Thread: Tools & Accessories advice for a newbie

Tools & Accessories advice for a newbie

Hi,

I've been reading all I can here about tools and small shop layouts and have learned quite a bit. However, I was wondering if someone could point me to a recommended list of tools and accessories that a new woodworker would want and use for most tasks.

For example, let's say I want to build a desk with drawers, what would be the essential tools for this (beyond table saw, router, chop saw)...such as size and number of clamps, finish nailer, types of jigs, safety items, etc. A list of the most used items a seasoned woodworker would have, and that are affordable to the newbie, would be very helpful as I piece together a shop and start on larger projects....

Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Canniff View Post
    Hi,

I've been reading all I can here about tools and small shop layouts and have learned quite a bit. However, I was wondering if someone could point me to a recommended list of tools and accessories that a new woodworker would want and use for most tasks.

For example, let's say I want to build a desk with drawers, what would be the essential tools for this (beyond table saw, router, chop saw)...such as size and number of clamps, finish nailer, types of jigs, safety items, etc. A list of the most used items a seasoned woodworker would have, and that are affordable to the newbie, would be very helpful as I piece together a shop and start on larger projects....

Thanks very much.
    You will know as you get more experience. Not everyone is the same when it comes to tool use. Affordable ? lol, you will learn that also.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-28-2008 at 2:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, experience being that thing you need a few seconds before you get it, let's try this . . .

I make small tables, jewelry boxes, drawer units, decorative shelf/mirror units, bookcases and the like, I work with rough lumber whenever possible to save money and get better pieces (around here anyway). So, milling equipment is important to me. In addition to what you've listed, I'll add a jointer (Griz), planer (DeWalt), a good Random Orbit Sander (Bosch), a drill press (many good ones), a bandsaw (Griz) and of course dust collection (many good ones).

Now the previous is a sweeping and loose statement if ever there was one. You may find that you start out with dimensioned lumber sanded on four sides like from the BORG. This will serve you well as your skills develop and minimize your need for milling tools. As you gain experience and move toward the type of things you like to build, your needs will become better defined.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't benefit from a decent set of brad point bits (Lee Valley or the like, not Harbor Freight), a set of chisels (I started with some Marples and they are still used regularly. You may want to drop this guy a line http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74977), a hand plane (wide selection), cordless drill (DeWalt, Makita, Bosch), sanding blocks (HF, a buck each on sale, better than the $5 ones at the paint store), forstner bits (Woodcraft and Rockler regularly have a cheap starter set on sale that aren't bad) and a good starter set of router bits (chamfer, round over, flush, straight and decorative). On the bits, I buy the cheap ones (MLCS or the like) and then get good ones (Whiteside or Freud) of the ones I find I use a lot.

Well, now that everything is quite clear . . . . ;-)

P.s. A good solid heavy bench and a foxtail brush.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-28-2008 at 2:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    You will know as you get more experience. Not everyone is the same when it comes to tool use.
    EXACTLY!

I always laugh when I see articles listing "10 essential tools for woodworkers". Invariably, they list at least one item I have no use for, and omit at least one that I use every day.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Chambless View Post
    EXACTLY!

I always laugh when I see articles listing "10 essential tools for woodworkers". Invariably, they list at least one item I have no use for, and omit at least one that I use every day.
    and leave off the most essential tool of all ...

Patience.

Three things...

I'll say:

1. Skills: David Finck's "Making & Mastering Wood Planes", http://www.amazon.com/Making-Masteri.../dp/140272022X

2. A Bench: http://pages.friendlycity.net/~krucker/Bench/index.htm

3. Inspiration: Rob Millard makes this furniture, http://www.americanfederalperiod.com/, in this shop, http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...splay?id=14854. 'Nuff said.

'Course, I make my money selling software!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    and leave off the most essential tool of all ...

Patience.

Where can I get some of that -- preferably via Next Day Air?
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Thanks Glenn and Rob, that was very helpful.

The thing is when I do even the most hack carpentry jobs (I won't call them "woodworking" yet), I wonder whether I should be using a different tool or doing it a different way.

I guess maybe I need to buy a few books and read more articles in the woodworking mags to get an idea of the things I need.

But thanks again...have made note of the items suggested and will look for them.

The thing is when I do even the most hack carpentry jobs (I won't call them "woodworking" yet), I wonder whether I should be using a different tool or doing it a different way.
    I have been woodworking for many years and there will allways be a question of which is the right tool for some jobs. It's part of the planing and setup process that many non woodworkers overlook. It all takes time and experience, and I'm still learning and buying tools.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-28-2008 at 7:25 PM.

I wonder whether I should be using a different tool or doing it a different way.
    Slowly ... VERY slowly ... i'm starting to get a better sense for when the tool i'm using is the wrong tool for the job. It took me a good dozen or so "lessons" where I struggled struggled struggled with what I had and then used a tool designed for that specific task and was amazed at how much easier the job was while also giving myself a jab in the arm for wasting so much energy trying with the wrong tool.

I'll give you an example...

One day I had to fasten a cable to the side of the house. The wall was made of stucco and I struggled for at least an hour with those big staples (like 8d nails bent into a U shape). After I bent at least 3 or 4 of 'em and probably caused the death of at least a few nerves in my thumb, it dawned on me that maybe a pilot hole would be useful. So I ran to the shop, thinking "I'm a man! I'm a tool man! I got something here that'll do the job.". Pulling out my 15.6v cordless drill and a 5/32" twist drill bit, I head back to the wall to concquer the dreaded stucco. Well ... the first try was most successful in that I actually made a dent about 1/4" deep before the bit broke. The 2nd attempt with a 3/16" bit was less fun ... it stopped about 1/8" and just kept spinning. "Boy that stuff looks like cement ..." ... Huh, ya think?!! ... The bulb finally snapped on ... I have masonry bits! So off to get a masonry bit out of the shop.

Well ... I thought I'd solved it. About 4 hours later, I got 5 or 6 staples into the stucco. Thinking I'd found the right tool for the job. Then at the tool store some months later, I discovered the marvel that is the Hammer Drill. I used one on a demo chunk of concrete - a 1/2" hole in 4" thick 'crete in 30 seconds?!?! I felt ashamed that I'd spent 4 hours on a half dozen staples, but I also knew I'd done the right thing. I had no further needs for a hammer drill at the time (and 4 years later, I still don't) so it's good that I only suffered along with the masonry bit instead of plunking down the $$ on the hammer drill.

I guess all that was for an example of what the experience can be like. If the job you're doing with the tools you're using is really a struggle; the kind of struggle you have when using a shoe to pound in a nail; you've probably got the wrong tool. Like the struggle you face when trying to use a pair of pliers to work on your first bicycle ... remember those days? How many 9/16" nuts did I round off on my back wheel? How many 1/2" ones on the front?! ... Oh the agony.

It's not quite as formal as a list like this, but here are the basic questions going through my mind when I find that I'm having trouble performing a task:

Am I doing any damage? (To the work OR to the tool).
    Is it requiring more muscle than it feels like it should?
    Will I die of old age before this works?
    Is it easy? The right tool should make the job easy (usually).
    How have I seen it done before?
    Am I limited by my skills or is this clearly just not what the tool was designed for?

If you're struggling, you've probably got the wrong tool. Now this is a different kind of struggling than say cutting a miter and not having it line up. This is a skill limitation rather than a tool limitation. If you know you have the basic tools and you're trying to do a basic operation but still find yourself struggling, that's likely a technique or skill problem. Thankfully those usually don't require your wallet to fix! Step back, think it through, check your settings, make sure you've given that piece every possible chance to work right.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Chambless View Post
    Where can I get some of that -- preferably via Next Day Air?
    Send me check. The more, the better.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I'm in the same boat. I wanted so badly to pester everyone in here with questions and things I had wondered about.
    Then, every time I thought of a question, a quick search had a thread with the answer. It's been most frustrating! I can't ask any questions!
    I have also found that just by getting out in the garage and doing something, the answer as to what I needed became obvious.
    I decided to start with building a workbench, modeled after the Workbench Magazine Space-Saving Home Shop Issue No. 297 (http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/mai...omeshop01.html)
    When I routed my first tongue & groove joint, I actually ran into the kitchen to show my wife, "Hey, I can do this!"
    I learned a lot by watching videos on the web too.
    I liked Wood Magazine's Basic Built series, they actually walk through a couple of simple projects.
    (http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/cat...asics_home.xml)
    Woodworking Online has a great series of videos too that cover just about everything.
    (http://www.woodworkingonline.com/)
    As for me, I've found that my new set of steel rulers is just what I needed,
    and for that matter, all the measuring devices I've purchased such as
    digital calipers, brass thickness bars, and straight-edges are essential.
    I'm much more accurate in my measuring and layup now.
    I'm amassing a lot of various clamps too. <g>
    I peruse my list of online stores, the borgs and chain stores for sales every few days.
    I have a couple of magazines full of jig ideas for various tools and I've purchased some Poplar, MDF and Hardboard from the borg and I'm getting ready to make some of my first basic jigs.
    But, I gotta say SMC has had the answer to every question I've been able to think of.
    You need a jig or even think you may need some tool accessory and the answer and advice as to what to do with it is right here.
    - Jim

Nail sets, claw hammer, tack hammer (not just small claw hammer), really good sanding block. I have several syles of small squares and prefer one style sometimes and a different style another time. Get a cheap apron and a cheap belt and see what features you use before you buy a good one.

Personally I believe that if I have three of something I can always find one of them such as tape measures. (Others have differrent theries.)

Not all tape measures are accurate. Not all 1/4 sheet sandpaper fits all 1/4 sheet sanders.