Thread: Wood Swap..looking for some Live Oak

Wood Swap..looking for some Live Oak

Im interested in doing a wood swap. I'd like to get some Live Oak, for a series of bowls Ive been thinking about.. I need green wood ..crotch pieces would be nice..figured in anyway would be great. Ive got lots of cherry and black walnut. I can load up the truck and meet somewhere within reason..

Thanks,
    Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Here in San Diego County we have what's called California Live Oak. is that what you're talking about? Unfortunately, that's a protected species. We have a club member who has like 47 of them and he was told that while he could trim or even cut one down if it endangered a house/building or whatever, the local law says, leave them alone.
    I have one in my backyard and i've trimed a few branches and was able to make some boxes. The problem I had was that it has a tendency to split easily. Unfortunately the main trunk is starting to split and I may lose it some time this year. i'm just keeping my fingers crossed. It provides a great deal of shade for the house.

Depends what kind of oak you are looking for. I will be taking down a dying white oak soon that is HUGE. There is bound to be some sections in there I would assume.

A call to a tree service would be a good start maybe. I am just getting a lathe but from what I know I have burnt or sold to be burnt a ton of good turning wood back in the day.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

The wood Im looking for is from the Southern Live Oak. State tree of Georgia. Its the stuff they made the USS Constitution out of. Its a very heavy, very hard wood.

Green it turns nicely, has a wonderfull grain pattern. Dry it would be like turning a piece of stone.

Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Tom, I have a few pieces from a very large live oak that was ripped up by the hurricanes of 2004. They are mostly nice grain and large cracks. The dry live oak cuts much like the green in that it is not that hard. The best looking piece I have is an 18 inch cube sitting out in the weather that I use for a cutting block. Most of the pieces stored in the shop to dry have cracked. LOL!

We have lots of live oak around here, but I'm no where near you for trade. Sorry. The walnut sounds great though.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Tom the "Live Oak" you are looking for comes out of the "Deep South". There are other varieties of trees that call themselves live oak but do not have the same qualities that I know you are looking for. I will keep my eyes open and if I find some we can discuss how to ship it. If you get any takers from most of the southern states you should be pretty safe. You want (Quercus Virginiana).
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Tom, my brother in law mentioned that he has some live oak logs that he pushed back into the woods after Katrina. He knew better that to try to split it for firewood! I have not seen it yet, so I don't know the size. It has been in the shade as logs so should be pretty green yet.

I've been meaning to make the investigative trip...I could do it this week end. I would love some cherry and black walnut. What is your preferred and minimum diameter for your project?

A quick map check looks like Chatanooga, TN might be about halfway....about 335 miles as the crow flies for each. I did not look at best route...

I might be tempted to make the trip if you are interested.
    - Arlan

We shape clay to birth a vessel,
    yet it is the hollow within that makes it useful. - Tao te Ching

Let me know what you find out! Im not fussy, have a 16 inch swing but most of what Im planning would be in the 12 inch region.

PM me when you get some info on the tree.

Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Tom,
    Just curious. Have you turned some fresh or still wet oak before? It can be a challenge in several ways.

I'd like to get some bark if it's not to far gone. let me know what kind of shape it's in and if you'd mind saving me some trimmings.

I'll check it all out and let you know.

David, I'm curious. What do you use the bark for?
    - Arlan

We shape clay to birth a vessel,
    yet it is the hollow within that makes it useful. - Tao te Ching