Thread: Adding a 220 outlet

Adding a 220 outlet

Hey guys. I just got my new table saw today (actually it's a used Grizzly, but it's new to me) and need a 220 outlet for it. I by no means consider myself even the slightest bit knowledgable about electricity. So, what's a reasonable amount to pay an electrician to install a 220 outlet?? The outlet would be on the same wall as my circuit breaker box and about three feet away from it.
    Thanks!!

Smile My suggestion . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    Hey guys. I just got my new table saw today (actually it's a used Grizzly, but it's new to me) and need a 220 outlet for it. I by no means consider myself even the slightest bit knowledgable about electricity. So, what's a reasonable amount to pay an electrician to install a 220 outlet?? The outlet would be on the same wall as my circuit breaker box and about three feet away from it.
    Thanks!!
    If in fact your breaker panel is just a few feet from where you want your outlet, this is what I would do. Have seen it work well.

Clean all the junk and stuff around from the area where your panel is located. Now, take several pictures of the wall, the area, and the close ups of inside the panel. No such thing as to many pictures.

Now take these pictures with you to ongoing construction sites wherever you see electricians doing residential. Real world, construction work is slowing up in the residential sector . . . trades people are already hunting side work . . .

Tell them what you want, show them the pictures . . . . and I can assure you a skilled electrician will be at your house for some easy money. Cost with materials this way . . . maybe $200.00. Cost if you call an electrical contractor out of the phone book, about $300.00 to $500.00 minimum.

Suggested same to a buddy on the west coast about three months ago. Got his in for $150.00 and the electrician just happened to have extra wire & receptacle on his truck.

Of course this must be done with cash . . . .
    Last edited by Steven DeMars; 01-26-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: comment

It's $25 worth of parts and less than 1 hour labor. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the bill was $150-$200.

Prices like this are one reason so many of us do our own electrical work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post
    If in fact your breaker panel is just a few feet from where you want your outlet, this is what I would do. Have seen it work well.

Clean all the junk and stuff around from the area where your panel is located. Now, take several pictures of the wall, the area, and the close ups of inside the panel. No such thing as to many pictures.

Now take these pictures with you to ongoing construction sites wherever you see electricians doing residential. Real world, construction work is slowing up in the residential sector . . . trades people are already hunting side work . . .

Tell them what you want, show them the pictures . . . . and I can assure you a skilled electrician will be at your house for some easy money. Cost with materials this way . . . maybe $200.00. Cost if you call an electrical contractor out of the phone book, about $300.00 to $500.00 minimum.

Suggested same to a buddy on the west coast about three months ago. Got his in for $150.00 and the electrician just happened to have extra wire & receptacle on his truck.

Of course this must be done with cash . . . .
    Around the area where I live, you may not be able to find one that speaks english.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I had this done several years ago in a rental house out here in California (couldn't do it myself since it was a rental). I believe I paid around $300 for it. Similar situation - 6 ft. from the outdoor panel, two twistlock outlets 6 ft apart. He drilled through the wall and ran conduit to the outlets. Probably took him 2 hrs.

As long as you're having someone do it, consider future expansion, and have them run two outlets, 6 or 8 ft apart. That way you'll have power for your next 220v machine, and probably won't cost you much more.

-ed

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    It's $25 worth of parts and less than 1 hour labor. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the bill was $150-$200.

Prices like this are one reason so many of us do our own electrical work.
    But if you don't know what your doing, best you hire someone who does. Either that or burn down the shop AND the house.

Adding a 220 to a board, it should be balanced. An electrician needs to look at this as well. Just say'n this is not some thing to take lightly.

Just my .02cents

(if you know electricity, and can figure this out with no fear of burning things down, than your good for the go I'd guess. Just watts/ amps balancing the load are serious biz.)

Quote Originally Posted by John Zee View Post
    But if you don't know what your doing, best you hire someone who does. Either that or burn down the shop AND the house.

Adding a 220 to a board, it should be balanced. An electrician needs to look at this as well. Just say'n this is not some thing to take lightly.

Just my .02cents

(if you know electricity, and can figure this out with no fear of burning things down, than your good for the go I'd guess. Just watts/ amps balancing the load are serious biz.)
    Adding a 220 outlet to an existing Residential panel to service a 220 volt motor would by definition add a balanced load to the panel.

I can get my brother in law to come over and do it for you. Cheap too.
    He's the one that has the pool in his backyard.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 01-27-2008 at 6:20 AM.

Brian

He must be really good at a flying horse mount to get in and out of that pool?
    That's a great picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    Around the area where I live, you may not be able to find one that speaks english.
    Mike
    Uhmmm.... Just because they don't speak english really well, doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Mike
    Uhmmm.... Just because they don't speak english really well, doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing.
    Absolutely correct.

However it does mean the communication could be a problem and being unable to speak English probably means they aren't licensed in the local jurisdiction which could have an impact if said local jurisdiction requires licensed electricians to perform or sign off on the work prior to inspection.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

12. That's a 240 volt European power strip floating on the sandals.

Rob:
    Egads, you guys are complaining about the price that electricians get ...Here in Southern
    California I got two bids to put in a 220V circuit into my attached garage ..How about these prices ...$660 and $900?? Felt I was being taken to the cleaners...So, had a handyman run the wire from the box through the attic into my garage ($60) The
    conduit and receptacles and the new quad double pole breaker I installed..My total cost is around $150.

LOL. Nice picture. Maybe he's got the thing plugged into a GFI?

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Art Travers View Post
    Rob:
    Egads, you guys are complaining about the price that electricians get ...Here in Southern
    California I got two bids to put in a 220V circuit into my attached garage ..How about these prices ...$660 and $900?? Felt I was being taken to the cleaners...So, had a handyman run the wire from the box through the attic into my garage ($60) The
    conduit and receptacles and the new quad double pole breaker I installed..My total cost is around $150.
    Actually - that was a truly an estimate on my part based on $150/hour and adding 100% to the parts cost.