Thread: Refinishing Prices?

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY

Refinishing Prices?

I was wondering how, those of you that refinish furniture estimate prices? I first figure the rough size of the peice(sqft), then look at what finish is on there and how thick the old finish is. From there look at how complex the peice is( more hours needed). Then see what they want on it for a finish. I usally add 25% for extras. What do you get per hour? I know this will be different for everyone. For me, I do this to offset my disabilty check and uaslly take a couple of weeks to finish even simple projects. For some reason the work keeps coming. Currently I am charging $20 a hour I work on the peice. My overhead is low as I do not have much in cost for heat or utlities
    How do you base your prices? Is it close to the same method or do you have a different system? I have been getting lots of work and now raising my prices alot and stilll seem to get more work then I can handle. Buy summer it will be on the books and will have to start getting tax on it all and have more headaches.

I only do refinishing as a part-time pursuit. I have a full-time job that pays the bills and child's tuition.
    First of all, you need to raise your prices. I charge $35/hour for labor. Labor to refinish a piece of furniture is probably over 90% of the work involved in a restoration project, especially if you have to hand-sand lots of molded parts and other nooks and crannies that an electric sander can't reach. Your current price is likely the reason you are in demand for these kind of jobs.
    Since all of my jobs are local, I do not charge a delivery fee...yet.
    I have seen invoices from a professional refinisher in my area, and my costs are much lower than theirs; much lower. Fortunately no one has placed a deadline on completing a project, and I hope to keep it that way.
    I would much rather build a piece of furniture from scratch, but with every one holding tight to their wallet, restorations will have to do for now.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

Hourly Rates

Hourly rates of course depend on how much you can get done in an hour... $35 an hour could be a bargain (possibly) or it could be exorbitant! And of course the quality of the work factors in too. Also there is a value (although somewhat flexible) that a specific job has: regardless of how long it takes to do it. Just because something takes someone a week to do doesn't mean it's worth 40 hours of labor in cost.