Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which of these roller stands should I buy?

Which of these roller stands should I buy?

I am considering the purchase of a roller stand that I can use as an outfeed support for my table saw, planer and bandsaw. I have narrowed the search to the two stands below, but would like to get some feedback from those here. My gut tells me that the pedestal base of the Shop Fox stand might be a bit more tip-resistant than the Rockler stand. However, the Rockler stand has ball-rollers rather than traditional rollers. I would think the ball rollers, having a multi-directional rotation, would be advantageous.

Okay, this is not a SawStop vs. PM2000 caliber decision. I am not spending thousands of dollars, but I'd rather not make a purchase I will regret later.

Which one would you buy?

Shop Fox - $70

vs.

Rockler - $100

Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Glen, I would go with the Rockler. I have a Lee Valley of similar design to the Rockler, and it is impossible to tip it over! Good luck!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

I have one similar to the Shop Fox design, the nice point about that design is there is less space between the rollers, so light/flimsy stock won't get hung up during the cut by dropping down.

However the benefit of the Rockler design, is you you aren't perfectly square it's not a problem, where let's say the Shop Fox is at a 10 degree angle, it wants to push your stock at that same angle.

The rockler design, with more rollers, would be perfect!

Glen,

Have you considered the triton stands. The triton website has a great video.

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-MSA200-...1216912&sr=8-1

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Glen, I asked the same question awhile ago; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61803 Some good info here.

I settled on the Lee Valley; http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...240,41060&ap=1

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've got three of these and I've got to say that they cannot be beat.

http://1manstand.com/

They are very steady and tolerant of any droop of materials.

Thanks guys for the words of wisdom and all the links. After reading the posts in these other links, I took a quick trip to my local Home Depot and bought the Rigid. I think it will work wonderfully, I like that it folds up flat, and I have saved a few bucks at the same time.

Another reason the Creek is so great.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Out feed support stand

Check out the Wolfcraft #6102
    Look at the wolfcraft website
    That stand is available from your local hardware store for about $46.00 or so. I think it is ACE hardware but it might be the other one.
    They ordered it in for me at the price shown. It is 3 stands in one - flat - roller - and balls. The hardware store had it under a different model number - something like 21011 or some such number (but I am close - I just can't remember)
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

I am in need of something too. I can see 2 requirements, only one of which is addressed by any of the ones suggested. Self aligning rollers or a flat surface so that the stock is not pushed off center. The other requirement is leveling. I thought I saw Norm talking about one on NYW that had some kind of system which was either very easy to level or automatic with respect to the saw table. IIRC, it also worked on uneven surfaces like at a construction site. It was a while ago and at the time I didn't need one so I wasn't really paying close attention. If there was such a thing it probably cost the same as a small Cadillac.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Blog Entries
    I would go with the Rockler, just because I have 3 legged bar stools in my shop and they always get knocked over. It's like a 3 legged dog in a fox hunt.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have the same one or something very similar to the shopfox stand. Its heavy and it takes up space even when not in use. Thats why its up in the attic right now. I have two folding stands, one is the pivot top and one is a roller stand. I cant find a pix of the pivot top (think its a Ridgid brand from HD) but here is the other one:

I like both since the fold up flat and are pretty stable in use. Both are on the cheaper side too, could have two for what one of the two you proposed.

The ShopFox rollers need to be set at 90 degrees to the work travel, while the Rockler can move in multi-directions, since it is a ball type roller.

I have a multi ball roller, with an attachment that I made, with an auxiliary tube style roller head that attaches over the ball roller head. The best of both worlds.

I don't think you will regret the purchase of the Rigid flip-top stand, Glen. Years ago I had a piece of long stock being ripped come off a roller bearing top and it was not fun. Something similar to putting a greased pig on top of a flag-pole ball.

I got one of the Rigids to try. Friction top.. flips to catch stock coming in and going out.. wide, stable base and extremely easy to adjust. I gave away my roller and ball bearing stands and have 6 Rigid flip tops at this point. A great stand and relatively cheap as far as cost.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    I have tried a couple of the roller-ball type and found them great in theory but not in practice. The balls leave indentation trails along the material if it is heavy at all. I prefer the swivel caster versions now.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

one man stand

I agree with Dan on the one man stand . Jim http://1manstand.com/