Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Bosch Colt router

Question about Bosch Colt router

Hello,
    I’m considering buying a Bosch Colt router, and I know that a lot of you think pretty highly of it. My question is this. Other than using it as a laminate trimmer (and I will never need to do any laminate trimming), what is it really useful for? As an example, I’m considering installing some new interior doors in my home, and I will want to use a router to mortise for the hinges (using a hinge template). Would the Bosch Colt router be a good tool for mortising for hinges, or would a standard size router be better? I know that a standard size router is more versatile than something like a Bosch Colt, but I’m really trying to decide whether a Colt is useful for things other than trimming laminate. If it’s a versatile tool, I’ll get one, but if it’s really limited and if it’s not superior to a standard router for hinge mortising, I’ll pass it up.
    Thanks,
    Louis

I have been using the Colt for exactly that (hinge mortises) and other work where either one-handed control or less weight in two hands is an advantage. I bought a factory refurb ('nother story there some other time) for about $80. It was a good purchase.

I want one for hand routing smaller items. Larger routers are too tipsy.

Control....is what I am looking for.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I've not had mine for a long time but have used it for hinge mortising and edge roundovers. I love it for the roundovers; it is much easier for me to handle.

I recently bought a new Colt and now it is my go to router for most everything. The only downside of the unit for me is the 1/4 inch collet. Most of my router bits are 1/2 inch shank. The ability to control the Colt with one hand is a definite plus.

A small roundover bit pretty much lives in mine.

It is used for rounding over the tops of baltic birch drawers for one.

Basically anything a regular router is to big or heavy for the Colt works well.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I use a trim router for most routing tasks that use a small diameter bit. Be aware that any trim router, including the Bosch Colt, will use only 1/4" shank bits.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Since they're pretty inexpensive, I use 3 of them and usually have them dedicated to different size round over bits. It's then real convenient to grab one and do a quickie roundover without messing with setup and trial and error. Works for me.

Blog Entries
    I have never used it for a laminate trimmer. Small, powerful, easy to control. Hinge mortises? You bet. Inlay, odd freehand routing, quick round overs or chamfers on already assembled pieces, yeah buddy. Dados, dado clean out, pattern routing, edge straightening on large panel with a clamped on guide, oh yeah. I think the person who says they are sorry they bought one or that it sits in a drawer would be a real exception. For about $30, Pat Warner makes a beautiful round base for them if you prefer that to the straight edge base. He also makes an offset.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hello,
    Thanks for the quick replies. You've all convinced me that the Bosch Colt is just what I need.
    Thanks again,
    Louis

I haven't used mine but twice in the last week, and both times, the router lost its height setting, and in the wrong direction. I think that the lock is a little too loose, in hindsight, and I hope that tightening it some more will help keep it where I set it. I like the router for its size, but if it keeps doing this, then I will not keep it.

I realize this may sound like bashing, especially from a new member. I don't mean it to be. I have several other routers (3-PC, 1-Dewalt, 1-full size Bosch, and a cheap B & D with a rack and pinion adjustment and cam lock) I use the PC's the most, but the cheap B & D is used a lot too, and it only takes 1/4" shank bits. It is around 20 years old now, and I wouldn't trade it for much of anything. I also like my full size Bosch, but I just don't use it very often.

If anyone knows what else might need to be adjusted on the Colt, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

I have had one for a week and I am very pleased with it. It has plenty of power to handle roundovers, and can run some larger profiles such as a chamfer very easily in two passes. For the most part I only buy 1/4" bits to use in laminite trimmres, and 1/2" shank bits for my full sized routers.

Gets used mostly for roundovers, and hinge mortiseing with a 1/16" strait bit.

Only drawback is it does not take 1-3/16" guide bushings, but bosch does make an adapter baseplate, as well of at least one third party source. I am planning on making my own by modifying another baseplate I have to fit it.

I agree with everything said above but what Colin said.
    I use it I think more then my bigger router, it is just the right size for hand operation.

Colin, I had somewhat the same problem when I first got mine, I think you just need to tighten up the lever a little and that should take care of it. Also make sure you lock the base to the motor, that is one thing I was not always doing, just turn it to the locked position (arrow pointing to the locked lock) and it holds very well.

I bought two...one for each hand so I mess things up twice as fast!

Seriously, a sweet little router easily controlled by one hand.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

In response, I stopped at Home Depot on the way home today, to check on the store display. Playing with it, I realize that I may not have had the router properly seated in the lock position. I am going to check mine out in just a minute, so I will let you know the outcome.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.