and it’s nice to have the flexibility in place as things change … good luck ... also 4 ft lights are generaly cheaper than 8ft.ers
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Is it possible to relocate the compressor in the HVAC room and plumb air lines to the places where it will be used? That would reduce te noise.

My addition to the conversation (and I do agree with using that other room for finishing rather than turning, BTW) is to move the RAS and CMS closer together in the middle of the long bench. That will give you maximum benefit for both when crosscutting longer stock. BTW, Welcome to SMC!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello Kurt, Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, I have a load bearing wall left of the table saw and on the right front there is a steel pole. These two obstacles make it more difficult. At one time I was thing about placing either the bandsaw by the steel pole or placing the jointer to the right.

With respect to suggestion about a seperate paint room. I actually have one adjacent to the Lathe Room. I have a windows and compressed air to this room. This is mainly for finishing wooden vessels... I airbursh and goldleaf them, however it would work for painting other things too. Also I have double doors to go outside. I have cemented the area under the screen in porch and want to use that for spray paint large pieces or just having a place to work out side in the spring and summer.

I do appreciate all you comments....sometimes it gets so easy to have tunnel vision.

BTW what is RAS?

Thank you,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Snyder View Post
    BTW what is RAS?
    Radial Arm Saw...you appear to be showing one on the left side of the long bench that also has your miter saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Art,

That is a good idea. I have extra room in that space and since it is not build yet, I can easly add it. Thank You.

Jim,

Thank you. I just discover SMC and it is great. It is great to have a place to share ideas and get feedback. I rather look like a fool here, then wind up spending all I have budgeted on the shop on a design that lacks.

Finally figure it ....RAS out thanks. I already moved it so there is 9 feet to left, beside another 3 feet for the door opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Snyder View Post
    Hello Kurt, Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, I have a load bearing wall left of the table saw and on the right front there is a steel pole. These two obstacles make it more difficult. At one time I was thing about placing either the bandsaw by the steel pole or placing the jointer to the right.

Douglas

I would suggest rotating your table saw 180 degrees so the right side is against that load bearing wall. A buddy of mine has his table saw and excalibur sliding crosscut table set up in this fashion and it works great. The other benefit of doing that will allow you to use your workbench as infeed support for ripping 8 foot stock.

Next I would move the jointer to where your planer is now and have the planer in the same general area for good work flow. (Joint a face, joint an adjacent edge, plane to thickness, etc).

I would move the drill press and put it beside your sanding center. Something to keep in mind is the router table will need infeed and outfeed space if your are going to be making your own moulding.

Your only other challenge is your bandsaw. Where are you going to use it more? For roughing lathe blanks or cutting curved pieces for regular woodworking. Ideal solution would be to get another bandsaw. ;-).

BTW, I am hugely jealous of all that real estate for your shop. Maybe you also need to find a spot to but in a cot for the ocassions when the LOYL makes you sleep on the couch. (HEHE)

Cheers

Brian