Thread: Table saw cabinet

Table saw cabinet

I'm thinking to mount my contractor table saw on a cabinet for better storage, dust control and mobility.

A recent issue of Family Handyman had the idea of using stock kitchen cabinets to make a workbench.

So I'm wondering if a stock refrigerator cabinet would be sturdy enough to support the weight of a contractor saw. I'd build a mobile base for the bottom.

Am I an idiot for considering this?

shawn

imho a saw station would be a better idea. for the cost of 1 or 2 sheets of plywood and some casters you can build a custom station for your particular needs and wants. i built one for my ridgid ts3650 with a router cabinet built into the right side so i could use my fence for both. it also provided better stiffness, dust collection, and gave me a larger surface area for cutting, and assembly.

rb

Maybe I'm slow, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "stock refrigerator cabinet". I however, would agree with the above poster. Build a custom cabinet to mount the saw on. I did it with the old CMan saw I used have and it worked great. You could build storage and who knows what else into it. One of my concerns with stock kitchen cabinets is I would think they would be too high to mount a saw on permanently and work on comfortably.

Blog Entries
    Volume-made kitchen cabinets are not the strongest of items. They are built for a purpose and often rely on how they are mounted and what they are mounted next to for their strength. I would just knock out your own. The experience is good for you and "its just a shop cabinet" so you don't have to go nuts in the perfection department if you don't want to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Awright. I'magonna knock one out.
    By refrigerator cab, I meant the kitchen cabs that go over the refrig, that are 18-24" tall.

Thanks.
    shawn

Shawn, check out this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=table+station. This is what I did with my ts and it has worked out well. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shawn
    Norm Abram made a table saw station. It might be something you want to check out. He has that it is on saw horses but other peoples pics show it on rolling cabinets.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?9908

Contractor saw with home made stand

Nice table saw stand! Do you think that you can do the quality of work with a contractor's saw and home made table that you could with a Hybrid saw? What kind of saw do you have in your table?

Thanks, All.

Russell - I'm thinking to make the same tscab from the Wood article. It's a little unclear to me, though, how the front top and bottom rails attach to the side assemblies.

Are they just rabbeted and glued into the side assemblies?

Do you have any exploded pix of your construction?

BTW, your cabinet is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Parslow View Post
    Nice table saw stand! Do you think that you can do the quality of work with a contractor's saw and home made table that you could with a Hybrid saw? What kind of saw do you have in your table?
    Dude, ya just don't get it do ya ? Hybrid table saws are the best table saws in the world, nothing beats them. All the cabinet shops across the country are geting rid of their cabinet tables saws to buy Hybrids. They are truely incredible machines. I predict they will dominate the table saw market for atleast the next 1000 years. If you can find one, buy it right away, the national inventory on these saws are depleteing at record rates, you may have to wait for one if you don't get one NOW ! I think Harbor Frieght has the best one, they are the leader in Hybrid saw technology.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-25-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Contractor Saw base cabinet

Check out this:
    Here are the pics. I could not find the write up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1055

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1056

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1054