Thread: Which L-N block plane to buy?

Which L-N block plane to buy?

I already have the non-adjustable, low angle block plane. After reading Chris Schwarz's workbench book, I'd like to get the adjustable mouth plane. I expect to use it mostly for cleaning up surface grain. Should I get the low-angle version or the regular plane?

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

End grain work would be better handled by a low angle block plane in my humble opinion. The angle would better sever the wood fibers than a standard one.

I have the lee valley low angle block and it does a great job on end grain and pretty much everything else I throw at it. It is my most used and favorite plane.

I would go the LA route.

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Fross; 01-21-2008 at 11:46 AM.

standard angle

If you will mostly be using it for face grain, and you already have a LA plane for endgrain, I would recommend the standard angle plane. I have a standard angle and use it all the time. The higher angle of the plane will allow you to more easily plane "difficult" woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom View Post
    I already have the non-adjustable, low angle block plane. After reading Chris Schwarz's workbench book, I'd like to get the adjustable mouth plane. I expect to use it mostly for cleaning up surface grain. Should I get the low-angle version or the regular plane?

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jack
    If you already have the 102, and you're happy with it. I would go ahead and get the 9 1/2. You can always buy an extra blade and re-bevel it for low angle functions.
    Hmm... Would it work better to rebevel to a steeper angle with a 60 1/2, or a lower angle with a 9 1/2??

If it's surface grain cleanup you're primarily looking for. Have you considered the cabinet scraper, or a 4, or 4 1/2 smoother with a higher pitch?
    So many nice planes to choose from.,.

Surely it's easier to rebevel a steeper angle with a 60 1/2!? Right? Just like all those Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen Bevel-Up Smoothers, Jacks, and Jointers. They are all Low Angle, but encourage secondary bevels to achieve standard or even York pitch as needed.