Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Milling Project

The rest of the pics...

Oak and walnut sundae with a cherry on top

Black cherry

Oak, hickory, and maple

Oak and stickers

And one of the largest pieces of black cherry I've ever seen. Its not mine...but I'm working on making it mine

That looks like a great time Daniel! i am in the process of trying to find someone to mill a bunch of cherry maple and apple that i have. i have thought about just biting the bullet and buying my own mill.... but i shouldn't.

nice looking wood. now hurry up and wait to let it dry!

Cheers,
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    That looks like a great time Daniel! i am in the process of trying to find someone to mill a bunch of cherry maple and apple that i have. i have thought about just biting the bullet and buying my own mill.... but i shouldn't.

nice looking wood. now hurry up and wait to let it dry!

Cheers,
    Nick
    Have you tried calling Wood-Mizer yet? If you haven't, call them and ask them for local owners who are for hire. I toyed with the idea of purchasing a smaller more manual Wood-Mizer, like the LT15. But after looking at everything, for my situation, this was a better route to go for me.

Hey, Daniel, just caught your thread that you updated from way back when. Looks like you're getting a lot of stuff to play with. You're welcome to load everything up and bring it down here to cut. It was only 103 today - but a lot less humidity than yours, I imagine.
    And now for something completely different....

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel McCurdy View Post
    Have you tried calling Wood-Mizer yet? If you haven't, call them and ask them for local owners who are for hire. I toyed with the idea of purchasing a smaller more manual Wood-Mizer, like the LT15. But after looking at everything, for my situation, this was a better route to go for me.
    I haven't contacted them yet. the main issue at hand is that one of the logs i want to mill is a maple trunk. it is 34" at the butt, and at about 5' high it branches of into two. across that crotch it is about 4.5'.... im pretty sure WoodMizer doesn't make anything that big.... one option i am considering is buying an Alaskan mill setup. ya know, everyone needs a 121cc chainsaw with a 50" bar! right?

Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    I haven't contacted them yet. the main issue at hand is that one of the logs i want to mill is a maple trunk. it is 34" at the butt, and at about 5' high it branches of into two. across that crotch it is about 4.5'.... im pretty sure WoodMizer doesn't make anything that big.... one option i am considering is buying an Alaskan mill setup. ya know, everyone needs a 121cc chainsaw with a 50" bar! right?

Nick
    No mfg I know of sells anything that size to the public. I know someone near here that built a custom band saw that will handle 50". Yes, a chainsaw mill is the other option. Although, if you're not planning on cutting much else that size, its probably not worth your investment. I'd search around for somebody who has a large CSM and see if they'd be willing to slice it up for you. The guy that milled my logs with the wood-mizer is going to be getting a large CSM pretty soon. We'll be using that to slice up that big black walnut...and that big cherry if I can work out a good deal.

Gosh I am Jealous! Nice Haul!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Gosh I am Jealous! Nice Haul!
    Wait until you see this weekend's load. Some of the coolest looking maple I've ever seen (I'll try to get a couple of pictures tonight). We still have A LOT to go too!

More pics...

Here are a couple more pics for you guys...

Some really nice ambrosia maple

Neat ambrosia maple with curly figure

Even more pics...

And some more...

Red oak slab with some nice quarter sawn ray flecks.

Some spalted hard maple. This stuff has a lot of character.

Wow...some really nice material there!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...some really nice material there!
    Thanks Jim! Yeah, I'm very excited! I didn't get any good shots of the cherry and walnut before I stacked it...but I might be moving that pile back on top of the maple to make room for the additional red and white oak. I'll get some water and toss it on some boards for a couple of pics before I re-stack.