Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a fair price for this BS?

What is a fair price for this BS?

Hey all, I am in the process of trying to buy a bandsaw from a guy and here is the details:

Jet 14" closed stand deluxe model
    -Link-belt
    -Graphite cold blocks
    -6” riser kit

Doesn't come with a blade, and it is in excellent condition. What would be a fair/good/gloat price?

Thanks,

Jason

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I can't help you with a value but I would not buy it without running it with a blade mounted.
    It just seems odd that he wouldn't have a blade.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, yeah I agree, I will pick up a blade and have it run before loading it up, that is if I can decide on a price, thanks,

I'm with bruce ...

and it seems odd to me that you should buy a blade for a possible sale. Tell the guy to pick up a blade and you'll consider it. If he doesn't want to buy a blade, tell him you'll give him $100 if it isn't cracked and the bearings don't make any noise. He's setting himself up for a lower price by not having a blade on it.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Fair price

You might want to use this as a rough rule of thumb: good to excellent condition - 2/3 retail; average condition - 1/2 of retail. Right now, with the economy and all, it seems that the tools I see on eBay are selling at slightly depressed prices from the guideline above. Hope you get what you want, gloat price or otherwise!
    Kurt Bird

Well he is not going to take 100 for it lol, I have got him down to 500, but he doesn't want to budge from there...I figured with all the extras it would be a good deal at 400 and a fair deal at 450, maybe I'm wrong?

Jason

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    $500 might not be a bad deal if it's in VG condition. I sold my old Rockwell for $450 with a lot of the same options including a custom table, along with the original CI table.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9488
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I sold mine about 3 yrs ago for either $450 or $475. Same saw plus Carter guides, Mark Duginski (now Kreg) fence, mobile base, and 4-5 blades - no link belt though.
    Use the fence Luke

Managed to find my old ad though I didnt sell through here
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25506
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Scott View Post
    Well he is not going to take 100 for it lol, I have got him down to 500, but he doesn't want to budge from there...I figured with all the extras it would be a good deal at 400 and a fair deal at 450, maybe I'm wrong?

Jason

I'd walk away. Cool blocks and the link belt are maintenance pieces. The only add-on is the riser, and you have a used saw. I bought mine used for 200 w/o a riser. You should do much better, some of what you are pricing is just the name.

Best of luck, Jim

well I guess it is as I thought, not a great deal, just a fair price for a good saw, I have been looking for so long in my area and nothing, then this one comes and he wants a fortune, I don't know what to do...

Tell him to knock off $150 and walk away. Make sure he has your number for when he is forced to lower the price
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Jason, I just had this very same experience.

Jet 14" closed stand, 40th anniversary edition
    Came with 3 blades at 103", 3 blades for 93.5"
    6" riser
    new tensioner (2007)
    Kreg precision fence
    Cold blocks
    Extra Tire

It was in great shape; cut beautifully. He even helped load it in my truck.

I paid $400 from a Craigslist seller.

I already did lol, he started at 550, he said it is worth 770????????? I mean I went and saw it, and it is in super nice condition, but without a blade that cost me 25 right off the bat...I started at 350, he went to 500, then I went to 400, no, then 425, no, then today I offered 450 and haven't heard anything yet...I feel like I am overpaying for it, but I have not seen another one within 100 miles forever...what to do, what to do, I really wanted an older closed stand Delta, but I can't find one, so I thought Jet was a good alternative, really I would like a powermatic but they are sooooooo much, and I hardly ever find one used...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thiel View Post
    I'd walk away. Cool blocks and the link belt are maintenance pieces. The only add-on is the riser, and you have a used saw. I bought mine used for 200 w/o a riser. You should do much better, some of what you are pricing is just the name.

Best of luck, Jim
    Jim has a good point. It almost sounds like he had issues with the saw. Ie blade wouldn't track or something along those lines. He probably tried everything he could to get it working.

450 is $30 short of a new Grizzly with riser and ball bearing guides.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey