Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New 8" Steel City Jointer- Pictures What would you do?

Aremco epoxy even though I don't know the cost? **But..... **I would wait till you hear back from Redmond before I did anything and wouldn't be a bad idea to just call Steel City customer service to see what there take is....

I would just leave it alone with the exception of taking any rough edge off it there is one if I went that route. **Again.. But..** a valid point has been brought up about a possible stress to cast iron in the table. So.. even if you do repair, I would get with Steel City and have them make a note of it in their service files with your serial number for future reference just in case the cast iron was stressed from a hard hit which it looks as if it took somewhere along the line.

Again.. IMO, at this point just wait for Redmond or call Steel City!
    BTW.. where are you located?

Regards..

Sarge..

Is this going to be another jointer/Redmond problem like last year's General jointer and Redmond problem...when General stepped in to end the stalemate.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=Redmond

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Upfold; 01-29-2008 at 5:30 PM.

Maybe I'm too picky....

If you were buying a new car with a scratch on the paint or a dent would you accept that? I work hard for my money and don't have a lot of extra income for tools. If I bought something new I would expect to have it in new condition. The dent in the table may not impact the performance but think about if you ever wanted to sell it. The resale price is now reduced because it is there.

I'd have Redmond or SC replace it. If Redmond won't stand by their sale then it is worth sharing that with the forum. It never hurts to share the thread with them as a motivating tool.

my 2 cents....

To be honest, I would have rather seen this thread start with I got this new jointer, there was a problem, I contacted the manufacturer/retailer. They fixed it or they didn't. Don't they have great or x level of service.

At this point, you can't just fill it. With the potential damage done to the manufacturer & retailer reputations', we really need to see what they say.

As a retailer, I can say that there are some things that are outside my ability to ensure perfect quality control. What I can do is make sure that my customer is happy that I went as far as I could to resolve the issue.

In your case, this isn't a $10 item. You put down some significant money for this machinery. You do deserve to be both happy with it and secure in the knowledge that should you resell it to upgrade to a larger jointer in the future, the only marks, blemishes, and rust will be there due to your maintenance and how you used or abused the tool.

I really do hope they fix your problem in a way that makes all or at least most of us consider using Redmond and Steel City in the future for our large purchases.

Best Regards,

Brodie Brickey

Just got a call from Rich at Redmond it did take about 22 hours but lets put that aside for right now. I have the jointer setting on the base in my shop at this point cleaned up but nothing else has been done. ERRRRRRRRR I can't wait to fire that baby up.

I picked up the jointer since Redmond is local for me and Rich suggested I bring it back 40 miles or so and he would swap it out. I suggested he deliver to me another jointer and pick up the damaged one. He indicated he would have to communicate with SC to see if they will pay for the new delivery. If he comes back with a no I will call SC personally. I will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey Reynolds View Post
    Just got a call from Rich at Redmond it did take about 22 hours but lets put that aside for right now. I have the jointer setting on the base in my shop at this point cleaned up but nothing else has been done. ERRRRRRRRR I can't wait to fire that baby up.

I picked up the jointer since Redmond is local for me and Rich suggested I bring it back 40 miles or so and he would swap it out. I suggested he deliver to me another jointer and pick up the damaged one. He indicated he would have to communicate with SC to see if they will pay for the new delivery. If he comes back with a no I will call SC personally. I will keep you updated.
    To me thats poor service on Redmonds part. I think I would call Steel City anyway.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-29-2008 at 8:36 PM. Reason: removed profanity

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    To be honest, I would have rather seen this thread start with I got this new jointer, there was a problem, I contacted the manufacturer/retailer. They fixed it or they didn't. Don't they have great or x level of service.

Best Regards,

Brodie Brickey
    I would have to agree, but I would allways call the retailer first, especially if I bought it local.

I have to wonder how many here would appreciate it if their customer, unhappy with a delivered product, contacted a forum of friends to air out their unhappiness before they were contacted and given a chance to correct the problem? This thread in total, like so many of similar nature are just wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones from Oregon View Post
    I have to wonder how many here would appreciate it if their customer, unhappy with a delivered product, contacted a forum of friends to air out their unhappiness before they were contacted and given a chance to correct the problem? This thread in total, like so many of similar nature are just wrong!
    I can certainly understand this view from the perspective of the dealer/manufacturer, but I have to disagree with your final sentence. Some people are simply uncomfortable calling up a dealer (or manufacturer) about a problem without first getting a sense of how much they should worry about it in the first place. And to get that sense many post questions asking other, perhaps more experienced woodworkers, what their experience is with this sort of problem. You might argue that everyone should think for themselves and that they don't need to know the opinion of others in order to call a company, but having some collective wisdom can make you feel at ease when dealing with such situations. I don't think Rickey has done a disservice to Redmond or Steel City, and if you reread his original post, you will see that his tone is quite positive overall--he was excited about his purchase and was simply asking if this dent would be an issue and sought advise for dealing with the companies. Why is that "just wrong?"

The way I look at it Redmond and SC have the chance to write the end to this thread. I would think they would happy to do that. Had I just called them and worked something out I may not have even posted. Now they can prove to the woodworking population what kind of CS they really have. Besides what would be the purpose of this site if its not to obtain advise from those who have been down similar roads.

Rickey that looks like a screw imprint. I suggest that a HEAVY item with a screw underneath was placed on top of the table under pressure - i.e. like the pressure a forklift could exert!

Yes it might well have been. It certainly has ridges like a screw with make smashed with a ton of pressure. What kills me is some slacker just let it go. It's certainly not Redmonds fault but as the retailer of the item they have to take the responsibility. Hopefully they will do the right thing.

Thumbs up

Update on the Damaged Steel City Jointer

I have worked out with Redmond Machinery in Atlanta to replace the damaged jointer. I had hoped they would have jumped and replace it this week however I am going to load it back up tomorrow and go and get the replacement myself. They would not get to it until next week sometime.

Overall I think Redmond stepped up and did the right thing.

I will keep the forum updated hopefully wilth a fully functional in perfect shape kick ass 8" jointer in a few days.

I guess it's a matter of opinion as to whether or not Redmond did good this time. I am of the opinion that yet again Redmond has let down a member of this forum. They should've offered to deliver and pick up ASAP or offer to make it worth your while if you have to do the 80 mile round trip. Some people will see this differently. To each their own. For me this is just another reason why I'll never give them my business.

Someone thought that they should've been contacted first before posting to this forum. They dropped the ball so hard the last time they were grilled on this forum I don't think I would've given them that courtesy. This time they have done only the bare minimum to satisfy the customer again. This time they may not have caused the damage but they sold it and are responsible for it, in my opinion. And why do people keep shopping there? I guess some people are just more tolerant than other people.

Bruce