Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a fair price for this BS?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hain View Post
    Jason, I just had this very same experience.

Jet 14" closed stand, 40th anniversary edition
    Came with 3 blades at 103", 3 blades for 93.5"
    6" riser
    new tensioner (2007)
    Kreg precision fence
    Cold blocks
    Extra Tire

It was in great shape; cut beautifully. He even helped load it in my truck.

I paid $400 from a Craigslist seller.
    Dang John, that was a great price for all that, all this one has is the riser, it doesn't come with any fence or even a blade, and he also doesn't have the manual...You know the more I think about it, the more I think I shouldn't be roped into this one...

Jason

$500.00 is too much. I have that same saw with a Riser kit, Cobra coil, and Carter guides on it. Oh yeah, also blades, fence and manual. If I thought I could get 5 bills for it. I'd be really tempted to sell it.
    Jason's deal is closer to fair, to both parties, in my opinion.

He can say it's worth anything he wants, but that doesn't make it so. The link belts and cool blocks add no value in my opinion. No blade says almost certainly something is wrong. Could be easily fixable and he doesn't know it, could be he dropped it and bent the top shaft.

I wouldn't spend any more time on this one. One of the most important aspects of buying used machines is knowing when to walk away.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 01-24-2008 at 10:05 PM.

I wouldn't think about buying that thing unless you see it running well and tracking straight.

Who has a bandsaw without a blade? Not even one blade? Who thinks of selling said bandsaw without a demonstration?

I wouldn't offer him anything unless you see it cut wood.

Purchased 18" Jet BS w/ 10" resaw for $500

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a used Jet 18" BS in good shape for $500, and he included 3 blades, off of Craigslist. It needed a little TLC on the top, but was in great shape otherwise.
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Scott View Post
    well I guess it is as I thought, not a great deal, just a fair price for a good saw, I have been looking for so long in my area and nothing, then this one comes and he wants a fortune, I don't know what to do...
    Take a breath. He may be asking a fair price but its not a great-can't-pas-it-up price. As someone else pointed out you're just shy of a new saw with warranty and great customer support if there are any issues.

At $500 your not far away from a larger saw without the need for the riser and the possible issues that come with it. I understand your anxiety from looking for a good used saw for a long time and coming up dry. That is not a good reason to pay top dollar for a good used saw when you are that close to the price of new. Just my .02.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Definitely sounds high to me...

I don't know how this saw compares, but my local dealer has a Shop Fox w1706 (closed stand 1hp w/ cast iron wheels) for $499 (asking).

Is a Jet 14" really that much more saw?

Chaser

if your in a populated area of Ky maybe a Creeker near by with a 103 inch blade would loan it to you for testing?

With a riser kit, he may very well have had tracking problems. An older Delta might be USA made. They were up until about 8 or 10 years ago when I bought mine. Delta has a better lower guide setup that the jet. the guides are closer to the table.

That said, I try not to pay more that 40% of new for used tools and my shop is full of used tools. If you are going to get near the price of new, get new. Warranties are nice to have.

Unless you have a need of the riser kit, it adds no value and only makes the blades more expensive.

Pass it up.

CPeter

How old is the saw? If it is the deluxe model it will have the 1 1/4 HP Motor and if relatively new the Tension reducer rod and 4" DC opening.
    If you can get it for $450 you are doing fine in my opinion. Those are very good Saws and will do just about anything a 14" can. Just inspect it carefully looking tells a lot about care given to a machine.
    Robert

Just for fun, I looked across the river on craigslist. In Cincy there is a steel framed 16" for 600. Although a riser is out of the question, it's a good looking machine. You might be able to strike a deal for the drive.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Scott View Post
    You know the more I think about it, the more I think I shouldn't be roped into this one...
    Jason I think your gut is telling you correctly what to do. As others have said, it is odd he does not even have a used dull blade that could be thrown on there to find potential problems. Sometimes you want/need something so bad your better judgement gets clouded, especially for a large item as this, shipping etc. Some people have the mentality well, I paid $700 new for this and that is what I want. Wanting and getting is two different things. This could very well be a good saw abiet a bit on the high side IMHO, even in good shape.
    Jim