Thread: Coffee Table Top Update

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coffee Table Top Update

Hey all,

Well I just wanted to thank Todd Bin on here for suggesting to go to the cabinet shop and have it drum sanded. The guy worked with me a while gave me some pointers, and only charged me 20 bucks. The table top is now perfect and dead flat, (hopefully it stays that way). He said b/c it was solid wood, I might have problems with movement and suggested some walnut veneered ply for future tops. Most importantly though, while I was explaining to him what happened, I said, "I worked on the inlay for hours and I still have a small gap here and there, it really sucks, I know", and he told me that it was fine, in fact he said that if he did the same thing for someone he would charge them a fortune and that it was the same "quality" wise that the pros in his shop turn out. I was taken back, it dawned on me that if a professional custom shop owner/craftsman said that, then it might be true. So moral of this story, I have got to ease up off my own ass and enjoy the quality of work I do, and stop beating myself up. Anyway just wanted to post another pic of the now "fixed" top thanks to the owner of Balz Custom Woodworking here in Louisville. I can't wait to see the unique grain pattern in the walnut when finished, and the leaf is made of curly maple, should be a nice contrast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Scott; 01-22-2008 at 5:43 PM.