Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Table Scratch Removal.

Cast Iron Table Scratch Removal.

removing scratches from cast iron tables (band saw table).

I was doing a cut on a stacked form for some laminate glue up, and one of the screws wasn't recessed fully and put a decent scratch across my band saw table. I put some 00 steel wool under a vibrating sander to buff out any burrs or such, and then rewaxed the table (as per my rust prevention regiment).

Are there any ways to more fully remove scratches? I know it really won't affect any work I do, and it is barely noticeable to the touch when rubbing a finger over it, but it looks pretty ugly and i like shiny clean tools.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I did the same thing to my PM2000 top a few months ago.

Could live with it but like you, I like my tools shiny so I'll be awaiting a response.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Scratch it on the other side to balance it out a little?

I know it hurts....I've been there and done that. I love to see that perfectly flat pristine cast iron surface as well. But, sometimes we just have to cut the cord and relax. Afterall, it is a tool. I've conditioned myself to think of them as badges of honor that prove I do actually use my tools. If you take too many efforts to remove the scratch (sounds like it is at least a little deep) you may create a low spot on the table. This would likely be an incredibly tiny low spot, but you would then have a low spot to stress about instead of a scratch. Like many things in life, the first one is the worst. Just get cracking on your next project and cover it with some sawdust.

The only way that I know of if to have it reground. That will make it perfect again and won't create low spots. But, if I had all of my surfaces reground every time that I scratched them I doubt that there would be any table left.

What about some 400 sandpaper under a block. Few swipes should do it and you likely won't be able to feel it. You will see it, but you won't fell it and it won't affect the operation. I had a single bead of sweat drop onto the top of my Uni and it sat there for a while before I wiped it off and pitted it a bit - 400 took care of it.

Live with it

Some consider them beauty marks.

At work we use a product called belzona to repair shafts on our paver. It is sort of like epoxy but is very hard and polishes smooth here the link

www.belzona.com

Hope this helps

Count them. You WILL have more, for sure. When you lose count, then grab some 600 grit wet-dry and just scuff most of the worst ones out. Nothing stays new forever.

Side note - Two Beam's??? What are the odds???
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    Anything cutting deep enough to remove a scratch as you describe had better be in a machine shop. Trying to sand or grind that thing out is like sanding out a deep scratch in anything else; the whole surface goes down or it goes uneven. I'll take a "looks-only" blemish over uneven tables any day ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haycraft View Post
    The only way that I know of if to have it reground.
    Bingo! Consider it "patina"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

scratch removal

I'm not saying this is the best answer here...but some 220 and then 400 grit sandpaper in your ros along with wd-40 does a lot of good in my opinion. Just keep the table top well lubricated, with the wd-40 and keep
    the ros moving around a good bit, will make a dirty slurry on the top but will clean off pretty easily when done.

Cast Iron Table Scratch Removal

When overhauling turbine generators, we use a long hone with oil on all flat mating surfaces (bearing housings, casings, ect.). This will not cover up a blemish, but it will hone any raised area on the surface completely flat and make it useable.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    If you take that table to a machine shop to get it machined every time you get a scratch in it,pretty soon there won't be anything left of it.

I like shiny too and try to keep my tools that way but chit happens,at least you're using your tools.

I would use a ROS as others have suggested ,just do it and get on with the sawdust making

Jeff

Surface grinder is about all that will work.

Be thankful you weren't in a hurry and didn't support a quick cut off with a circular saw. You can guess where that is going. Carbide saw blades will cut a cast iron top in case anyone is interested.

A flat block with some 400 will polish it enough so the scratch will just be a reminder and won't cause any problems.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"