Thread: 'nother Toothpick Holder

'nother Toothpick Holder

I can't be first, but I can be next . Here is my version of the Wood magazine toothpick holder. It's fun to do and I'll probably do more... going to glue up some laminations for them (primarily because I don't have anything that would start at 3" in diameter that is dry!). I will pay more attention to the "cup" part of the next ones I do. IMHO, the cup needs to be a bit more than 1/4" deep... and it needs to fit a little better (mine has enough room for errant toothpicks that fall out of the too shallow cup to stick between the cup and wall). Unfortunately, I do not know what the wood for the body is... I got it on a trip to Phoenix at a place that imports wood... It's light and rather porous. The cup is Burr Oak and finial is Blue Mahoe. The oak is from a little piece I had left of some that a friend at work brought from a cabin near Springfield Missouri. The owners of the property have documentation that shows the cabin existed in 1875... unfortunately it was mostly ruins so the owner had the logs milled to 5/8" planks and lined his wine cellar with them. I made them a pen, magnifier and letter opener desk set and some wine stoppers with some of it too.

I also threw in a picture of the hair picks I made for LOML... Sycamore and Wenge. There is a Tulipwood and Purpleheart set hiding somewhere (i.e. she didn't want to go upstairs and get them )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, that is nice. My guess on the wood in the body would be zebrawood. look forward to seeing the future ones.
    Ben

I like them! The idea is so neat, and your form also is very good.

Ben... and Ben ... thank you for the comments... Ben D., good guess on the wood, but I know it's not zebra wood... It was something that started with a P... and it doesn't have that "pleasant" <sarcasm) odor of zebra wood. It is very similar to zebra wood in working and density.

Bill that is a beauty. Aren't those things fun today. Fit and finish look great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.