Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on shop upgrade

Need advice on shop upgrade

I have one of those problems that you love to have. I have $1000 available to upgrade my shop. The problem is where to spend the money.

Here is my current tool list:
    - 10" Craftsman TS w/ two cast iron extension wings
    - Fisch bench top drill press
    - Makita 2012 planer
    - vintage Sears 6" jointer
    - Craftsman 12" bandsaw
    - Makita air compressor
    - 10" chop saw
    - two routers 1 1/2 HP fixed craftsman & Hitachi M12V
    - Small Jet 2 bag dust collector

So I am trying to figure out where best to invest. Should I upgrade my table saw, or just replace it? Get a real bandsaw (someone gave me the 12" craftsman)?
    If I keep my saw, I was considering getting a vega fence as the current one is never square. Also thinking of getting a HVLP spray kit. What do you think?

Mike

If twere me, I would get a new bandsaw.
    But, I dont know what kind of woodworking you do?
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Does your shop have 220v?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Mike, we need to know what you work on.

I would upgrade the tablesaw, or the jointer to an 8" one.

Describe your project and that will help.

I have always upgraded tools based on a current project or need.

Lathe. Stationary belt sander. Router table. Jet parallel clamps. Wood. (not in any particular order)

You should consider adding some EZ Smart Tools. They are highly functional, top quality and made in America. Above all, there's no safer way to make precise, accurate cuts or to use your router. Either that or maybe you could get a nice big screen LCD TV for your shop. But I think the EZ would be more productive.

Bruce

It depends on what you plan on doing the most and how happy you are with your current selection. Aside from that I am a big fan of buying used and it has made me a Craig's List junky. If you aare patient you could upgrade several items in your shop and sell off the old stuff as you go.

Or just blow it all on a Grizzley 0513X bandsaw which is my only "new" purchase.

I think a top notch fence is worth the money, either an incra or jointech. The incra router fence with joiner jig is awesome. Makes easy dove tails and other joints.

You should use the money for things you actually need to do the projects you have lined up that you either don't have now or have an inadequacy with your current setup.

If your table saw is serviceable and you like it outside of the fence, a good fence upgrade is worth the money. A table saw with an inaccurate/inconsistent fence is pretty much unusable.

And also consider decent hand tools to expand your skills...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Well, if I had 1k to spend and did not have a cyclone, i would get a cyclone. You seem to have a good collection of tools. Or if you are happy with the small dc get a bs or maybe. It would relly help to know what kind of work you do, size of your shop, power to your shop. Maybe if all else fails you can send the money my way. I will put it towards a pellet stove to keep warm.

Cool

Like Steve said, we would need to know what you like to work on and how often. I have always been a firm believer that the top 3 shop items should never be skimped on:
    1. Table saw (Cabinet of no less than 3HP)
    2. 8" jointer (Delta, Grizzly or PM)
    3. Quality planer

Once these items have been purchased, you really wouldn't need to upgrade (except for maybe the planer in future years). So, if it were me and based on the items you've listed you already have, I would personally sell the contractor saw and invest in a cabinet saw. Just my .02 cents.

PS: I like the last name "kiewicz". I too am originally from WI (Racine County)

Possible new router table with lift and router motor.

New bandsaw.

Buy a Beis fence for your TS.

I didn't see a lathe on your list. Are you going to turn anything?

Maybe some hand tools-chisels, planes,saws etc..

I could easily spend a grand on accessories for the shop- new TS blade, router bits, hardware, turning tools, finishing supplies; stuff like that.

If you have hand tools ,do you have a sharpening system like a Tormek or waterstones?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Thanks for all the advice!

To answer some of the questions:

Some of the projects I am working on or are planned: Small cabinet for kitchen counter w/ drawers, a bench with back for entry way, sofa table, then maybe kitchen table.

I do have a router table that I made and a router Raizer on the M12V, I am currently building a fence for it.

Scott - I don't have 220V, but I could put it in easily

Randy - How may times have people put ..ski on the end of your name when trying to pronounce it?

Al - my shop is 18 x 9, so somewhat narrow.

I am leaning towards a fence upgrade for the table saw and replacing the bandsaw.

Thanks again for all the help!

Mike

Fence for TS

People on this forum seem to think only Biesmeyer makes after market fences. I agree with your choice of a Vega. The one I have been using for the last 20 years gives me .010 to .015 repeatability between cuts as measured with a good pair of Mitsutoyo dial calipers. And the locking knob thread is the same as the interior thread on a beer faucet handle as a bonus. Mine currently has an ancient Burgermeister handle, which is weighted just right to lock the fence in place with a one handed slap. Adds a little class to the whole thing. If you aren't lugging down your saw on the cuts you normally make, and can hold the accuracy you require, spend the money on wood.

If you choose not to replace the table saw, getting a new fence would be your best place to start. Having a poor table saw fence can be one of the worst things when working with wood. I used one for many years and can't believe what a difference an accurate fence can make.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps