Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 8" Steel City Jointer- Pictures What would you do?

Question New 8" Steel City Jointer- Pictures What would you do?

Picked up a new 8" SC Jointer on Saturday from Redmond Machinery in ATL. When I got it wrestled up on the base last night I noticed a pit or chip out on the outfeed table about 3" from the left end 1" up from the edge on the surface of the table. It is about 1/4" basically round maybe 1/32 deep guessing.

Does anyone see a performace issue?

What approach would you take with Redmond/SC?

Outside of that the jointer was well packaged and looks wonderful. Can't wait to finsh the setup and flatten some wood.
    Last edited by Rickey Reynolds; 01-28-2008 at 9:44 PM. Reason: add pictures

I'd fill it with epoxy, lead or solder. Sand it smooth and use the jointer.

Dale
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

On the face (ground surface) or the edge (the casting)?

It shouldn't effect performance unless the surrounding surface is damaged (high or low from plane) but it is beyond what I would call superficial cosmetic issues.

If on the edge then I would consider it cosmetic only and not worry about it.

The Steel city is a good unit but I put it in the same classification as the Grizzly (which I have). If I wanted perfect cosmetics and polished surfaces than I need to pay the premium for them.

Pretty paint and a polish job doesn't help it make a crooked board any flatter.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey Reynolds View Post
    Picked up a new 8" SC Jointer on Saturday from Redmond Machinery in ATL. When I got it wrestled up on the base last night I noticed a pit or chip out on the outfeed table about 3" from the left end 1" up from the edge on the surface of the table. It is about 1/4" basically round maybe 1/32 deep guessing.

Does anyone see a performace issue?

What approach would you take with Redmond/SC?

Outside of that the jointer was well packaged and looks wonderful. Can't wait to finsh the setup and flatten some wood.
    If it's something that bothers you, call Redmond and see what they say. If your still unsure after that, then call Steel City. It doesn't sound like much to get too worked up about.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-28-2008 at 1:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    My dad has a jointer that must be at least 50 years old. The table is fine. I would not want to start with a blemish; it would haunt me. Of course I'm really anal so don't judge this based on the opinion of a man who hangs his shirts in the closet grouped by long and short sleeves and sub-grouped by the main color content.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It is on the ground surface. The location I don't think will impact performance assuming it does not spread. It should never have passed inspection however.

Blog Entries
    Just a P.s. If you contact Steel City I'll bet they will WANT to swap it out. That was their reaction on a minor issue of mine. We seem to be hearing more QC issues with SCTW, I hope they aren't slipping.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey Reynolds View Post
    It is on the ground surface. The location I don't think will impact performance assuming it does not spread. It should never have passed inspection however.
    I'd have to agree that it shouldn't of passed inspection now that I've seen it.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-29-2008 at 1:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just a P.s. If you contact Steel City I'll bet they will WANT to swap it out. That was their reaction on a minor issue of mine. We seem to be hearing more QC issues with SCTW, I hope they aren't slipping.
    Don't you think it would be alot simpler to just call Redmond first ? I don't think anybody but Steel City and their distributors has the authority to say what Steel City will WANT to do.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-28-2008 at 4:37 PM.

If it bothers you just call them and get it over with. I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Osowski View Post
    I'd fill it with epoxy, lead or solder. Sand it smooth and use the jointer.

Dale
    Ditto what Dale said. It wouldn't be worth the trouble for me to return it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

From what I have heard about SC is that they have good customer service, so I would ask that it be replaced. Should be no problem.
    Please let us know how it goes if you do decide to have it fixed.

"Just a P.s. If you contact Steel City I'll bet they will WANT to swap it out. That was their reaction on a minor issue of mine. We seem to be hearing more QC issues with SCTW, I hope they aren't slipping".. Glenn Bradley.

I have my doubts that is happening, Glenn. I think you are just seeing more Steel City sold at this point and your going to get defects, etc. in numbers. I would also contact Redmond first as they are the SC rep in this case. Then go directly to Steel City if not satisfied by Redmond which I doubt also. I have dealt with Redmond for years and they are excellent. My dealings with Steel City have been extremely positive also.

SC is not the only company that has issues of this nature. I recieved an industrial mortice machine that the truck freight carriew slammed into with a fork lift blade and crused the electrical control box cover. I have recieved Bosch that had a defective switch out of the box. I worked with both Merceded and BMW and it would be foolish IMO to think for one moment you cannot get a defect or even a lemmon auto on delivery.

But.. in lieu of immediately posting something like this.. I (and probably you and others) would simply call the source.. the problem gets fixed and it's done and over with. You don't need major surgery aimed at a bleeding artery when a simple band-aid would have stopped the bleeding on a flesh wound.

But.. if a real problem didn't get fixed.... then you would hear about it here and elsewhere. Just the horse should always be placed before the cart from my view of the world.

Would you buy an apple in the store if you noticed it had a rotten spot in it? Yes , you could fill it in and most likely not have a problem. But If I were in your shoes I would have just packed it up and returned it to the place of purchase. A hole in the table surface is totally unacceptable.

I've bought stuff at Redmond before and have had no problems returning defective tools. They were very accommodating. I'd call first to make sure they have a replacement. Then I'd pack it up and return it for a new one. Just my two cents.