Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 8" Steel City Jointer- Pictures What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Would you buy an apple in the store if you noticed it had a rotten spot in it? Yes , you could fill it in and most likely not have a problem. But If I were in your shoes I would have just packed it up and returned it to the place of purchase. A hole in the table surface is totally unacceptable.
    I agree, it defeats the purpose of buying a new tool. If he where to turn around and retry to sell the jointer the resale value would be impacted by the hole greatly. Have them order you a new bed. Then enjoy your new jointer!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey Reynolds View Post
    It is on the ground surface. The location I don't think will impact performance assuming it does not spread. It should never have passed inspection however.
    Rickey,
    Don't delay in calling customer service. For Steel City it is not a big deal to send out a new part. just my 2 cents.

Since you paid for a new jointer with no flaws that is what I would expect. If they didn't deliver that you have two choices:
    1. Ask for a new jointer replaced at their cost
    2. Request a discount for receiving damaged merchandise.

Personally, I would probably choose option 2 and I would be looking for a 10-15% discount. It will likely be cheaper for them to send you a cheque than it will be to swap you a new jointer.

Greg

Here are the pictures the pit is on the outfeed side and there is a small burr on the infeed edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey Reynolds View Post
    Here are the pictures the pit is on the outfeed side and there is a small burr on the infeed edge.
    That doesn't look like a chip or a pit, it looks like something hit it sometime after it was machined since it has a burr, the metal is compressed in both spots the way I see it. How was the packageing or crate ? Did it show any exterior damage around those locations ? If not it must of slipped by quality control somehow. What did Redmond or SC say about it ?
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-28-2008 at 10:03 PM.

[quote=Rickey Reynolds;758332]Picked up a new 8" SC Jointer on Saturday from Redmond Machinery in ATL.
    When I got it wrestled up on the base last night I noticed a pit or chip out on the outfeed table about 3" from the left end 1" up from the edge on the surface of the table.
    Chuck is right...it looks like a dent....and not that big a dent, at that.
    Gary

Packing was great it did not happen in transport IMO. I called Redmond about 1:00 on return call yet.

Heck yeah ... that's damage - and could affect performance. It WILL as-is - that burr alone will give you heck. I'd also be concerned about the straightness of the bed at this point - something hit hard enough to make that dent, it probably tweaked things a bit no doubt.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    Doesn't look like it happened in shipping but it would have to take a fork or something like that I would think. i would bet they'll work it out to your satisfaction.

I would get them to replace it -- you paid for a brand new machine and it should not be damaged on the tables...

Scot

Rickey,

It seems you have a small imperfection or flaw in the top of the jointer outfeed table. It would be prudent to notify Remond and SC for two reasons:
    1) In the future if you have any issues with the jointer outfeed table, which I doubt you will, you have followed the correct procedure in advising of a future possible warranty claim. Don't forget the model and serial number!
    2) You will have helped SC catch a problem that got past Quality Control, so they keep an eye on that particular "batch" to see if it is something other than an isolated case.

I have the same jointer and mine is great! My advise is report the problem, patch the blemish and enjoy the jointer.

Bob in Calgary

Definitely a dent caused by getting popped by something, Rickey. Neither would be a factor I would be concerned with as it won't affect a cut. I would take couple of light passes with a small file to knock off any jagged burr and put it to work.

But... I understand you're not me an may be concerned with cosmetics as most that purchase a new machine usually are. If so.. you did the right thing by calling Redmond to ask for a replacement if that is indeed what you wish and you certainly have a right to do so. Redmond is backed by Steel City, so it all falls back in Steel City's lap.

BTW.. from my dealing with them on 3 differenct machines, that's not a bad thing. They said 5 Year Warranty and everything I have seen so far indicates they mean 5 Year Warranty.

Good luck, Rickey....

Edit.. I just read Bob's reply after mine, so I will metion that one of the 3 SC machines I own is that jointer. I have run over 8000 linear feet through it in about 10 months and she just sits there beggin for more. ha.. ha...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 01-28-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Assume I did go the patch route what would be the best way to do that without potentially making it worse?

I'm suprised it didn't crack the casting. That would be my biggest concern that sometime in the near future it didn't develope a crack, or that there is one now that isn't visable. I'm not sure if it's something I'd want to live with.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-29-2008 at 10:00 AM.

The burr, I would just file/sand it and be done with it. However, the pit/hole/dent isn't something that I'd be happy with. As someone mentioned, it would definitely affect the resale value. I'm sure (from ALL of the great CS that has been heard from SC customers) that SC will take care of it no problem.

But didn't we have a great, big fiasco with Redmond awhile back? Something about they didn't want to really worry about getting a problem machine, or two?, taken care of and General stepped in and saved the day and was the hero? (Ya again to General!)

Anyone remember that episode?

Steel City will probably be all over getting the problem resolved. From the last go-round, Redmond might get back to you sometime in July. jmo
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.