Thread: Random Orbit Sander?

Random Orbit Sander?

Hello, I don't think I've came near this forum in a while, I am mainly a turner's forum guy. But I also do a little flatwork (I know someone who is from the turners forum will make a smart remark about that statement)

I am in the market for a RO sander, and I need suggestions. 5" would be plenty for what I'm doing, and I would like to try to stay under $100. Thanks for your input!

Here's the one I use...one model older I think...works fine.
    ~$75.00 on Amazon...
    From Bosch site-
    Bosch 5'' Palm Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander/Polisher - 1295DVS
    • Multi-purpose sander with pad that both orbits and rotates, duplicating natural hand sanding action and delivering a smooth, well-blended surface finish.
    • Extended Random Orbit Sanding Action - Provides a fine finish faster by using a 1/16" eccentric offset, 1/8" orbit
    • Reduces exposure to dust by collecting up to 120% more dust than other leading brands
    The 1295DVS Features
    • 2.2 Amps, 7,000-12,000 OPM speed range Ensures fast, smooth results on all surfaces
    • Enhanced Random Orbit Sanding Action Uses a 1/8"-diameter eccentric orbit (1/16" offset) plus free rotation to provide a fine, swirl-free finish faster or aggressive stock removal.
    • Integral pad dampening system Helps prevent swirl marks for consistent fine finish
    • High-performance Microcellular Backing Pad Conforms to contours, provides a fine finish
    • Uses 8-hole 5" Hook and Loop Sanding Discs Uses readily available, industry-standard discs
    • Through-the-pad dust extraction pulls dust away from work surface to maximize sanding efficiency and extend paper life
    • Bosch Microfilter Dust Canister with integrated paper filter Optimal system for filtering fine dust. Captures up to 120% more dust than the competitor models and traps particles as small as a 1/2 micron in diameter.
    • Dust Sealed Switch For long life
    • Variable speed dial Allows match of speed to workpiece and task
    • Ergonomic motor housing For alternate, side grip position
    • Ergonomic Soft-grip top For comfort and control
    • Double insulated
    Includes
    • Soft Backing Pad -- RS031
    • Pad Wrench; 5mm Hex -- 1 907 950 006
    • Sanding Disc -- Included
    • Microfilter Dust Canister -- RS025
    Specifications
    Model Number1295DVSAmperage2.2Disc Size5″Eccentric Offset1/16″ (1.5mm)Height5″Length10″Weight (lbs.)3.5Engineering Number0601295739Rating120VWidth5″No Load OPM7,000-12,000Country OriginMexicoCategoryRandom Orbit Sanders
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Hello Ben,

The 6" Festool w/dust collector will run you about $715.00

{waiting a few min. while Ben picks himself up off the floor - -hey how about those Cleveland Browns eh? Nobody gave them a chance this season and they did pretty,,,Oh I see Ben is back}
    Ok - so sooner or later someone was going to bring it up. Figured I'd get it out of the way early

I have a DeWalt 5" and a porter Cable 5" - both sell for around $50.00.
    The PC was a freebie (Amazon promotion about a month ago) with the purchase of a router.

Both are decent for the money.
    The Bosch usually gets the nod though in the ROS threads.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I use the older PC 333 and just had to replace the belt after many many hours of sanding. It is a 5" 5 hole Hook and Loop. DC is good with the hose, but I sand on a downdraft so dust is no existent. Not sure on the new PC's.

6" I use the Ridgid model but it is fairly new to me. Initial is positive although I don't like the larger body but that is a function of the size of the disk than that particular unit.

If I had the air power I would have gone Dynabrade but it takes lots and lots of constant air to run one.

I have used the 5" (125) festool and it is a good unit with low vibration. Maybe when the trusty 333 pukes for good I will go with one.

Ultimately a sander runs in a small orbit and rubs the surface. How it feels in your hand is #1.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Prior to getting my current solution, I used a couple of PC333 5" ROS and they worked just fine. Honestly, any of the units in this price range will do good work, especially when it's not heavy. Also consider the Ridgid 6" which is, if I recall, made by Metabo. I don't recall the price, but it's not huge. Try to by the best quality tools you can as that's the better long term investment. If you need to save for and additional month to do that, that's sometimes the better choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ah, yes.... Now that I've recoverd from my heart attack, let me just say that there was one thing that I didn't include in my first post: NO FESTOOL! Too much money, and It required too much space! Although they do have nice products.

I am funny about power tools, they are kind of like new digital DSLR cameras. I really don't think there is a bad one out there.
    I think it is more the feel of the tool, if it feels right in your hand then I am sure the work you do with it will be good.

So I guess I would say go handle a few and see which one feels the best in you hand. I really don't think that any of the major brands out there are bad and will not do the job for you.

Ben, I'm not a big Ridgid fan, but I do have a couple of their tools.
    Their ROS from HD is one of my favorite tools. ~$70, and probably a deal from time to time. It's nice and smooth. The variable speed has been very useful, and I like the long cord. Don't think you could go wrong with one. I've had mine 2 or 3 years with no problems after a lot of use.

I have a PC 333vs that I recently bought when my old Bosch 3283 started having problems. I dont like the PC sander in comparison to my old Bosch. The PC stops spinning when I put too much downward pressure on it, or try to get too aggressive with it. Its ok for light duty finish sanding, but I still like my Bosch for good all around sanding. At least with the Bosch I can push it hard and will keep spinning the disc. I just ordered all the parts I need to rehab the old Bosch, so I can use it again until it completely dies. Then I MIGHT consider a Festool Rotex 150. Otherwise Ill stick to Bosch I think.

I do a lot of curved work and most ROS's have a hard edge. I use a Makita because the edge allows for a little flex to help with inside radius sanding.

Porter Cable 5" is what I have and really like it, good dust collection that can be hooked to a shop vac.

I've got a Bosch 1295 DVSK and recomend it highly.It and the Bosch 1/2 sheet sander make quite a good team. DC on both is pretty good too; not up to Festool but then these are affordable!

I use the Ridgid 5" because I had some home depot give cards but it's turned out to be a very nice sander.

Looked at several, ended up buying the makita, fit well and was on sale, been happy so far.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

The 2 best electric I've used are Bosch and Fein. The Fein was nice but defitintely not that much better to justify the silly price tag. (I wasn't the owner)

No sander is IMO, unless you're going to be using it every day, in which case I would probably go pneumatic anyway.

They all pretty much work.