Thread: table saw lube?

table saw lube?

my 22124 squeaks when i raise/lower/tilt the blade. the manual says to keep everything clean and free of saw dust, so i cleaned it out thoroughly yesterday, but it's still squeaking.

can anyone recommend a lube? i was thinking lithium grease but i'd have to go get some- a long drive for me- and all i have on hand are wd-40, silicone spray, and another do-it-all spray.

thanks,
    rb

Many recommend using a dry graphite lube on table saw mechanisms because sawdust won't stick to it. This is the problem with other lubes such as lithium grease etc.

Doug Lindley Guest
    WD-40 is not meant to be a long term lubricant but may help temporarily, you should avoid using anything with silicone in it around woodworking equiptment because of cross contamination on wood surfaces. I believe most people recommend a dry lubricant spray or the white lithium grease.

I suggest you read the can of the do it all spray you have, it may be okay as long as it doesn't have silicone in it.

Doug

I removed all grease,oil, etc from all my woodworking equipment. After a thorough cleaning, a good coat with Dow321 ( a dry lubricant) keeps everything smooth. No oil or grease, becouse oil, grease+ wood dust = concrete.

Cheers,
    Bernhard

I've read an article in one of the mags that recommended lithium grease and paste wax for the various mechanisms. I tried this, and wasm't very happy with the longevity. I'm now using a teflon based "dry" chain lube I had for my bicycles. It goes on wet, but dries very quickly and is meant to keep sand and other debris from accumulating on bicycle chains. Seems to be working great so far. It comes in a dropper bottle, so I can apply it only where needed. Just something else that you may have on hand already.

I wish I'd seen this thread a week ago. I just sheared of the roll pin that holds the gear to the shaft that tilts my blade. It got clogged with sawdust because it had some kind of grease from the manufacture. A thourogh cleaning and trying to figure out how to fix this.

I don't know how I'm going to fix this. Ther is NO ROOM in ther to try to hammer the pin in. I'm stuck....
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

table saw lubricant

I've been using a good quality, furniture grade paste wax for over 40 years. My father recommended it to me. I use an old tooth brush to apply it to the gears and cogs. You can heat-bend it to facilitate application of the wax to the harder to reach areas. A tube oiler catches those other spots that need a drop of oil. For me, this works fine, also use the wax on my top. After buffing, what is left, has never interfered with with my finish. Good luck with your search. Al

Rocky,

I use a product called PG2000 Penetrating Lubricant made by ProGold Lubricants. It is formulated for industrial, commercial and woodworking applications. This stuff is great and will not gum up with sawdust. I order it through Highland Hardware and usually keep a couple of cans in the shop.

Roger

Rocky,

I use a dry moly spray lubricant on my Jet. This stuff works great and attracts nothing. It can be messy so use gloves and try not to get it all over the inside of the saw.

IMHO it's one of the best extreme duty dry spray lubes I've ever used.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I use a dry graphite lube. Still have a few cans left from when I worked on trucks. Anything wet will attracted dust and become a huge mess makeing more work down the road.

thanks for all the suggestions, guys. i guess i'll have to make a trip out and get some dry lube.

thanks, again,

rb