Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Finished - I'm hanging up my tools

I'm Finished - I'm hanging up my tools

First - mods if this needs to be moved, go for it.

Well after 4 years of living my dream job, I've had to make the difficult decision to close down Unni Woodworks.

It has been a fantastic go, but I've just plain run out of money! I still firmly believe that one can earn a living building custom furniture, but I learned that you must have stores of money to aid during the ramp up period which can be very lean. For those that don't know, I got laid off from the IT world about 4 1/2 years ago with a little money in the bank and decided to start this thing. Kind of the cart before the horse. I guess looking back starting on the side may have been a more prudent decision .

I learned more about woodworking and business and about what I'm capable of in the last 4 years than I could have ever hoped and loved every minute of it. Certainly the input from you all along the way has been immeasureable and for that I say thank you!

Now that I've made the decision having been heavy hearted for a couple of months, I'm actually looking forward to doing something different - not quite sure what (looking toward sales) and the stability that goes with it. I'm looking forward to actually doing things around the house again and not having to worry (as much) about how the bills get paid. And I know that my wife and two little girls are feeling better and less stressed.

As basement woodworking is not an option right now, I'm cleaning out my shop so please watch for the going out of business sale in the classified section.

I'll be checking in to SMC as usual, but may be more of a provider of my experience versus asking questions.

Thanks so very much,
    -joe

Oh, and for those that are in the middle of the struggle or are contemplating woodworking as a living - keep at it and be confident. Note the first line in my signature - I live by it. If you don't know what it means, look it up as the TOS preclude me from translating .
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Sorry to hear that Joe

I'm sure it was a very tough decision for you. Best wishes for the future.

See ya around the Creek,
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Joe...I'm sad to hear that, but understand. It must be very hard to start up a business that produces a physical product in the US these days. Hopefully, after a stay, you go back to woodworking again, but as an enjoyable hobby.

-Jeff

Sorry for your loss but I'm glad you feel good about the decision. I've always wanted to do what you did but don't have the money or the skill to get started yet. Good luck in your new endeavours.

Sorry to hear it Joe, but I certainly understand. I tried going on my own for about 5 years refinishing antique furniture and building a few custom decks, sheds, etc. it was very frustrating for me the last couple years, and I hung it up also. I still have my tools, but alot of the passion is gone now. I think there are several factors that were against me. I don't live in a highly populated city ( 70K ). Refinishing antiques became a no no according to Antiques Road Show, the economy, and too much work for family and friends.

Very sorry to hear that things did not work out as planned.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Sorry to hear that Joe.

Good luck and stay in touch!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I know the feeling I am in IT and almost left for a couple teaching positions in woodwork. I think that would be a great way to get started access to a shop, time to build cliental and a salary! Unfortinally the salary was just not one I could buy a saw stop on

Anyhow it is a very tuff field but at least you gave it a shot and learned in the process and that is worth it alone even if the shop didn't take off the way you expected. I think everyone should try running there own business at some point I use to run a bike store learned more about life, money and people through that than any schooling. Again sorry to see talent leave the field.
    -=Jason=-

Joe,
    Sorry to hear things didn't work out. Hope you rethink getting rid of everything and keep enough to do something once in a while at least. Make sure to stay in touch here.

Dave

Hi Joe, sorry to hear, I have seen some of your stuff on your site and here, quite nice. Im a fellow Ma. guy who lives near Seattle now.
    I build full time, I usualy only have 1-3 pieces ahead of me. I find that most (%90) have no clue how much something custom is going to cost them.
    Im fortunate that my fiance has a good job and can afford to pay most of the bills. I know in the future I may have to find a more steady career which I once had in LA until I was gently pushed to live up here.
    I still have a hard time with woodcrafters not making as much as a plumber, electrician , tiler, GC . Hope one day it will change but I doubt it.
    Most of my biz comes off of craigslist.

Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that Joe...sorry that I never got up to the stomping grounds to visit your shop. I'm thinking you'll land on your feet running.

Now a test...do you remember our old high schools mascot?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Beautiful web site. Do you think your Lawrence location might have contributed to the problem? Do you want consoling (and questioning) visitors?

Good luck in sales. Or whatever.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out Joe. Good luck with wherever life takes you next.

Joe sorry to hear about your situation. But remember that some or our most famous entrepeneurs had failure after failure before they hit it big. This is just a stepping stone to your sucessful future. The best of luck to you. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

You're richer because of this...don't doubt it one bit. Chin up, move forward!

Best of luck!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.