Thread: Indy Woodworking Show = Bust!!!

Indy Woodworking Show = Bust!!!

Drove 120 miles each way, walked a fair distance in frigid weather, paid a lot of money for gas, parking and admission to the show at the fair grounds and an hour later I was ready to walk out totally disappointed. It seems that every year there is getting to be less and less incentive to attend these shows. I feel that perhaps they have run their course for gathering attention and information to the hobby or that perhaps even though they are becoming even more mediocre, people still support them and by the promoters standards, they claim success, I call them a bust.

This year, with the exception of a General/Shop Fox dealer and he won't be there on Sunday, the only other equipment manufacturer was Dewalt/PC/Delta. I wanted to see some new saws, planers and jointers, they were virtually non-existant. Not a single Jet, Steel City, Sawstop, etc to be seen anywhere. The trend however is fewer and fewer oem manufaturers each year.

If we continue to support these shows, I think they will continue to be degraded further each year. I believe that if the promoters saw their golden goose getting lean, they may start to offer more incentives for us to attend.

Sad to say, this is my last show until things improve.

WW Show

I went to the one in Houston last yr and it also was very small compare to previous yrs.The parking goes up and the entry fee's go up a dollar each yr,less and less venders each yr.I went to the first one they had here which was at the Adams Mark Hotel then grew into the Astro Hall.It use to be wall to wall people.I was hopeing to see the Dowelmax in action.I guess things change.

Blog Entries
    Sorry that was such a poor trip. Which show was this? I'll stick with "the Woodworking Shows" as I have yet to hear anything good about any of the others that pass through.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've worked in shows like this and I can say that all it takes is for one bad year, and that can spell the end for a show. The rent paid for the booths is very high, and if the crowd don't turn out, you can lose a lot of money.

The 'big boys' look at it as a chance to wave the company flag, and so it's not so critical that they make sales, but the people don't come to see flag waving, instead they are looking for sales, and deals.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sorry that was such a poor trip. Which show was this? I'll stick with "the Woodworking Shows" as I have yet to hear anything good about any of the others that pass through.
    The show was put on by Woodworking Shows.
    It has been on a down hill slide for the last 5 years.

Too bad - I was planning on going to the show in St. Paul, but maybe it's a waste of time and especially money. I went a couple of years ago and that show was a waste. I was just glad I found a parking space on the street and walked a few blocks to save the $15 parking fee.

Here is the link http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

Wow that's funny, I was just about to post a question about this very thing. I was thinking about driving down to the Atlanta show next week, so I went to the Woodworking Shows website to look at the program. I didn't see any of the large tool makers there except for a couple like Delta, Laguna and Ridgid.

I didn't see Jet or Grizzly or Steel City or Rikon or any of the ones I was considering purchasing this year. Is this thing not worth going to after all?

I actually had a good time

I went to the Indy show and actually had a good time. Grew up in Indy and used to go to the statefair and hear the hawkers. It was like being a kid again. Bought some Jet clamps, Kreg kit, and a few other small stuff. Got to use a bunch of LV planes. But I am relative new to this hobby and first WWshow. I had hoped to see and compare the new bigger saws, no go. Will it be as much fun year after year. probably no, but was fun this year. Ray

I too always look forward to getting down to Indy, all our our kids live there, along with Rocklers and the super store for electronics, Fry's. The woodworking show was just the extra bonus and treat for grown up toy buyers. I guess I was too tired and yet smoldering last night after getting home when I wrote the original post. I had forgotten to mention that indeed Rigid and Laguna were present. Unfortunately, I wasn't looking for one of their products.

Still I think I will pass in the future on these shows and rely on people like ourselves who frequent and participate in the great forums like SMC for info, guidance and experiences.

I stopped going to "THE WOODWORKING SHOW" a couple years ago. Just not worth the money. I think the problem is, at least for me, Here in Cincinnati we have a Rockler, Woodcraft, A large industrial and home woodworking dealer Edward B. Muellers. And another large Hardwood and equipment dealer opening soon. I can go and see/buy almost anything I want at any time. Going to a show is just no big deal.

True, the Woodworking Show has been on a downward spiral. But now they have new owners (Woodline and Bad Dog Tools) expect things to improve. It will take time though. Originally, Reader Digest (American Woodworker) was to buy the Show, but deal fell through at the last moment. Take the Show for what it is- entertainment. Go with some friends and have a good time.

That's disappointing news - I am in the market for a table saw and was hoping on making my decision and hopefully getting a good deal at the show in Houston in April. I was hoping to get my hands on the new granite top Steel City w/riving knife but they are not attending.

I went to the show in indy, fortunately for me it is less than a 10 minute drive. There were Jet and Steel City tools there, but they were displayed by local distributors, not a corporate display. I was in and out in an hour and didn't spend a cent other than the $7 admission and $3 parking.
    I should have taken the afternoon and visited Rockler, WoodCraft, HD, Lowes and Harbor Freight. I would have seen more for free.

Mark