Thread: Design a Drafting Table

Design a Drafting Table

Well SMC'er,I know that this is becoming, or is a dinosaur with the invent of the computer.I know that the programs are easier to use and they do alot more, and getting cheaper.I am not,and will never become a wiz at computers so I have to resort to the old ways,"draw by hand"With the start of each project I like to have a ruff drawing then draw it out to scale and if the piece is not to big maybe draw it to full scale.I have always set at my workbench which is 40"x8' and draw it out.Well with any workbench,my has holes,scratches,alittle of everything else.My next project I would like to make myself a drafting table that tiltsand remain stable, and have the hardware for drawing.I can come up with the size that will fit in the space that is available,but am wondering about the tilting part,and where to purchase the hardware for drawing.I remember that they had a cable system that keep the straightedge parallel with the edges of the table.And that the table was cover with some sort of thin rubber mat.Also any ideals that would help make this design pleasing to the eyes and function.If you happen to have any pics of yours,please post.If you have any ideals on how I should construct mine(material,design,table top) and where to get more ideals and the nessecery hardware,please let me know.Surely I'm not alone on using a drafting table,or am I? Thanks, Is this a great place or what? Carroll

I really can't help you on the plans for a table but I can give you another idea.

There are surplus office furniture place around and I have seen for very good price drafting table with drafting machine on them that will do just what you want.

I am sure if you called around Houston you could find one at a good price.

Now if you just want to make it then make sure you post it when its done.

Carroll
    I switched from hand drawing to the computer a few years ago, I still miss all the tools and lead. You may consider a mechanical arm instead of a parrallel rule.Much faster and more accurate in my opinion. Glad to see someone is still an artist in this computer world!

Jeff

Carroll... this book of furniture projects has a drawing table. I remember seeing it and thinking it would be a great project. Im on my laptop right now, as soon as my wife is done with the desktop computer, I will scan you the cut list and exploded drawings. I would look on Ebay or at Amazon for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Proj...1305649&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lien View Post
    Carroll
    I switched from hand drawing to the computer a few years ago, I still miss all the tools and lead. You may consider a mechanical arm instead of a parrallel rule.Much faster and more accurate in my opinion. Glad to see someone is still an artist in this computer world!

Jeff
    This is a antique setup I restored a few years ago. Allways wanted one.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-25-2008 at 7:49 PM.

ShopNotes Issue 77 has a fold away tool stand that can be angled like a drafting table.

The stand is connected to the wall with "T" slot tracks. The legs are triangulated, and attach to the "T" track, so the table height is variable, and the angle of the top is variable. When not in use the table folds away, which is a nice feature.

Some people made the small top, and then made a bigger drafting size auxiliary table that mounts over the small top.

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/077/

"Shop Project
    page 18 / Fold-Away Tool Stand Now you see it, now you don’t. Build a rock-solid tool stand that folds out of the way in seconds."

A couple years ago I priced one of those drafting machines -- the thing that slides around the drafting table. IIRC, they were in the thousand-dollar region. That's before you even get to paying for the lumber to build the table itself. I'd scour the want ads for a used one!

I just checked the Houston craigslist for used drafting tables. There are several for sale for prices which are substantially less than the price of a new drafting arm. I suggest you buy one of the used tables. You can use is as-is, or use the arm on a table of your own design.

Arts/Reprogaphics stores would have the drawing surface ( and I have some in my shop for future use too )

My old drafting tables had metal rods with knobs/set screws to adjust the height and angle. It doesnt initially seem like rocket science or secret hardware to construct one, just some careful planning and thought.

Good Luck, and post some pics if you get one done.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I can get pics of the one I made. It is not anything to fancy but it does the job. When I go downstairs I will dig out the camera and take a few pics.

Carroll... here are the images from the book. Im sorry they arent the best, but it will give you an idea what the project looks like. If you dont want to buy the book, maybe your local library has a copy. Mine did.
    Attached Images Attached Images