Thread: Jointer dilemma

Jointer dilemma

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping you guys can straighten me out on. I keep going back and forth on this. Here's my situation:

I am new to woodworking and seem to be delving deeper and deeper each month. So far I have been concentrating on outdoor furniture and shop furniture. Eventually I will want to get into the finer stuff. Initially I was working with all hand/portable power tools and packing everything away when not using them, but things have changed recently and I decided to take over about 2/3's of my 21'x21' garage.

I have a full EZ Smart setup with circular saw. I have all the other hand tools you might want including router, router table, and EZ router attachment. I recently purchased the Ridgid belt/spindle sander and yesterday I picked up the Steel City drill press. I plan to complete my major purchases with 3 more items - a Grizzly 17" bandsaw, and a planer and jointer. I am skipping the table saw.

My issue is with the planer and jointer. I am down to 2 options:
    1. Get the Jet combo machine which runs ~$1700.
    2. Get a lunchbox planer like the Ridgid R4330 or Dewalt 734, and get a cheaper, smaller jointer.

The reason for my dilema is due to dust collection, space, power, and money.

For power, I only have a 30 amp sub panel in the garage. I think it will be enough, but I would be cutting it close with the 3HP Jet machine along with a 1.5HP dust collector, which I would need with such a large machine.

I really want to skip the large dust collector and just use my Ridgid 1850 with a mini cyclone attachment. I think if I stick to option 2, with only a 6" jointer, it should be just enough. Most of the year I can work with the garage doors open and fans going.

I also think that the big combo machine is overkill for me right now. My other problem is I think I might outgrow a 6" jointer; 8" would be much better but once I move up to that size I am concerned about dust collection again, and the money and space used doesn't make sense since I would be able to get the combo for just a few hundred more.

I'd love to stick with option 2 for now, but am concerned that getting a 6" jointer is just asking for a replacement in 6 months to a year.

Someone save me from this great dilemma .

I have a MM FS30 AND a Delta lunchbox 22-580. I can't stand the noise of the lunch box, but for small items, it is wonderful!

I like the big combo, but cranking the planer table up and down to make a few dimmensional cuts is frustrating. When I am doing alot of jointing followed by dimensioning planing, the fs30 can't be beat.

But if you want to knock off a 1/32 quickly the Delta is pretty nice.

The lunch box even gives a better finish..

With all that said, if I had to choose, it would definitely be the FS30 combo. Lots of power.

Sounds like you want to go with a 6 inch jointer and a lunch box. go for it. You can always upgrade.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I would up-grade the sub panel to have two circuits for the combo, and the dust collector, since a shop in a garage doesn't have a lot of space.

Thanks, you're right I do want to go in that direction. Hopefully 6" will be enough, I hate to waste several hundred dollars only to end up buying the large machine anyway. If I go this route, I may consider a benchtop unit so as to mitigate that issue.

I do have seperate 20 amp 220v circuits in case I do get a collector in addition to another machine. However, the max they will be able to do simultaneously will be 30 amps.

Peter, 30 amps to the shop will be MORE than adequate for an 8" jointer with a 2hp motor and a dust collector with a 1.5hp motor. It's probably fine for much more, but those ratings i KNOW for a FACT will work perfectly fine because it's what I've been using for the last two years without a single breaker popping.

I do perfectly fine as far as consumed amperage at full boar: wide open DC with 6" duct, face jointing an 8" wide board, with all the lights on, stereo blasting, and an oil filled radiator that probably pulls 10amps (at 110) all by itself. I wouldn't be too worried about your amperage issues. You can do quite alot with 30 amps. A 5hp unisaw runs on less than that

EDIT: Oh, and remember - You only cry once when you buy the big stuff.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I got the Dewalt DW 735 on ebay couple weeks ago for $325 plus $50 shipping. Brand new in box. I love it!! I read the article in FWW and they are right on the money with this machine.

I would base this on cash, but keep the option to upgrade painlessly open. Here's what I mean:
    1. Amperage--you could add a subpanel without much trouble, see my signature below. However, you can certainly run a 1.5hp dust collector that can be swapped to 230v at very low amperage. The plate says 7.5, but mine pulls less most times. I have the delta 1.5 hmm, forgot model #, but it won the FWW DC review.
    2. Look on CL etc. for a decent used lunchbox OR bigger planer, and 6" OR bigger jointer. Get WHICHEVER ONE shows up first that is a good deal! Just be sure you buy only ones that will resell well, if it isn't your end-game item. For instance, I would be looking for a 6" or 8" delta, powermatic, General, or new Grizzly, at a good price. All of those brands will resell on CL for the same as you paid for them, if you get any reasonable deal. Rigid makes nice items, however I have not seen them move as well on CL due to stiff competition from HD with brand new when sales occur. For a lunchbox planer, I would look for a DW735 (high resale value due to top ratings in all competitions) or the Rigid 13", which many folks on SMC speak highly of.
    3. Don't limit yourself to "lunchbox planer and 6" jointer"-- you might very well find a DJ20 Delta 8" or a Griz. The dust generated by both the smaller items is virtually the same as that generated by the larger, and is a non-decider.
    4. Lastly, you might consider not getting a jointer at first, depending on what you do. If you will be edge jointing only, you can do that decently with an edgeguide/circular saw, or router table, etc. This is not my choice, but if I knew I really wanted an 8" and just hadn't found the right deal yet, I might try working around until it showed up.

