Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not much enthusiasm

Not much enthusiasm

I find that I just don't have a big drive to spend time in the shop lately. I don't have any projects I need to make, none I really want to make, and I just don't feel like buying wood and making things I don't really want or need. I don't even want to buy new tools!

Have you gone through this? I still have pride in the things I have made (although I see all the flaws), but I just don't have a lot of desire to get out into the shop.

I am very busy with other things, and that may have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
    I find that I just don't have a big drive to spend time in the shop lately. I don't have any projects I need to make, none I really want to make, and I just don't feel like buying wood and making things I don't really want or need. I don't even want to buy new tools!

Have you gone through this? I still have pride in the things I have made (although I see all the flaws), but I just don't have a lot of desire to get out into the shop.

I am very busy with other things, and that may have something to do with it.
    Sucks to be you! Just kidding!

Sometimes one just needs a break. Hang in there, it will pass. If not, let me know what tools deal you will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gill View Post
    I'm in the same boat Dan, I just got tired of being treated poorly by the genaral public, friends and a relative, all expecting too much, thinking this is just a hobby and don't think my time and equipment is worth much. I have been a woodworker for along time, and I'm about wore out.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-22-2008 at 5:53 PM.

You guys need light therapy or something. Could be just the winter drolls???/
    Gary

I can understand that. Sometimes I get busy with other hobbies, like motorcycles and cars and even gardening, but you will always come back to woodworking if you love it.

I think that we have all experienced the same thing at one time or the other. Back in the mid 80's when the oilfield was at rock bottom I started trying to do pick up a few WWing jobs just to help ends meet it lost all appeal then and I completely stopped for almost 10 years. I think it was a combination of trying to meet deadlines and being a young parent trying to spend time with my family, it seemed as if I was working all the time and I finally figured out that my kids were only going to be kids once and I KNEW what my priorities should be so my hobby became spending as much time with my kids as possible, a decision I will never regret.

After my oldest graduated HS and my youngest began, I started helping my dad on a few projects and re-discovered how much I loved working with wood, I've been at it pretty consistently for the last 12 years or so, I even have done a few cabinet jobs and custom pieces to help pay for this god awful expensive hobby. Still to this day however there are times I go out to the shop look around and say NOT TODAY, so I just lock it all back up and go inside and spend time with the LOML...........I love my kids but it is NICE to have an empty nest .
    David

Ya know, my first thought was like Gary's - when it's cold and gray outside, I'm not much for wanting to do anything. Would rather hibernate, but when it's sunny, warm, yep, I can work in the shop until way late at night and just turn up the music and enjoy it. So sure, give it some time perhaps. And maybe the sun'll come out and you'll enjoy shop time again. Best wishes regardless! Jude

There will always be times when other things in life will intrude upon the desire to do things like woodworking. Taking a break is a natural thing since pushing yourself into something you can't focus on is both "not fun" and potentially dangerous.

Do note that yesterday was "officially" Blue Monday...the day when a lot of folks reach "bottom" on the winter doldrums! Of course, tonight is a full moon...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There will always be times when other things in life will intrude upon the desire to do things like woodworking. Taking a break is a natural thing since pushing yourself into something you can't focus on is both "not fun" and potentially dangerous.
    Yep, exactly what I did yesterday when I screwed up my table top.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    You guys need light therapy or something. Could be just the winter drolls???/
    Gary
    Yeah right, it's just me, it has nothing to do with what I just said. Thanks, I feel so much better, NOT !

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    Yeah right, it's just me, it has nothing to do with what I just said. Thanks, I feel so much better, NOT !
    Well, Chuck, I was primarily responding to Dan - and meant it as encouragement to both of you guys. If you feel friends and relatives, the general public are "taking advantage" of you, then set your limits and refuse to do things for them. If it's a hobby, it should be enjoyable. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. Take care, Jude

Dan, If I may talk to you as I would my children, (I have children older than you) I would suggest that you have much on your plate and the desire to work wood will come when there is a project to be completed. Your profile shows varied interests and responsibilities, so perhaps woodworking needn't be a priority, but merely something to do when the spirit urges.

Many members rely on woodworking for their livelihood, so don't compare yourself, and certainly not your production with theirs. For those of us for whom this is a hobby, there need be no particular goals and certainly no deadlines.

Now all I need to do is get out into the shop and finish a desk that I started months ago and haven't touched for several weeks. In my case, I think it's the winter blahs that drains ambition. In any event, I don't think either of us needs any psychiatric evaluation.

Roy

Chuck, I go through times like that also.

In addition my woodworking competes with vintage motorcycles, gardening, and time spent volunteering at a non profit organization.

I'm back in an upswing on woodworking, just completed a base cabinet for the shop out of BB plywood with walnut banding on the doors and drawer front.

Now on to a coffee table for the living room, before other interests take me away.

P.S. I rarely make anything for anyone else now, 30 years of being amazed at how other people think custom furniture should be free since they're freinds/familly has soured me on making things for other people.

The exception is children, I make some toys for charity at Christmas, and the neighborhood kids know they're always welcome with their "Project du Jour".

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude Kingery View Post
    Well, Chuck, I was primarily responding to Dan - and meant it as encouragement to both of you guys. If you feel friends and relatives, the general public are "taking advantage" of you, then set your limits and refuse to do things for them. If it's a hobby, it should be enjoyable. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. Take care, Jude
    And I was responding to Gary, but while we are at it, it gets cold in Texas ? Comeon up to North Dakota about now, then you'll know or be reminded of what cold really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Chuck, I go through times like that also.

In addition my woodworking competes with vintage motorcycles, gardening, and time spent volunteering at a non profit organization.

I'm back in an upswing on woodworking, just completed a base cabinet for the shop out of BB plywood with walnut banding on the doors and drawer front.

Now on to a coffee table for the living room, before other interests take me away.

P.S. I rarely make anything for anyone else now, 30 years of being amazed at how other people think custom furniture should be free since they're freinds/familly has soured me on making things for other people.

The exception is children, I make some toys for charity at Christmas, and the neighborhood kids know they're always welcome with their "Project du Jour".

Regards, Rod.
    Ahhhhhh, someone finally gets it, or admits to it. I don't know anyone that likes working in a dangerous enviroment, unhealthy also, and being treated poorly by anyone for a income a homeless person couldn't survive on. It's hard for me to justify spending much more money on tools with such a dismall future. Your right Rod, I'm going back to just makeing things for myself, and maybe a gift occasionally that I WANT TO DO.