Thread: This is why not to use a spindle gouge

This is why not to use a spindle gouge

I am new at turning. I started out with pens and then just want to try other things. I never looked at a book or video I just jumped in with both feet. I had seen one person turn a box and a couple of other smaller things but never pay to much attention to what tools he used. I thought a gouge was a gouge, well I have been finding out there is quit of bit differences between them. The biggest thing that kept getting me was when I would turn a bowel on the outside and get it to where I wanted it and then start on the inside using the only style gouge that I owned at the time a SPINDLE GOUGE I just could not control that thing. It was always wanting to catch and when it did most times it would either pull the bowl right off the lathe or it would take a big chunk right out of the side of the bowl. Well I kept thinking it was me that I just didn't know how to use the tool right. I even went as far as to try different sharpening angles with no help. Then I though that maybe it was the fact that maybe it was the tool quality so I went out and bought a much better Spindle Gouge. That seem to help but it wasn't gone. I kept trying. Once I want to turn the SIL a bowl with a lid on it. They were going to be here for four days plenty of time. I started out with this nice piece of walnut that was about twelve inches tall. When they left she had a dish that wasn't much more then four inches tall. I would get it just starting to look good and then it would catch and take a chunk out of the side. Then not just long ago on this very forum this guy rights in is asking about the very thing that I have been having all this trouble with. What do all you guy write back tell him?? GET RID OF THE SPINDLE GOUGE AND GET A BOWL GOUGE. So the next day that is just what I did I went and bought myself a bowl gouge. Now I can not believe there could be that much difference but there sure is. These forums are one of the best places to get answers to questions and fast to. I want to thank you all for your help to me and I didn't even ask the question. Hopefully I will get to add some pictures and these are of a piece of old red cedar that I did turn with a spindle gouge on the outside but I use a home made end cutting tool to do the inside. The lid I tried to all of it with a spindle gouge and as you can see I use a lot of CA to put back together and never did find all of if. Grandpa Wen

Ceadar Bowel 001.jpg

Ceadar Bowel 002.jpg

Ceadar Bowel 003.jpg

Ceadar Bowel 004.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-22-2008 at 4:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wendell lessons like this will stick with you for some time. The right tools for the job makes a big difference, keeping them sharp also helps. Except for the cracks this looks like a nice piece. Keep on practicing things will go better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Marsh View Post
    AND GET A BOWEL GOUGE.
    A bowel gouge? Ouch - that sound painful!

(just kidding - I know what you meant - couldn't resist )
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Glad you were able to learn that particular lesson without having the spindle gouge break and cause injury!

I like your lidded box design! Hope to be able to see a completed one sometime soon! Have fun with it - be safe!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You are so right. We can learn a lot from each other. No question is a dumb question - unless you don't ask. There is no telling who will benefit from the answers.

Get a copy of Keith Rowley's book, Woodturning, A Foundation Course. It's well worth the money, and he makes the fundamentals very clear. I learned a great deal from him and don't regret buying the book one bit.

Welcome to the vortex!

Yikes! I learned the lesson "use the correct tools for your work" from the incident concerning rouging out a bowl with a roughing gouge. Catch. Snap! Ouch. Awww, I bent my roughing gouge in half.

I agree that a bowel gouge sounds painful... ouch!

Blog Entries
    I still don't know what tool is the correct tool. I guess I'm just lucky.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Find a local club, and you will learn a lot faster, and safer.

Glad you weren't hurt. Your design and bowl looks great. I had a friend of mine that just go a lathe and did the same thing. Only his spindle gouge broke and he had several stiches in hand from it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Talking

That is a nice looking bowl.

Just the way you planed to make that sugar bowl.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    You are so right. We can learn a lot from each other. No question is a dumb question - unless you don't ask. There is no telling who will benefit from the answers.

Get a copy of Keith Rowley's book, Woodturning, A Foundation Course. It's well worth the money, and he makes the fundamentals very clear. I learned a great deal from him and don't regret buying the book one bit.

Welcome to the vortex!
    I did as Jim did. Keith also has a companion video to the book. He's pretty dry in the video but the instructions are good. Bill Grumbine has a few DVD's on bowl turning (do a google search. He sells them directly, as well as in some stores) that are not only technically excellent but his teaching style is captivating and entertaining. His choice of background music is also interesting :-)

Clem

Quote Originally Posted by Clem Wixted View Post
    I did as Jim did. Keith also has a companion video to the book. He's pretty dry in the video but the instructions are good. Bill Grumbine has a few DVD's on bowl turning (do a google search. He sells them directly, as well as in some stores) that are not only technically excellent but his teaching style is captivating and entertaining. His choice of background music is also interesting :-)

Clem
    Yes and Clem I love it when he says, "would you like to see that again, well that is what the rewind button is for."
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Yes and Clem I love it when he says, "would you like to see that again, well that is what the rewind button is for."
    Right Bernie,

Bill is right on top of technology and technical terms :-) And he even has commented on that remark on one of the forums he has posted on!

The world needs more people like Bill.

Clem