Thread: Jet 1236 bearings and Power Twist on Reeves

Jet 1236 bearings and Power Twist on Reeves

Jet 1236 headstock bearings
    It was snowing pretty good the other day so I decided to stay in the shop and install the new bearings I got on eBay for my Jet 1236 for $5. This is even though I have a new Jet 1442 on order. I didn't think it really needed them but wanted to get the experience. I have had the used 1236 for a few months and just assummed it was somewhat noisy by nature. It's about 10 years old. To my surprise, the right hand headstock bearing was actually rough and causing a lot of the noise. Also one of the bearings was a 6205Z where the other was a 6205ZZ. The Z's indicate shields and one bearing was only shielded on one side with grease oozing out and a little mixed in dirt and sawdust. Those were the stock bearings. I replaced both with 6205ZZ bearings, shielded both sides. Quite a difference. Also, as folks have mentioned, the stock grease is very stiff and in cold weather does not flow well. The new bearings are a lot smoother. Not a real hard job. Just needs a rawhide mallet, snap ring pliers, brass drift or equivalent, some Allen wrenches and some sand paper and oil for cleanup and lube. A gear puller would be helpful, but is not mandatory. Blocks of wood and an opening between vise jaws will work.

One thing to be said for these old Reeeves designs is that they are pretty easy to work on and modify.

A good source for bearings (see other sizes listed at left panel): http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...FRpdagodVmMrXg

Power Twist on Reeves Drive
    A couple of weeks ago I got a 3/8" (3L) Fenner Power Twist from Grizzly to try on my Jet. I installed it and it works fine but did not reduce the noise as it did on my other tools. I had been eating a regular black v-belt (Gates Power Flex 3L230) after a few weeks. The Power Twist belt shows no sign of degradation after a couple of weeks of use, whereas new black v-belts were showing some degradation almost immediately.
    When I changed out the bearings, I took the sheaves to the bench and cleaned the faces which were gored and uneven from wear with my orbital sander and a progression of Norton 3X disks through 320 grit. All the uneveness and black wavy depressions from belt wear were removed. The lathe is now quieter and running smoother.
    I know there is a lot of disagreement on using the Power Twist on a Reeves drive. If the lathe was reversable I would NOT use one, but despite what some folks think, it works just fine on my Jet 1236.
    Also, despite what the manual says, you do not need to remove the sheaves to replace a belt. Just put the drive at the lowest speed and you can walk the belt over the pulleys.

Thanks for the information. I have a Jet 1236 and am going to save your info for when I need it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You are welcome, Mike.
    If you need help, ask. I think the toughest part was getting the old right hand bearing off the spindle. After cleaning up the spindle and lubing it, putting it back together was easier. Just be sure not to damage the new bearings by using too hard a driver and/or not distributing the blows/pressure. You can make some wooden drivers without much work, or use the old bearing parts to beat on.

Isn't there 3 bearings on the 1236?

Jerry,
    Thanks for the info- I'm am definitely going to replace my 1236 bearings to cut down on noise and vibration.

I'm looking at a parts diagram and it shows a third bearing- 6006Z which looks like it goes in the shifting lever bracket. Did you replace this bearing also or was that unnecessary for some reason? Also, it I understand the Z description you have, this bearing is sealed only on one side- would a double seal be better?

Thanks
    Dick

Reeves drive?

What is the OD of the headstock shaft? The rest of the drive system Is exactly like the HF 34706, and parts ought to be interchangeable. I do know they are cheaper than JET. For instance I bought a dozen drive belts @ $1.49 apiece. You can download the HF manual for free at their website.
    Bob

OD Headstock Shaft

Bob,
    I'm not great with a mic and there's not a lot of room, but I get .9405in or 23.88 mm. That is on the shaft between the inner top Reeves pully and the shifting lever bracket. (that is also where the 6006Z bearing is).
    Thanks
    Dick

There are 3 bearings, two 6205ZZ and one 6006ZZ for the shifter.
    I didn't replace the 6006 because it was in good shape. It doesn't take much stress.
    The id of the 6205s is 25mm, almost an inch, which is press fit on the spindle, so that's the measurement at the bearing seats.
    The bearing in worst shape was the right hand end 6205 which takes the most beating.

The HF T34706 takes the same bearings.

I used all ZZ, shield both sides. Can't see what benefit a shield on one side would have (6205Z). The HF calls out ZZ's on both 6205s.