I have a DW 735 planer that I really like, and a DJ20 8" jointer; both are my first purchases--before that, I dimensioned my boards on the TS or router table, or at a woodshop I had access to on military base.

My real answer, not one of your choices, would be:
    G0490 Griz 8" jointer (DJ20 copy, but apparently done better) $795
    DW735
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Thanks guys for all the advice. I will keep it all in mind.

I have seriously thought about the choices you mention Dave. The problem with it is coimbined they are ~1300. For $400 more I could have the combo machine which includes a 12" jointer and takes up less space since it is only 1 machine. I also like the Euro style guard.

However, $400 is $400 that I could spend elsewhere, and maybe 12" is unnecessary. I will keep an eye on craigslist also; I have about 2-3 months to make this decision I think, so maybe something will come up.

I know what all the enthusiasts say about the EZ Smart saw guide. But, I predict that if you stay in this hobby, you are going to want a tablesaw. There are a lot of situations where even an excellent circular saw guide is a poor substitute. Therefore, I would recommend you make provisions for one.

If you have the space, I think you would be happier with a seperate jointer and planer. There are just too many situations where I want to use one and then the other in repeated succession. I would not want to convert back and forth that frequently, even if it only takes a minute or two.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-23-2008 at 8:55 AM.

The Jet JJP-12 combo unit is rated at 12.5 amps so you really would not be cutting it close at all.

I have the JJP-12 and an older Delta lunchbox planer. The lunchbox planer no longer gets used.

A 12" planer on a floor tool is not exactly exciting but a 12" jointer is really nice. It turns out to be a pretty good combination.

I am very happy with mine.

-Roger

I consider the jointer length to be far more important than its width, and were I doing it over again, would opt for the 6" Powermatic with its nice long bed (I have a medium-length Jet 8" with which I'm very happy). You really want an outfeed table that is at least half of the length of the longer boards you expect to joint. The combo machines appear to have relatively short beds.

Few woodworkers need to flatten boards greater than 6" wide, but you might be an exception.

If you have the floor space, I agree with those that recommend a separate jointer and planer if you have the floor space, but the combo machines are very nice for limited space.

It's a good point about the benefits of two seperate machines, I hadn't thought of that. I'm not concerned about wanting a table saw, I just can't see the need, and there are plenty of people without the EZ guide system that have bandsaw centric shops. I'm sure it would speed a lot of operations up, but I'm not doing production work; it's all just for enjoyment.

I think I'm going to start seriously comparing the Dewalt 735 and Rigid R4330, and also begin looking at long bed 6" and 8" jointers. The reason I am stuck on the 8" right now is that one of my first interior projects will likely be a new kitchen table, and if I end up enjoying making tables, being able to flatten large boards is a good thing. Although I suppose I can use a sled for those once in a while instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    It's a good point about the benefits of two seperate machines, I hadn't thought of that. I'm not concerned about wanting a table saw, I just can't see the need, and there are plenty of people without the EZ guide system that have bandsaw centric shops. I'm sure it would speed a lot of operations up, but I'm not doing production work; it's all just for enjoyment.

I think I'm going to start seriously comparing the Dewalt 735 and Rigid R4330, and also begin looking at long bed 6" and 8" jointers. The reason I am stuck on the 8" right now is that one of my first interior projects will likely be a new kitchen table, and if I end up enjoying making tables, being able to flatten large boards is a good thing. Although I suppose I can use a sled for those once in a while instances.

Peter - I have a 6" jointer and I would definately go with an 8". No questions asked... All too often I have wood that is 7" or 8" wide or more. I end up wasting too much. I do alot of tables and raised panels so a wider board for me is better.

my 2 cents...

One really good thing for us hobby woodworkers is that there are a lot of so called "lunchbox" planer options out there and my observation has been that nearly all of them do a good job. I happen to have the Ridgid model that just went out of production but I would be happy to own a Delta or Dewalt or Makita. I remember a time when I started woodworking that the price of admission into the world of thickness planing was about a month's pay.