Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use the right ext on TS for?

What do you use the right ext on TS for?

I have a guide/circular saw that I use for sheet goods and would never use the TS for large sheet goods again. In another thread, "36 or 52 inch rails?", several people really like the extra space, but did not mention what they need the space for. I wonder, other than cutting wider sheet goods, why do you need the long rails?

Under my 30" fence rails, it turns out my mini fridge fits perfectly. So that's what's under mine.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I have a router mounted in mine.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Blog Entries
    Mine mostly collects stuff. Parts that have already been cut, scrap, tape measures, pencils, square, etc...
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Exactly what the other Lee said.

I intended to put a router station in there, but never got around to it. I have cut a few pieces over 30", but not much. Nothing safe or accurate about one person manuevering a 3/4" full sheet of plywood anywhere near a spinning blade !!

I am in the sme boat as the Lees although I do sometimes process sheet-goods on the TS.
    Last edited by Larry Fox; 01-29-2008 at 2:29 PM.

Mine copies both Lees

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gustafson View Post
    ... I wonder, other than cutting wider sheet goods, why do you need the long rails?
    Got the long rails. Don't cut sheet goods on the table saw - too cumbersome and awkward, use a shop built panel saw instead. Makes a good table for staging stock, small assembly, holding cutoffs and other clutter, and as a "roof" for a cabinet to hold all the table saw related stuff - blades, jigs, setup blocks, zero clearance inserts, etc. As far as the fence goes, it's rarely on that part of the rails beyond 30" except to get it out of the way for crosscutting - much of which is done on a SCMS anyway.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have 52" rails and built a mobile saw station based on a design from Danny Proulx so I have storage underneath and in my shop it will also double as my workbench. I currently just cover it with heavy paper to keep the glue and junk off my cast wings and when I lock all 8 wheels it does not budge.

James

Mine collects stuff and holds up the rip fence.

Storage.

Seriously, for a saw that one regularly cuts larger panels, the right-side extension does make a bit of sense. But I'm considering cutting mine down on my slider as I really do not need that "capacity" in that direction and could use a foot and a half more lateral space in my shop in exchange.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A 6 HP Shop Vac sits permanently under mine. The 2 1/2" runs up and over-head.. over.. and down to catch dust above while the stand-alone 6" cyclone hose enters the rear main port.

Sarge..

We have the 50" fence and rails, because we process sheet goods on our Unisaw in conjunction with the Excalibur sliding table. And hubby has built a cabinet under that right wing to hold blades, push blocks and sticks, and wrenches.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I will have my router mounted in the extension table soon. I have only had the router and lift for a few years. Usually I use it for assembly and finishing area. Underneath there is some storage which will become more organized in time. It also serves to support long stock on the RAS.

Mike

It is not a place to put stuff - it is a 'staging area'.

No matter how much gets piled on and how bad it looks, I am sure that I will need everything there at any moment.

I do use it for sheet goods once in a while but then I need to clean it off first.

-Roger